Bonderman: a name no one mentions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonderman: a name no one mentions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:51 am

...plus, he's in the AL Central getting pretty decent divisional matchups. Sure the Chisox have some pop and the Twins are hard to beat but, for a young pitcher, he won't be facing anything like the Yankees/Bosox/ Os that Kazmir gets matched up with or the Mariners/ Angels that Harden will face in divisional play.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:07 pm

I'm bullish on Bonderman. Last year he threw for a 4.89 ERA with a 1.31 WHIP and 170K. Those are decent fantasy numbers for any pitcher but VERY promising for a 22-year old prospect. In the second half, he threw for a 3.7 ERA and 1.10 WHIP. He was incredible in September (2.53 and 1.05). In spring training, he has been tearing it up, showing great velocity, control, and movement. He's even got a new change-up that looks good. Plus, as far as I can tell, he's got no injury risks (blisters, elbows, alien parasites) that can derail a young pitcher.

The bottom line is that all signs point to an emerging young pitcher who is consolidating his skills. He's ready for a breakout. Maybe not in 2005, but VERY soon.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:12 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:I'm bullish on Bonderman. Last year he threw for a 4.89 ERA with a 1.31 WHIP and 170K. Those are decent fantasy numbers for any pitcher but VERY promising for a 22-year old prospect. In the second half, he threw for a 3.7 ERA and 1.10 WHIP. He was incredible in September (2.53 and 1.05). In spring training, he has been tearing it up, showing great velocity, control, and movement. He's even got a new change-up that looks good. Plus, as far as I can tell, he's got no injury risks (blisters, elbows, alien parasites) that can derail a young pitcher.

The bottom line is that all signs point to an emerging young pitcher who is consolidating his skills. He's ready for a breakout. Maybe not in 2005, but VERY soon.

While it is a real possibility that he breaks out in 05, I don't think he is ready yet. People are putting a lot of stock on his last 8 starts against weak teams and lineups. I did and I pegged him as a late round sleeper until everyone and their mother started thinking the same.

I still like him and I think he will take another step forward but not to the level that most people are. 06 will be his coming out party.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:35 pm

I am a Bondy supporter. I feel that his finish to last season was top notch and more of an indicator of a learning curve than playing weak teams. He has done nothing this Spring to dispute that. Even though he is only 22, he is mature beyond his years.

I have him on a couple of teams and have drafted him in the 14th and 12th round of 12 team leagies. I expect his ERA to be slightly below 4 with >180 Ks, a WHIP around 1.20 and >14 wins. A bargain in the middle rounds.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:14 pm

the clean medical history is another big plus, IMHO...there are so many SP who've had issues of one sort or another, even if they weren't 'serious' at the time, some 'twinges' that they had last year or whenever can mysteriously erupt...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Pochucker » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:34 pm

Its all about expectations! If you expect him to win 16/17 220 innings 200+ Ks and you draft accordingly you probably will be dissappointed and a more sure thing will have gotten away from you.
I went into my money league targeted him as my #4 starter and Penny as my #5 . Worked ou as I got Bonderman at 16/17th rd and Penny couple rds later.
Im just hoping for #4 starter production slightly under 4 era about 13/14 wins and 160/180 ks
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Tavish » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:43 pm

His second half is why he is getting overrated. He did great against two of the worst offenses in the league who were throwing AA hitters out there. Even during his "hot" stretch when he went against decent offensive clubs he had major problems.

HOOTIE wrote:TAVISH, so are you a bit scared of him, or would he be on your fantasy team?

I'm not scared to have him on my team, I would be scared to rely on him as one of my top pitchers. He isn't on my fantasy teams this year because the going rate for him has been more than I would be willing to gamble.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby LBJackal » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:53 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Bonderman is the talk of the town and won't have an ERA close to 4 this year. It'll be higher than that. A LOT of his owners will be disappointed. I see no reason to own him given the inflated value so many people have for him. Keeper leagues are a different story but I'd still probably trade him because of his perceived value right now.

Any reason you feel this? The stats would show otherwise, he had better control and better numbers overall in the 2nd half. He seems primed to improve greatly on his 04 numbers. Plus he gets a lot of Ks.

K's are all anybody ever looks at. He also walks way too many, and allows a lot of HRs. His 2nd half was good, but look who he faced. His 3 best games were against KC once and TB twice. Yes he's improving, but he has a lot more to go before he's a good #2 or #3 fantasy SP. Some people think this is the year he breaks out, but I usually don't pay for the stats I'll get IF the player breaks out. Yes you pay a premium for a guy like Bonderman with the potential to put it together and have a great year, but not as high a premium as I see him going for.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:54 pm

I agree with Tavish more or less although his ST has made me more of a believer.

It all comes down to price - If you can get him after the 13-14th rd in standard leagues, great. Unfortunately Ive seen him go 4-5 rds earlier than that, and I wont jump that high for him.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:00 pm

Tavish wrote:His second half is why he is getting overrated. He did great against two of the worst offenses in the league who were throwing AA hitters out there. Even during his "hot" stretch when he went against decent offensive clubs he had major problems.

I always hear this and you know he only pitched against KC once, TB doesn't have that bad of an offense ... by no means a AA line up. Also you never bring up that he had good games against the White Sox, Angels, Red Sox, and Orioles. All of which are very good line ups. His ratio's improved from K/BB to whip even in months were his ERA is high, that for me is more telling on his improvement over the 2nd half then 1 or 2 games at the end of the year.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers