Let's go Moose hunting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's go Moose hunting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:34 am

Mussina is my ace in my AL-only league. I'm really hoping he does well, aside from when he plays the Sox. }:-)
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:46 am

Moose still has it. Yes, he's getting older, but look at his post-All Star numbers when he finally got healthy: 57 IP, 3.45 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 57 K. Not too shabby. I wouldn't expect a return to his 2001 form, but something close to 2003 is reasonable to expect. He's a solid #2, let alone #3.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Doc19 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:49 am

Does anyone think that Moose will outperform Harden this year? I had the option of picking between the two on draft day and went with Mussina due to run support... wondering if I made a mistake.

Having said that, I think he can post 16-19 wins, 3.7 ERA and 175 K's...
Doc19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Steve-o » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:57 am

Doc19 wrote:Does anyone think that Moose will outperform Harden this year? I had the option of picking between the two on draft day and went with Mussina due to run support... wondering if I made a mistake.

Having said that, I think he can post 16-19 wins, 3.7 ERA and 175 K's...

I have Moose several slots over Harden on my rankings. I think you made the right choice. I have him in a couple of leagues as well.

If anyone lives in the NYC area, Michael Kay told an interesting story about Moose (the first year the yankees signed him) on the radio last night. Back when Kay was doing radio for the Yankees he did a three minute spot with him where Moose acted like a complete child, that Moose was so pissed off that he had to give an interview after a game that he would take very long pauses on radio and then give very short answers. Kay swore he would never talk to the guy again. A guy who wrote for a NY paper confirmed that Moose was incredible difficult to work with.

Usually I think Kay is a hack, probably because of my Yankee hating bias, but insight into real player personalities in always interesting to me.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Conner » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:09 pm

Steve-o wrote:If anyone lives in the NYC area, Michael Kay told an interesting story about Moose (the first year the yankees signed him) on the radio last night. Back when Kay was doing radio for the Yankees he did a three minute spot with him where Moose acted like a complete child, that Moose was so pissed off that he had to give an interview after a game that he would take very long pauses on radio and then give very short answers. Kay swore he would never talk to the guy again. A guy who wrote for a NY paper confirmed that Moose was incredible difficult to work with.

Usually I think Kay is a hack, probably because of my Yankee hating bias, but insight into real player personalities in always interesting to me.

Assuming you live in New york, I'm surpirsed that this was "insightful" to you.

It is well known that the media hates Mike Mussina, and that, at this point, Mike Mussina hates the media. He's just not a talkative guy, and routinely gives very short answers to questions. The media hates not having lots of quotes to fill up their articles with, because that means they actually have to come up with their own material.

He also happens to be an incredibly smart person, and isn't afraid to tell a reporter that he's asked a stupid question or said something that's factually wrong.

Michael Kay has been telling that story for a long time now, by the way. Rob Dibble has also publicly been at odds with Mike Mussina for a while....He's said that Roger Cedeno and Mike Mussina are two guys that will never be on his radio show. I doubt that Mike Mussina cares.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve-o » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:12 pm

Conner wrote:Assuming you live in New york, I'm surpirsed that this was "insightful" to you.

I moved here just about 18 months ago. Thus the fabulous Brewers Logo.

Yeah, Kay said that Moose was a smart guy and that he probably didn't give a rat's a$$ what Kay said.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:41 pm

My thoughts on Mussina can be found here:

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... ht=mussina

Stud.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Octavian » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:15 pm

Moose looked like his old self in the playoffs, which if you really look at it... was the beginning of his season. He had his injuries earlier in the year and that really slowed him and he was slow to recover, he's no spring chicken anymore. He should do well enough but I don't think he'll outpitch Harden, that might be too tall a task for the 36 year old Moose, but he WILL be effective. I'd say a solid 3 guy, 14-17 wins, 3.50-4.00 ERA, 150-175k, or there abouts. That is of course if he's healthy all year round. Plus, last year he was the "Ace" of the Yankee staff, this year Unit will take that job and with Pavano behind him, there's a lot less pressure on Moose to perform, and that should aid in a return to form.
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Conner » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:18 pm

SominaDei wrote:Plus, last year he was the "Ace" of the Yankee staff, this year Unit will take that job and with Pavano behind him, there's a lot less pressure on Moose to perform, and that should aid in a return to form.

Technically, Mussina is pitching behind Pavano. Unit, Pavano, Mussina are starting the first three games of the season for the Yanks, in that order.

That's really only so that Mussina will face the Red Sox in both the first series of the season and the third series, though.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers