What are the eras? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

What are the eras?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What are the eras?

Postby princethomas » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:57 pm

So we talk about the discussion of eras and who was the best of each. We compare eras back and forth etc. So my question is this. What are the eras? Are there any specific dates or are they more general then that.

I think that 1900 is a good date to begin a new era, specifically because that is about when we got the two league only system that we have played with ever since.

I think 1920 seems about right as well.

thoughts?
-T
princethomas
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 206
Joined: 27 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:32 pm

You can almost split eras at the decades and get pretty close. A more accurate dates here you go:

Basically the game before the 1900's was a very different game than the modern game. Pitchers throwing underhand, the 50 foot distance between the mound and homeplate, fouls didn't count as strikes, etc.

1900-1920 is considered the start of the Modern Era and more specifically the Deadball Era where small ball ruled the game due to the pitchers being able to use the spitter and mudball.

1920-1962 was the Golden Age of baseball or the First Lively Ball era. Scoring was at its highest point and teams began to fill up with sluggers.

1963 - 1969 The second dead ball era. The strike zone was expanded and pitchers dominated the scene.

1970 - 1990 The Expansion Era. Mound was lowered and strike zone shrunk giving more power back to the hitters. The league expanded and free agency came into power. Also the modern bullpen usage developed and the 5 man rotation came to be standard.

1991 - present The second Lively Ball Era or possibly the Steroid Era.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11071
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Tue May 17, 2005 4:47 pm

Tavish wrote:You can almost split eras at the decades and get pretty close. A more accurate dates here you go:

Basically the game before the 1900's was a very different game than the modern game. Pitchers throwing underhand, the 50 foot distance between the mound and homeplate, fouls didn't count as strikes, etc.

1900-1920 is considered the start of the Modern Era and more specifically the Deadball Era where small ball ruled the game due to the pitchers being able to use the spitter and mudball.

1920-1962 was the Golden Age of baseball or the First Lively Ball era. Scoring was at its highest point and teams began to fill up with sluggers.

1963 - 1969 The second dead ball era. The strike zone was expanded and pitchers dominated the scene.

1970 - 1990 The Expansion Era. Mound was lowered and strike zone shrunk giving more power back to the hitters. The league expanded and free agency came into power. Also the modern bullpen usage developed and the 5 man rotation came to be standard.

1991 - present The second Lively Ball Era or possibly the Steroid Era.


Tavish,

I would re-number this era as 1893-1919. Nothing happened in 1900 that was significant (rules changes). The mound was pushed back to 60'6" in 1893 and Babe Ruth had his first big year in 1920. Actually, Ruth had 29 HRs in 1919 but Fenway was huge back then. Ruth only hit 9 HRs at home but 20 on the road. given a neutral ballpark it is likely Ruth would have hit 35-45 HRs in 1919.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2838
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On third base trying to steal home.

Postby Tavish » Tue May 17, 2005 5:34 pm

LCBOY wrote:Tavish,

I would re-number this era as 1893-1919. Nothing happened in 1900 that was significant (rules changes). The mound was pushed back to 60'6" in 1893 and Babe Ruth had his first big year in 1920. Actually, Ruth had 29 HRs in 1919 but Fenway was huge back then. Ruth only hit 9 HRs at home but 20 on the road. given a neutral ballpark it is likely Ruth would have hit 35-45 HRs in 1919.


The biggest change and the reason the era is usually split at 1900 is the establishment of the true two league system and the World Series. There also was a very major rule change for the NL in 1901 (and 2 years later in the AL) with the addition of the foul strike rule. It dramatically altered the way the game was played. The 1900 mark is somewhat superficial but is usually the commonly referred to break point for the beginning of the Modern Era.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11071
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rkiivs » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:35 pm

Hmmm, no era of integration? I've heard 1947-1960 mentioned before. It changed the face of baseball and led to the demise of the Negro Leagues.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Innovative Member
Posts: 927
Joined: 9 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:41 pm

Rkiivs wrote:Hmmm, no era of integration? I've heard 1947-1960 mentioned before. It changed the face of baseball and led to the demise of the Negro Leagues.


Yes, integretation was a major part of the baseball timeline. I would probably push the timeline on that up to the mid 50s. Robinson broke the barrier in 1947 but it wasn't until around 10 years later that most other teams really followed suit.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11071
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:37 am

There are a lot of different ways to define the eras of baseball. I like Tav's list; if you want a different angle, you could also base your eras on the economics of the game, for instance, and use things like free agency as your benchmarks.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8847
Joined: 4 Jan 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cheap Seats

Postby Rkiivs » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:48 pm

I took a look around the interweb and found that Tavish's list generally follows the known eras of baseball.

Here's a good link if anyone is still interested. It has a good chronology as well as eras in baseball. Food for thought.

click me
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Innovative Member
Posts: 927
Joined: 9 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Baseball History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 11:13 hours
(and 96 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact