Closer/MR Timing Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer/MR Timing Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Closer/MR Timing Question

Postby Apex » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:25 pm

I'm in a league that counts saves and holds, and I have the bench space to carry 6 relievers (closers and MRs), which I currently have on my roster. Specifically, I have Rivera, FCordero, Foulke, JRincon, MGonzalez and Linebrink. Unfortunately, I only have 5 RP/P spots to work with.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to rotate these 6 guys in and out of the starting line-up to maximize the number of innings I can get out of them. I've already determined that all 6 of their teams play on 130 of the 180 game dates this season. What do I do on the days that all 6 pitch? I have a few ideas:

Sit the pitcher that's pitched in the most innings the previous week.

Sit the pitcher that is playing the weakest team (thinking that a save or hold situation is more unlikely).

Sit the pitcher that is playing the strongest team (thinking that a save or hold situation is more unlikely).

Pick the worst pitcher of the 6 of them and sit him every time. (In that case, which would you pick?)

Pick the worst MR of the 6 of them and sit him every time (thinking that holds are less competitive than saves in most situations).

A combination of any or all of these.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:56 pm

I would pick just pick the worst of the six and sit him. I'm not sure it's worth picking that guy right now. As the season wears on you'll know who the least productive is. Also your situation throughout the season will probably dictate who you start. If it's H2H you might decide to start all the MRs toward the end of the week because your have Saves locked up or something to that effect. In roto you might be trying to gain ground in one cat or another.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Closer/MR Timing Question

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:58 am

Apex wrote:I'm in a league that counts saves and holds, and I have the bench space to carry 6 relievers (closers and MRs), which I currently have on my roster. Specifically, I have Rivera, FCordero, Foulke, JRincon, MGonzalez and Linebrink. Unfortunately, I only have 5 RP/P spots to work with.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to rotate these 6 guys in and out of the starting line-up to maximize the number of innings I can get out of them. I've already determined that all 6 of their teams play on 130 of the 180 game dates this season. What do I do on the days that all 6 pitch? I have a few ideas:

Sit the pitcher that's pitched in the most innings the previous week.

Sit the pitcher that is playing the weakest team (thinking that a save or hold situation is more unlikely).

Sit the pitcher that is playing the strongest team (thinking that a save or hold situation is more unlikely).

Pick the worst pitcher of the 6 of them and sit him every time. (In that case, which would you pick?)

Pick the worst MR of the 6 of them and sit him every time (thinking that holds are less competitive than saves in most situations).

A combination of any or all of these.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I think those are all things you have to consider. Is this weekly or daily changes? I'm in a daily league and other considerations are who has pitched two consecutive days (unlikely for MR or CL to ptich three straight days) and where I am in the standings--do I need holds or saves more?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Apex » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:54 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I should have mentioned that this is a daily roto league. I'm thinking now that I might start out by sitting the third best MR toward the beginning of the season and build up an "insurmountable" lead in saves and then switch toward the end of the season to sitting the third best closer and win the holds department as well. Of course, I'll also use the 2 day in a row rule whenever that comes into effect. Also, always start a player on a team that's playing a double header -- usually a guarantee of some action.
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers