Comparison of CBS/ESPN/Yahoo+/Yahoo- I'm doing them all. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Comparison of CBS/ESPN/Yahoo+/Yahoo- I'm doing them all.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Comparison of CBS/ESPN/Yahoo+/Yahoo- I'm doing them all.

Postby asumikey222 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:53 pm

These are my thoughts in order of how much I like each:

CBS- Best interface, very customizable. Takes a little while to get used to but it's the best overall. Comp. is OK, I was in a 5X5 roto draft and people make some weird freaking picks I'll tell you that. Bench is skinny as hell and rosters are weekly, so it's very different from the others but prolly my fav right now.

Yahoo+- Good comp. Their Research and Analysis is kinda screwed up sometimes in that e.g. you have to refresh Add/Drop to see it properly and even then I dunno I hope they fix it b/c I like that you can see the exact number of people that have added/dropped a guy and sort by all leagues and just + leagues. I would say it's not super-active but most of the people are smart and it's definitely a big step up from the free leagues. Plus last year I know they have you stattracker for all your leagues including free plus the research when you got a plus team which is a nice bonus if you have lots of free teams which most people do.

Yahoo- What can you say it doesn't get more basic than this. If you are truly taking a serious approach this just plain sucks. However, I've come around to just treating it as a fun time. The WW is almost never touched to the point where you can pick up a newly-named closer days after the news comes out and the drafters are so bad you can build monstrous teams (I was actually on the leaderboard last year w/ one of my roto teams). The downside is by the end of the season 3-5/12 people are still competing usually. As long as this isn't your primary league and you don't take it seriously it can be fun though.

ESPN- The interface sucks, plain and simple. My friend has always done ESPN and Yahoo so he convinced me to try it. Now that he has done CBS he admits he's a moron. People offer ridiculous trades, but they are pretty active on the WW (usu. VERY active) if this is how you define competition/activity. The message boards are dead since they're not even on the front page of the league and neither are the transactions (these are so badly implemented it's not even funny). In addition to the ridiculous trades the league office almost never vetoes them if they are accepted. I'm not one to say any unbalanced trade should be overturned, but it can get pretty bad here.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strasil42 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:17 pm

cbs costs money doesnt it?
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby asumikey222 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:27 pm

Strasil42 wrote:cbs costs money doesnt it?

CBS is 30 bucks but you can win 150 in a 10-man league (all 150 goes to first place) so from an expected value perspective it's really only 15 if you think you think everyone has an equal chance of winning.

ESPN is also 30 bucks and the prize is a crappy t-shirt.

Yahoo+ is 25 and you win a plaque.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:11 am

I've used CBS for 4 years now and loved it- have 2 leagues in it. I have tried Yahoo in the past- Hated it. I am doing 1 league in ESPN this year and I gotta say im not impressed at all. Won't be using it again. CBS has some areas I wish they would improve but overall I agree it is the best.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:14 am

Also I did try EAsports.com for their fantasy football this year to. It wasnt bad at all. Their prize is only a metal bobble head trophy though. I've emailed them asking if they were gonna start fantasy baseball up but I never got a response.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tiki Barber's Barber » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:16 am

tsn.com (the sporting news) has been my favorite that i've tried, best payout and nice info on the players.
Tiki Barber's Barber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby asumikey222 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:23 am

It's incredible, ESPN has the most ghetto, ugly interface of all. Considering they, more than CBS and Yahoo! are in the business of presenting sports as entertainment (after all, they popularized the highlight reel), I don't see how their interface can be so ugly. Also, imo, not having messages or recent transactions on the first page (transactions are actually TWO clicks away) is just an unforgivable sin and it kills any sense of league activity or cohesiveness.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby xeifrank » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:51 am

I have only played Yahoo (free version), but the key word is free. I think if you join a league with good owners that you know on a personal basis or know from past experience online that there is no problem with playing in a free yahoo league, and I can't imagine how it could be beat for what you pay. Yahoo doesn't force your roto league into setting weekly rosters, that would suck, and why would you ever want to play in a league like that, let alone pay for it??

Question to the original poster: How many years have you played in each? Sounds like the one you rank #1, this is your first year doing it, so some of the things you rag on Yahoo for, might be worse or just as bad (ie - dead owners).

Either way, I am a Yahoo die-hard until someone moves my cheese :)

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby asumikey222 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:05 am

xeifrank wrote:I have only played Yahoo (free version), but the key word is free. I think if you join a league with good owners that you know on a personal basis or know from past experience online that there is no problem with playing in a free yahoo league, and I can't imagine how it could be beat for what you pay. Yahoo doesn't force your roto league into setting weekly rosters, that would suck, and why would you ever want to play in a league like that, let alone pay for it??

Question to the original poster: How many years have you played in each? Sounds like the one you rank #1, this is your first year doing it, so some of the things you rag on Yahoo for, might be worse or just as bad (ie - dead owners).

vr

Xeifrank

I enjoy Yahoo; I ranked it only behind Yahoo+ (for obvious reasons) and CBS which right now I am really enjoying and which if you look at other posts on the issue most people like the best. I should note I'm referring to strictly public leagues in my original post, I always do 2-3 free Yahoo private leagues each year with friends but private leagues are an entirely different beast and since I have only done them on Yahoo I have no basis for comparison with the others, though I have heard that CBS is the best for private leagues too because they allow an amazing amount of customizability. Plus, I think it's a mischaracterization to say CBS "forces" you to do weekly lineups, this is just the way the game works and you know about it before going in so if you find it a problem, then you don't do it; that's like saying Yahoo "forces" you to do daily rosters, it's just a different game altogether and a different approach, not that one approach is objectively better than the other.

As far as my experience, I've been doing Yahoo, Yahoo Winner's, and Yahoo+ for years now. The added value of + is pretty minimal, a little research and articles, Stattracker for all leagues, and better competition. ESPN OTOH I feel like they present their research and analysis as a big selling point. CBS has all that and a great interface and really nice league page, extras etc. In regards to public leagues, I think this notion of fantasy baseball has to be free and pay leagues are stupid stems partly from the fact that 95% of people who play it play for the draft (if that) and then maybe a couple times a week tops in the first month, then nothing afterwards. So you are looking at a few hours of entertainment here at best and that's probably not worth the 20-30 bucks, for someone like me however fantasy is hours of fun a week, and I'll probably spend God knows how many hours in each league throughout the year up until the last day. So when you think that people pay 8 bucks for a 1.5 hour movie, for example, I'm paying 20-some bucks for tons more entertainment to me and the added features are worth it (and hey so is the cash prize).

That being said, I like Yahoo and I'm sure I'll do 2 Yahoo leagues every year no matter what. Really my initial post is only a knock on ESPN, praise for CBS, and a knock on the comp. in Yahoo's public leagues, all points which I don't think are that disputable.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby reiser » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:14 am

xeifrank wrote: Question to the original poster: How many years have you played in each? Sounds like the one you rank #1, this is your first year doing it, so some of the things you rag on Yahoo for, might be worse or just as bad (ie - dead owners).

vr

Xeifrank

i can see you point-in terms of free (for now-how many other items on the 'net have you seen become "premium?) Yahoo has just about everything you could want.

but this is my 3rd year doing CBS, and it really is head and shoulders above Yahoo. of course, with your fee on CBS you get live stats, something you have to pay for on Yahoo. Stats and news are also a nod more complete on CBS as well.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers