Jaret Wright getting skipped first week. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jaret Wright getting skipped first week.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jaret Wright getting skipped first week.

Postby asumikey222 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:24 pm

News: Jaret Wright will be skipped the first time the New York Yankees go through their starting pitching rotation this season. The decision was made because the Yankees have three off days during the opening 10 days of the regular season.

Analysis: Wright will make his first start at Baltimore on April 15. "It's not easy when you have five quality people like we have," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "We just decided to line them up that way. Maybe we felt Jaret can handle that physically. And he was fine with it."

I've drafted him a couple of times recently since I don't think he's going to be Vazquez II (and I think assuming any decent pitcher who goes into NY won't be successful is a little fatalistic) and he's been going very cheap; we'll see what happens though. Mussina got dropped to third in the rotation too.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:43 pm

I think Wright is a decent late-round pick, he should get wins if nothing else. I'm curious to see what happens with him, though, I lost a little faith in Stottlemyre after the Vazquez fiasco. :-o

And if I had Unit, Moose and Pavano, I'd be skipping Wright every chance I got....
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby asumikey222 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:55 pm

WharfRat wrote:I think Wright is a decent late-round pick, he should get wins if nothing else. I'm curious to see what happens with him, though, I lost a little faith in Stottlemyre after the Vazquez fiasco. :-o

And if I had Unit, Moose and Pavano, I'd be skipping Wright every chance I got....

Hahaha yeah seriously. Wright will also be handy once someone gets injured. Basically right now he is being valued as Vazquez II, which is a worst-case scenario, and imo when someone is being valued as a worst-case scenario (see:Bonds) they can be a great value, ESPECIALLY if they are not injured.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:48 pm

I'm not sure I'd label Wright Vazquez II. Vazquez was brought to NY in the hopes that he would eventually be their ace. I'm not particularly high on Wright from a fantasy perspective but for the Yankees he's a good #5. If Wright bombs I don't think it will have the impact on the Yankees that Vazquez's nose-dive did. Any production that he gives them beyond what you'd expect from a #5 is just gravy.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Viper8437 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:52 pm

yea
but you basically have to take into account that at some point, not necessarily late in the year, that brown will also breakdown and have some injury or throw another temper tantrum. So if Wright isnt pitching well, which im not expecting him to, who will be their 4-5?
reyes is my homeboy
Viper8437
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby agchris02 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:36 pm

Ive never heard any discussions about wright being a vazquez, like it was just said, vazquez was expected to be near RJ quality in NY, bring his 200+ k's and low era to NY and watch the wins pile up. Didnt quite happen. Wright has never put those numbers up, NY is expecting him to replicate what he did last year, which, if he does, Ill be happy with. He may get one or two more wins, but other than that just get what he did last year. As such, he's still a decent value on any team. (Though Id still draft vazquez this yr way above3 him)
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby asumikey222 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:43 pm

agchris02 wrote:Ive never heard any discussions about wright being a vazquez

Really? I guess you must have missed one of the literally hundreds of posts here and elsewhere that go like this-

"The 1st reply to your post was correct, Wright will crack like a china doll in New York, but he could have a good 1st half (aka, Javier Vazquez)."

I think what people, myself included, are talking about is from a psychological standpoint, not from the point of them being the same pitcher. Of course, i disagree with that view but seemingly 99% of people subscribe to it.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:18 am

Hmmm 7M a year a great SPring and yet they start the 41 year old, loser with a back problem and a single digit IQ excuse maker over him? Apparently Brown must be this year's Felix Heredia for Torre.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers