Gabe Gross - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gabe Gross

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gabe Gross

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:21 pm

So when do we start taking this guy seriously?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gabe Gross

Postby donny23 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:28 pm

When he gets some real major league playing time and keeps doing this.
Yoda wrote:So when do we start taking this guy seriously?
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:33 pm

Yeah, when he does it in games that matter. For right now the power he is showing looks like just a fluke, he has never hit over 12 HR's in the minors and really just has average power.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:42 pm

hybrid wrote:Yeah, when he does it in games that matter. For right now the power he is showing looks like just a fluke, he has never hit over 12 HR's in the minors and really just has average power.

well, the main thing to look at in young players is not just look at HR but 2B. He's hit plenty of them, a strong indication that he can grow into more power.

If you look at his minor league stats, it seems like he struggles a bit at first at the new level for a year or so then makes adjustments to turn into a pretty good hitter.

He was a first rounder so it's not like he is a waste of roster space like Alex Sanchez and/or Juan Gonzalez. Worth a flyer at this point don't y'all think?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:50 pm

While looking at doubles does help with future power numbers, it's not really the same case with him. He isn't relatively young or still developing into his body. He went to college and the doubles have never managed to turn into HR's. I've seen him play and he is mainly a gap hitter with some nice power, he'd have to do this when it matters and for the whole year before I'd think he has very good power all of a sudden.

To me even if he plays it's only part time, so why take him on your team unless your in a deep league. Oh and Juan Gone isn't a waste till he gets hurt :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:12 pm

hybrid wrote:While looking at doubles does help with future power numbers, it's not really the same case with him. He isn't relatively young or still developing into his body. He went to college and the doubles have never managed to turn into HR's. I've seen him play and he is mainly a gap hitter with some nice power, he'd have to do this when it matters and for the whole year before I'd think he has very good power all of a sudden.

To me even if he plays it's only part time, so why take him on your team unless your in a deep league. Oh and Juan Gone isn't a waste till he gets hurt :-b

I disagree. He is only 25 and in his pre-peak stage. ST doesn't mean anything unless you are Gabe Gross, fighting for a job. Most likely he will continue to fight for his job after ST so there is hope.

Not saying you should pick him up to be your 2nd OF but he certainly is worth a flyer especially if you have a bench spot. Worst case scenario, he doesn't perform and you dump him.

BTW, Juan Gone is already hurt. He's played a total of 185 games in the last 3 seasons. He IS a waste of a bench spot.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:20 pm

Yep, he is 25 and only shown at best decent power in the high minors. Usually when your at that age and your going to hit for power you show more.

BTW the Juan Gone thing was a joke, I thought the emoticon gave it away ;-)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:51 pm

I don't think he's even worth a flyer. He's had a great ST, but even if he makes the team (and he's doing all he can to force JP and Tosca to keep him) he isn't going to get regular at bats. He'd end up in a platoon in left with Catalanotto and Reed Johnson and might be able to spell Rios in right a little. Even if you factor DH into the mix (where Catalanotto might get some at bats), you've got 3 positions (LF, RF, DH) for 5 players (Rios, Little Cat, Johnson, Hillebrand (or Hinske, whoever isn't playing 1B) and Gross).

I think from the Jays perspective it makes more sense to let him get at bats at AAA. Alternatively, name him the starting LF and hope the ST streak continues, then once he cools down send him down. That said, until he's named the starter I wouldn't take him -- too many other OFs out there.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:38 pm

Even as I wrote this, Gross was hitting another ST HR -- 3 run shot (his 8th) against Pit - gives him 18 RBIs in 20 games.

Maybe he will end up as the starting LF?!
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:45 pm

(and he's doing all he can to force JP and Tosca to keep him)

It's John Gibbons now..Tosca got fired.. ;-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Baseball Leftovers