Much Ado About Bonds (advice) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Much Ado About Bonds (advice)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Much Ado About Bonds (advice)

Postby WharfRat » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:55 pm

So this Bonds mess has me trying to figure out my OF situation. Bonds was the only stud OF I had, and now that he's (apparently) out for some time, I need a replacement. The way I see it, I have two options: get a stopgapper on the wire, or trade. I have a pretty decent team, and I have some potentially nice starting pitching. What would you do with this:

P. Lo Duca (Fla - C,OF)
1B M. Teixeira (Tex - 1B)
2B M. Giles (Atl - 2B)
3B A. Ramírez (ChC - 3B)
SS K. Greene (SD - SS)
OF B. Bonds (SF - OF) :-o
OF S. Podsednik (CWS - OF)
OF J. Bay (Pit - OF)
Util T. Hafner (Cle - 1B)
BNR. Sanders (StL - OF)
BN C. Wilson (Pit - 1B,OF)

SP R. Clemens (Hou - SP)
SP J. Peavy (SD - SP)
RP B. Ryan (Bal - RP)
RP M. Adams (Mil - RP)
P Ol. Pérez (Pit - SP)
P A. Burnett (Fla - SP)
P J. Bonderman (Det - SP)
BN M. Morris (StL - SP)
BN J. Piñeiro (Sea - SP)
BN W. Williams (SD - SP)

I'm definitely of the opinion that Bonds will be back sooner rather than later, and that the tirade was just steam. With that in mind, I'm leaning towards picking up an OF on the wire (Dye, Jenkins, Rocco, Millar, Bernie are all available) and rotating OFs based on who's hot/matchups until Bonds get back. I'm not big on the idea of trading an SP yet, since I don't think the value I'd get would be worth it at this point, unless there's something I'm missing. If one of my SPs gets off to an unreasonably hot start, of course, I could always try to pull a trade for a better OF down the road, if it looks like Bonds will be out longer. Any thoughts?
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:00 pm

go ahead and pick up jenkins. he'll be fine until bonds comes back.

but in general your staff is STACKED. if this is a 12 team league, you've definitely got enough depth there to trade away a starter and maybe hafner for another stud OF which, IMO, would make your team very strong even if bonds doesn't come back for a while.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby yort33 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:09 pm

just plug reggie sanders in for bonds. he usually starts the first 2 months on fire and he can help you out until bonds comes back . i drafted bonds the other day and got him rd 11 so i'm with you hoping he's back in later april but who knows. have you heard anything more about him? if he comes back i really think he will have a unbelivable year with alou behind him and vizquel and durham ahead of him
yort33
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:11 pm

Pick up Jenkins and start him in Bonds' spot. Jenkins is a lot better than Wilson and Sanders. The only question with him is health and if he's not healthy for the first moth of the season he never will be.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:19 pm

Thanks for the advice fellas. Jenkins it is. My rotation will gain more value during the season if they start performing, anyway. Yort - I know about as much as you, but I'm definitely optimistic. I read he's already off the crutches, so we'll see, he's in great shape, juice or no juice. And I agree about the protection he's got this year, it'll be solid if/when all three are healthy.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby djack909 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:35 am

I don't think Bonds will be back at least until June 15th. I had him on one team and felt he was not worth taken up my DL slot for 10 weeks. I dumped him and picked up Pat Burrel on waivers.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:37 am

djack909 wrote:I don't think Bonds will be back at least until June 15th. I had him on one team and felt he was not worth taken up my DL slot for 10 weeks. I dumped him and picked up Pat Burrel on waivers.

Dude I hope your joking. :-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:44 am

djack909 wrote:I don't think Bonds will be back at least until June 15th. I had him on one team and felt he was not worth taken up my DL slot for 10 weeks. I dumped him and picked up Pat Burrel on waivers.

June 15th is definitely a fair estimate of when he will be back, but dropping him was not a good move.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby go_jays_go » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:00 am

You made a big mistake by dropping him :-o He will be a king when he returns, and when hes killing the ball you'll be watchin Burell getting k'd up :-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:14 am

I fail to see why anyone would drop a first round pick to free up a DL slot, but to each his own. As to when Bonds will be back, you have to assume that since the sale of flaxseed oil in the bay area has not suddenly taken a dive, that Bonds will be back by the break.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers