Mets new team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mets new team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mets new team

Postby kashikis » Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:14 pm

Being a Mets fan i was highly disappointed with the team last year. They made me ill just watching them play as underachievers. And they have been one of the most active teams trade-wise this offseason.

This year they have made many new moves and i was wondering how much if any you think they may improve.

With the addition of Glavine and Stanton to their pitching helps them lock up the middle innings and get another starter that's used to the teams that they play.

Also with the movement of Fonzy and Ordonez what will happen to their infield? Will Jose Reyes be able to fill the gap defensively that Ordonez leaves? He is potentially a much better offensive player but will it be enough? And who will fill the gap at 3rd? Do you think that they will have a chance at signing one of the Matsui's or how about Nakamura?

Just lookin for POV since none of my buddies really delve into baseball like I do. Hopefully i get some good responses, and thanks in advance.
kashikis

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tlef316 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:54 pm

i am a yanks fan, but i really like reyes. he is very, very good, but is also very, very young. from what i heard, the mets are being very carefull and are bringing him along slowly. he is starting at norfolk this year and should be in the majors by july. i think wiggington is going to play 3rd, but i think they are looking for a long term solution there.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grenade Teeth » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:39 pm

The Mets were already a good pitching team before Glavine and Stanton, their problem will probably still be scoring runs. They haven't done anything (and I'm not sure they can) to address the OF problem. Shea is not a good hitters park and it may play with the confidence of all the new (and 2nd year Mets) hitters. Alomar, Vaughn, Burnitz and Cedeno need to get off to good starts.
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:00 pm

From what I've heard, there's still a trade or two left out there...I heard about Burnitz possibly leaving and heading to Texas, which isn't all that bad...But in the same news, I saw Astacio leaving town as well...I don't mind the Mets, I'm an Indian fan myself, but I enjoyed watching Alomar, Vaughn, and Piazza play. I even drafted some of the Mets pitchers to help my team...I think the overhaul will be good for them. Hampton and Glavine are both great additions, and I think some of the 2nd yr Mets (Robbie, Mo) will step up a lil this year and start hitting like we know they can. I think getting rid of Burnitz is a good idea, and Reyes, while young, will be a powerful asset to have at this point. I can see him playing in the majors around July or so...but they should keep a steady eye on him. I also heard Cedeno may be on the block...I just hope there is enough backup to cover losses like his and Astacio...(Glavine/Hampton excluded)
beep....beep
slowkidz
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:32 pm

I like what the Mets have been doing so far. Adding Glavine and Stanton helps, and shipping Ordonez to Tampa Bay also seems like a good move, even if they playit slow with Reyes (who I also like a lot). Re-signing Joe McEwing also won't hurt. Losing Alfonzo was probably inevitable, and if they can sign Nakamura, they might even improve at the hot corner.

Let's see what happens with Burnitz and Cedeno...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

sometimes things are best if you just tamper - not change!

Postby paulG » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:46 pm

The rumored trade of Burnitz for Neagle would do wonders for both teams- this would give the Mets piotentially a superb pitching staff with Glavine, Leiter,, Astacio, etc. ... and Shea is really a pitching park.....Don't forget Burnitz had lots of long fly balls and in the thin air anything is possible.... I would definitely bid on him 20+ if he was in Colorodo. Would I be short sighted and trade Reyes to the Expos for a package of Vazquez (not Colon) and Vidro/Gurrero or something like that - which rumor has - the answer is YES, because we're playing for now.......There offense does not stink! It just had a slump of all players - the moves that Phillips did last year were great moves bringing on a lifetime .300 hitter in Alomar, a base stealer in Cedeno, a power potential in Vaighn - they just need to be patient and let it gel! so....let's go Mets.
paulG

Friendliness: %

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:17 pm

Met's Offense does stink. You can't tell me the whole team had a slump all year. Alomar will rebound and Piazza is still a great hitter(even if his avg dropped 30 pts last year) but that is it. Cedeno is awful. You can't steal first. Mo Vaughn hasn't had a good season since he was with the Red Sox. Burnitz is a whiff machine. Plus most of these guys are getting up there in age. The whole team K's too much and doesn't get on base enough. It is like an upscale Brewer's lineup.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:49 pm

I'm a Mets season ticket holder, and they were not a good pitching team, the team as a whole sucked. So now we come to 2003, and I'm happy, Stanton, Glavine, Floyd. I would say the only team that did better this offseason so far is the Phillies. Now we would need to start to address the left side of the field. If Reyes hits good in spring training bring him up and leave him up, he can only get better playing in the majors, and having Piazza and Floyd helping, doesn't hurt. I would cringe if Winggy played 3rd, its enough that we might have to start cedeno. So I say get Aaron Boone. Any thoughts?

Friendliness: %

Postby Grenade Teeth » Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:30 pm

I'm not sure the Mets have done better this offseason that everyone but the Phillies. They are definitely up there in the biggest splash category. They have made noise and people are thinking they improved their team. I'm not sold, they will still have trouble scoring runs, especially in the NL East were each team has 3-4 very good pitchers.

Also, A team cannot slump the entire year, that is like saying that Neifi Perez slumped when he was traded to the Royals.
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers