Higginson trade rumor - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Higginson trade rumor

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Higginson trade rumor

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:36 pm

According to the Miami Herald the Marlins are very interested in gettin Higgy wit it. Talks involve the possible return of a five-tool player Juan Encarnacion. Though I wouldn't want to get Encarnacion, would rather give Monroe the opportunity, we need to dump Higgy. Here's a link:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/11254698.htm

And a quote:
A Detroit Tigers official confirmed Monday that the team is discussing a trade that would send outfielder Bobby Higginson to the Marlins but said money issues could derail the deal.
During the weekend, the official was about ''90 percent'' certain the trade would happen but said the talks hit a snag when the two sides couldn't agree on how to divide Higginson's $8.85 million contract. As a 10-year major-league veteran who has played the most recent five years with the same team, Higginson can block any deal, but his agent said he is likely to accept a trade to the Marlins.

Since yesterday his agent has had a change of tune and says that Booby won't go to Miami. Sounds like he is angling for a buyout. One more reason to hate Higgy. He spouts off in the paper about wanting to play for a team with a chance to win, then when a trade is brought up says he won't go.

If they can't because Higgy won't go I would like to see them keep him and have him come in as a ninth inning defensive replacement only. Never pick up a bat. It would be better than just dumping him, and he has done nothing since roiding up(speculation)for his fat contract.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cmchampa2 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:37 pm

I know Encarnacion wasn't a fan favorite in Detroit, but he's more than the Tigers should expect for Higgy at this point. Higgy doesn't hit like he used to, he's a defensive replacement CORNER outfielder (like anybody needs one of those taking up a roster spot), and he probably shouldn't make the Tiger's roster ahead of either Logan or Thames. Detroit probably doesn't need another OF, but they really don't need much of anything (that using Higgy as trade bait could land them, anyway).

Getting Encarnacion and eating Higgy's contract is better than just eating Higgy's contract.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:12 am

I don't know where Juan's name is coming up, but we don't need him. He's the king of bad plate discipline and would be a burden just like Higginson. If we hold onto Higginson or acquire Encarnacion, it's just a plain waste of a roster spot. It sucks to eat up Higginson's contract, but I think at this point, the benefit of using that roster spot for someone who might actually be useful is better than playing around with a guy who will just sit the bench and pout. We want to make a run at a winnable division here.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Higginson trade rumor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:46 pm

moochman wrote:If they can't because Higgy won't go I would like to see them keep him and have him come in as a ninth inning defensive replacement only. Never pick up a bat. It would be better than just dumping him, and he has done nothing since roiding up(speculation)for his fat contract.

Thats a great idea - he deserves nothing less.

By dropping him he wins at this point - not only do the Tigers owe him damn near $9mil, but now he can start a new contract if someone signs him off waivers. If Im wrong on those assumptions let me know. Otherwise, I agree with Mooch - make sure he doesnt pick up a bat all yr for any team - that'd be sweet justice.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:48 pm

I don't know about the financial aspects or anything like that, but realistically speaking it would be tough to keep him from picking up a bat if we kept him. We would be playing one roster spot short and chances are at some point, we would need him.

I think it is best for all to wash ourselves of Higginson and let some other team find out how horrible he is. Why shoot ourselves in the foot just so Higginson doesn't "win". We have more important things to do, like try to win the division. If cutting Higginson is the best move in that direction do it. It looks like they will be stuck with that contract regardless of the outcome, so who cares if he gets the lowest salary possible to go somewhere else where he won't even play anyways?

Damn, it's too bad things turned out this way. He was always one of my favorite players, but his skills deriorated at an astonishing rate. The Tigers now have a solid team and what's best for the team is of high priority.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers