Meet the Mets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Meet the Mets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby donny23 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:47 pm

Why will you get yelled at? I think everyone would agree that the bullpen is the Met's biggest issue going into the season. Their starting 5 isn't top of the line, but it isn't terrible either. Their bullpen is terrible.

Good point by the way about Leiter. He was always a bulldog for the Mets. Most Mets fans also appreciate Trachsel's value. Every friend I have who is a Mets fan loves what Trachsel brings to them. Ishii and Zambrano will not bring that same bulldog mentality.

Cooner wrote:i may get yelled at over this, but I think the biggest issue the Mets will have isn't starting pitching but middle relief. Middle relief has always been an issue with the Mets, and the loss of Leiter to some extent and not starting Trachsel will hurt. Not that either of these guys are great pitchers, but they both regularly soaked up 200 innings, every year. You might not win a game with Trachsel on the mound, but he's still not coming out until the 7th or 8th inning. Having that break more often then not allowed a rather mediocre bullpen to not look too bad or blow too many leads. With the change to Ishii and Zambrano, I see their middle relief getting a lot more innings this year, exposing a pretty nasty weakness.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:53 pm

Cooner wrote:i may get yelled at over this, but I think the biggest issue the Mets will have isn't starting pitching but middle relief. Middle relief has always been an issue with the Mets, and the loss of Leiter to some extent and not starting Trachsel will hurt. Not that either of these guys are great pitchers, but they both regularly soaked up 200 innings, every year. You might not win a game with Trachsel on the mound, but he's still not coming out until the 7th or 8th inning. Having that break more often then not allowed a rather mediocre bullpen to not look too bad or blow too many leads. With the change to Ishii and Zambrano, I see their middle relief getting a lot more innings this year, exposing a pretty nasty weakness.

Downgrading Trax to Ishii definitely hurts. Trax was better than you make out too. He was one of the Mets most consistent pitchers. Leiter was an incredible strain on the bullpen last year so in that regard losing him was a good thing.

The Mets bullpen is definitely going to need to step up in order for the Mets to be successful. I also think Heath Bell and Scott Strickland are going to be nice surprises this year. Also, Mr. Koo is starting to look promising.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby donny23 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:37 pm

Well, we actually agree on most things for once. I agree that Trachsel is even better than he gave him credit for. I also agree that while Leiter helped the Mets bullpen most of his years there, it was not the case last year.

I also think Bell will be a very pleasant surprise. Strickland could surprise also. Let's not forget he was actually a closer a few years ago. We'll see how he comes back though. I like Koo. They need one big-time setup guy. None of these guys will be "that" guy. Bell would be the closest, but that's putting a lot of faith in a young guy who has never been the primary setup man before. Like I said, they really need Urbina. That would really help their chances. About that sig bet...?

Amazinz wrote:

Downgrading Trax to Ishii definitely hurts. Trax was better than you make out too. He was one of the Mets most consistent pitchers. Leiter was an incredible strain on the bullpen last year so in that regard losing him was a good thing.

The Mets bullpen is definitely going to need to step up in order for the Mets to be successful. I also think Heath Bell and Scott Strickland are going to be nice surprises this year. Also, Mr. Koo is starting to look promising.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:45 pm

Great Thread. ;-D

"Meet the Mets"

Meet the Mets, Meet the Mets,

Step right up and greet the Mets,

Bring your kiddies, bring your wife,

Guaranteed to have the time of your life

Because the Mets are really socking the ball

Knocking those homers over the wall.

Or how about ..

For the last time, I ....
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . am NOT GAY!

who can forget this "WHOPPER" of a signing.
(Extra cheese please)

What I love about Mets fans the most, they truly are knowledgeable, die hard baseball fans. Its True. It not like some of the fair weather Yankee or Sox Fans. Its rare that you meet a Met fan, that doesn't know what they are talking about.
Unless of course they are talking about the Mets chances of winning a pennant. :-°
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:45 pm

Why even bother talking about the Mets when they are going to be non-factors in the NL East? I could care less about their big offseason acquisitions to be honest, or has everyone forgot that this is a team that finished 20 games out last year? You want to talk about question marks Amazinz well there is no one who has more then the Mets. Reyes, Piazza, and Floyd are all major health concerns, their 3-5 in the rotation are all nothing but mediocre underachievers, and their BP is easily one of the worst in the game. The Phillies and Braves are being vastly underrated and the Marlins are being seriously overrated based on their Delgado acquisition without looking at their significant losses. Here is how the NL East is going to end up this year, and I would almost guarantee it.

Braves
Phillies
Marlins
Mets
Nationals
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:46 pm

Yeah Heath Bell is somebody I don't hear anything about but he looks awefully good. I had him last year in a deep league that counts holds. Nothing special fantasy wise but he looks to be one of their top relievers. Probably their best one after Looper. The rotation is shaky though. Glavine doesn't have it anymore and is a good #3 but not much more (meaning 3rd best pitcher, I don't know how they're setting the rotation). Pedro is a great guy to have as an ace, and Benson is a decent #2. But after that, Zam and Ishii don't bring much to the table. Having three capable pitchers like taht is OK for the playoffs but they have to get there first. At this point, I like the Braves' chances better.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:55 pm

donny23 wrote:About that sig bet...?

Can't do it. My sig space is already spoken for in another bet.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:58 pm

Wrveres, don't you have work to do on your Barry scrapbook? :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby donny23 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:01 pm

Fair enough. I'm sure we'll both remember.

Amazinz wrote:
donny23 wrote:About that sig bet...?

Can't do it. My sig space is already spoken for in another bet.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:06 pm

I'll take great pleasure in reminding you if you forget. ;-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers