Wright batting 8th - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wright batting 8th

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:25 pm

I think Wright will be batting 6th before June. Maybe Willie's thinking is that he'd rather set a goal for Wright; meaning it's easier to move him up in the order than down. Either way I think Wright will force his hand fairly quickly unless the entire Mets line-up really overachieves.

I think there's some merit to batting Beltran higher in the order than 3 but it's not going to happen.

I'd be surprised (barring injury) if this isn't the line-up by June:

Reyes
Matsui
Beltran
Piazza
Floyd
Wright
Cameron
Alphabet
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:37 pm

I'm sorry, but I just have to comment on an earlier post. The best young hitter in baseball? He's not even the best young hitter at his position, let alone in baseball. Allow me to introduce you to Hank Blalock, Miguel Cabrerra, Adrian Beltre, Mark Teixeria, just for a few. He is not a leadoff guy, and you're not paying Beltran all that money to be a leadoff hitter. He is your three hole. He ain't a two guy, and as long as Piazza is on the team, he is not cleanup. I'd hit him seven, but with the carrying on here and the over reacting to how good Wright actually is is a little over the top, don't ya think?
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brandnew » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:49 pm

CBV wrote:this isnt good news for me. i have 4 mets in my starting lineup 8-o the funny thing is i didnt really notice it until after the draft and trades i made. i have piazza catching, kaz at second, reyes at short and wright at 3rd. almost my whole infield are mets lol. i also have 3 rangers too, tex, hidalgo and mench...if these two teams have an offday on the same day, i will only have like 3 ppl to play :-o

There's your first mistake ;-)
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby djack909 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:35 pm

I said Wright was the best "contact" hitter on the Mets. Not the best young hitter in baseball. 40 Ks in 263 ABs '04
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RyanK » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:57 pm

bd3521 wrote:1. Jose Reyes SS
2. Kazuo Matsui 2B
3. Carlos Beltran CF
4. Mike Piazza C
5. Cliff Floyd LF
6. Mike Cameron RF
7. David Wright 3B
8. Doug Mientkiewicz 1B

is it me or does that seem like a pretty solid lineup?? I may have to bring out my mets hat...
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Brendo » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:05 pm

where did people THINK he would hit??

probably a switch from 7th to 8th in most (rational) books

hard to see that being the difference between a good year and a bad one.

And for the record, I'd rather have Wright hit 2nd

Sees fastballs if Reyes gets on base. Can situational hit to all fields and has pop.

But it'll never happen
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Honus » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:10 pm

Well, once Reyes, Floyd and Piazza (and maybe Matsui) get hurt in the late April/early May timeframe, Wright will probably find himself moving up in the batting order. I'm with Brendo, though, and think he should be batting second.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby quicksilver8 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:47 pm

I'm not a big Cliff Floyd fan, so I'd love to see Wright hitting in Floyd's spot. Like everyone else has already noted, it probably won't be long before half the Mets are on their annual DL vacation, so Wright should be 'movin on up' (like the JEffersons!)
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers