Wright batting 8th - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wright batting 8th

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wright batting 8th

Postby Dude86 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:12 am

On the Mets website theres a story that Randolph is gonna have David Wright batting 8th in the Mets lineup. I think this is a huge mistake and also hurts his fantasy value.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wright batting 8th

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:14 am

Wow, I had heard he was doing it for preseason, but can't believe he's seriously doing it during the season.

Even if it's true, I don't expect that to last longer than a couple of weeks.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Paco625 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:16 am

As a Met fan, i'm disappointed by this news and have read a bunch of articles about it. It looks like Willie doesn't want to put too much pressure on him. I think as we approach the middle of the year, he will bat higher in the linup. I don't know if it will happen this year, but I would LOVE to see a lineup of Reyes, Beltran, Wright, Piazza, etc..,
Paco625
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bob123 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:22 am

as a met fan and someone who drafted wright this year, this gives me diarrhea. one of the stupidest things i've seen in a while. i don't see how this can last very long, but if it does, i'm gonna be real pissed.

from a new york newspaper: "The free-swinging Cameron wants no part of hitting in front of the pitcher, where he would be tempted by pitches out of the strike zone, and the only other choice is Doug Mientkiewicz, who hit seventh yesterday."

i like the way a guy on a mets message board phrased it: "This Cameron guy complains more than my wife."
bob123
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CBV » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:35 am

this isnt good news for me. i have 4 mets in my starting lineup 8-o the funny thing is i didnt really notice it until after the draft and trades i made. i have piazza catching, kaz at second, reyes at short and wright at 3rd. almost my whole infield are mets lol. i also have 3 rangers too, tex, hidalgo and mench...if these two teams have an offday on the same day, i will only have like 3 ppl to play :-o
Vaughn: What's that sh*t on your chest?

Harris: Crisco, Bardol, Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball.

Crisco Bardol Vagisil
CBV
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Home of 2005 World Series Champs! Beverly-South Side Chicago * GO SOX *

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:37 am

bob123 wrote:as a met fan and someone who drafted wright this year, this gives me diarrhea. one of the stupidest things i've seen in a while. i don't see how this can last very long, but if it does, i'm gonna be real pissed.

from a new york newspaper: "The free-swinging Cameron wants no part of hitting in front of the pitcher, where he would be tempted by pitches out of the strike zone, and the only other choice is Doug Mientkiewicz, who hit seventh yesterday."

i like the way a guy on a mets message board phrased it: "This Cameron guy complains more than my wife."

Wow, I can understand why they wouldn't want Cameron batting in front of the pitcher...that actually makes sense....but why not put Doug M. there? That is what makes no sense to me.

The Mets never cease to baffle me. Just when I start to admire their lineup this year, and even drafted Beltran and Piazza on the same team, they pull a stunt like this. Like I said earlier though, I really don't expect this little experiment to last long.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bob123 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:44 am

yes, doug m should be batting eighth. there is no question about this in my opinion; i don't see how it's an issue at all. cameron doesn't want to bat eighth? fine. the job of your eight hitter is to clear the pitcher anyway. your eight hitter has to get on base. sure, wright has a nice eye. but batting him eighth will kill his production! wright can rake. if he hits eighth, he will get nothing to hit! this is not good for him. common sense! doug m is a veteran with whose ceiling we have no questions about. he can post a nice on-base percentage, but that's about it. he should DEFINITELY be batting eighth!

from the same newspaper i mentioned earlier: "When Wright was batting sixth or higher last season, his average was .317 (66-for-208) with 12 home runs and 36 RBIs. In the seventh and eighth spots, however, he hit .200 (11-for-55) with two homers and four RBIs." <--nauseating

i'd like to quote a post from a mets message board:
This is obvious. Whoever hits 8th has only the pitcher as protection. Because of that, he will get NOTHING to hit. NOTHING. That means that a power hitter that can drive the ball over the wall isn't going to see any pitch that he can drive over the wall. All you will see are balls out of the strike zone.

Now, because of that, you would ideally love to put someone in the 8th spot in the order that is just as postent when they are NOT swinging than when they ARE swinging; someone whose stick is decent, but who has a great eye so as to lay off the many many many many many many many many many balls that will be out of the zone.

Unfortunately, we don't have someone like tha... WAIT! We Do! His name is Doug Mienkevitcz (sp?)! He's the kind of player that doesn't do much with the bat, but he can take a walk and he's veteran enough to milk the 8 hole for all it's worth.

So why the HECK do you not bat him 8th? If he gets nothing good to hit, so what? There's a good chance that if he does get something to hit, he'll ground it out anyway. So bat him 8th, and let Wright hit 6th or 7th. Wright is the kind of player that drive a pitch in the zone 450 feet over the wall. Menky can't.

So, what to do, what to do... Obviously, you bat Wright 8th and take the stick out of the BEST YOUNG HITTER IN BASEBALL'S hands...
bob123
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby warrick95 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:20 am

David Wright is one of the best hitters on the team...no doubt about that. He should be batting in a more formidable place in the lineup. However, like said above, I highly doubt he won't contribute wherever he is in the lineup. As long as he continues putting up the numbers, Randolph would be hard-pressed to keep him batting 8th.

From an immediate standpoint, even though this can't be great for Wright's R/RBI's, you've gotta figure he'll do some serious running out of the 8 hole. With that kind of protection (no protection), they might as well give him the green light. Some already predicted him to get 20 SBs this year. Batting 8th, he may get that even easier than expected.

In conclusion, I don't see him batting down there for the entire season, though. He's too good.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:24 am

Great....first Figgins, now Wright. I have them both on two teams, and they are batting in really crappy positions. How is he going to score runs or get RBI's if pitchers or light hitters are hitting around him. :~( :-t
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bd3521 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:51 am

1. Jose Reyes SS
2. Kazuo Matsui 2B
3. Carlos Beltran CF
4. Mike Piazza C
5. Cliff Floyd LF
6. Mike Cameron RF