Return to General Talk

College

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: College

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:17 pm

BigMusky wrote:
Mustangs989 wrote:
Bloody Nipples wrote:Grinnell College, in Grinnell, Iowa

;-D I actually don't know much about it, but my cousin goes there and likes it, my sister also visited there when looking for colleges and said it was a pretty nice place. I can try and find out some more things if you really want me to but I doubt it's much more than you can find on their website...

Mr Nipples, have you actually ever been to Iowa before? Bit of a culture shock coming from San Fran. I believe that it is a liberal arts college. It is located about half way between Des Moines (city big enough to have everything you want to do) and Iowa City which is where the University of Iowa is. In Iowa City you only have to be 19 to get in the bars and the school was rated #1 for girls by playboy a year or two ago. Both about an hour away.

I have been to Iowa, and yes, it is a culture shock. But the school is self-contained, and its a great campus, so I think I'll be fine culture-wise.

Does nobody besides DomLou go to any of these schools?
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:18 pm

The commute thing is an interesting topic. Personally, if your parents are crazy enough to make a 2 hour weekly trip, they won't hesitate to make a 3 or 4 hour trip. Remember that it works both ways, though. In the beginning, you wanna stay as far away in a lot of instances. Then, you miss the family, free laundry, and stocked fridge. That 3-4 hours will seem like 10 hours.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:28 pm

The commute thing really isnt on my mind. I will only go to a UC school if I dont get enough financial aid from one of the private schools I got into. The UCs are just too big for my liking. So anything that I have to get on a plane to reach or get home will be pretty much the same, since a plane-ride is a plane-ride for the most part.

I'm mostly interested in the atmosphere at each of these schools, and what the people are like at them.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:15 am

Here's a tip.

If you don't get guaranteed financial aid for 4 years to a very pricey school, it's not worth it. If you get a scholarship, make sure you get a guarantee that it lasts 4 years.

I applied to Whitman college for my freshman year, and in the second year they dropped my scholarships by a very significant amount. I actually had to take a 1 year leave of absence in order to 1) Apply to transfer to the UW and 2) get money.

In the mean time I'm studying at a local community college...and to say it kinda sucks isn't doing my situation any justice.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:27 am

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Here's a tip.

If you don't get guaranteed financial aid for 4 years to a very pricey school, it's not worth it. If you get a scholarship, make sure you get a guarantee that it lasts 4 years.

I applied to Whitman college for my freshman year, and in the second year they dropped my scholarships by a very significant amount. I actually had to take a 1 year leave of absence in order to 1) Apply to transfer to the UW and 2) get money.

In the mean time I'm studying at a local community college...and to say it kinda sucks isn't doing my situation any justice.

thanks, thats a helpful tip. I'll keep that in mind ;-D
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk