College - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

College

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:06 am

slomo007 wrote:
eftda wrote:Don't go to UCSD. Its full of kids who do nothing but study. Go to UC Santa Barbara. Its full of challenges but the beaches and drive from SF is fantastic. Its like 3-4 hours from SF.

Knowing nothing about the schools....this is great advice. 3-4 hours is the perfect distance from home. It's far enough that your parents won't surprise you with a Saturday morning pop-in, but yet close enough that you can go home occasionally. Factor in the incredible Cali weather and the stock of women and this would be an easy decision.

Sometimes, those distractions are actually a negative, especially in a demanding major. I have found 2 hours away to be a great distance. That 4 hour commute (without traffic) can get old really quick.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:13 am

An hour commute also sucks. I live at school, but the past 3 weekends I've had to go home for various reasons (mom's birthday, Easter, something else a few weeks ago, etc). It's not a big deal in the long-run but all else equal get at least a couple hours away so your parents don't expect you home a couple times a month! But 4 hours is kinda far. I still expect a monthly re-filling of my groceries by my parents.

Glad I could contribute :*)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:03 am

so0perspam wrote:I've heard a ton of good things about UCSD.

;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:25 am

Lofunzo wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
eftda wrote:Don't go to UCSD. Its full of kids who do nothing but study. Go to UC Santa Barbara. Its full of challenges but the beaches and drive from SF is fantastic. Its like 3-4 hours from SF.

Knowing nothing about the schools....this is great advice. 3-4 hours is the perfect distance from home. It's far enough that your parents won't surprise you with a Saturday morning pop-in, but yet close enough that you can go home occasionally. Factor in the incredible Cali weather and the stock of women and this would be an easy decision.

Sometimes, those distractions are actually a negative, especially in a demanding major. I have found 2 hours away to be a great distance. That 4 hour commute (without traffic) can get old really quick.

True, I'd aim more for the 3 hour drive than the 4...but either way, 4 hours is a lot better than moving to the midwest and going to St Louis or Iowa.

I currently am about 2 1/2 hours from home...I think it's great...wouldn't have it any other way.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Pacman » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:31 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:Pooja, I live in SF,

Not for nuthin, but I began my college journey at Skyline Jr. College in San Bruno, taking some freshman courses at night while I finished my tour in the Navy. I ended it at Boston University. Just mentioning it because at the time (late 80s) Calif. had a great state college system. Some of the professors I had at Skyline rivaled my best professors at BU! Plus the girls at Skyline were really cute. ;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RugbyD » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:28 am

Wash U is defn the best academic option, though I hear the ladies are lacking. Lots of JAPs, and not the asian kind. St. Louis is a good town, despite the fact that cardinals fans live there :-b . It was a top 5 consideration for me.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Re: College

Postby BigMusky » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:40 am

Mustangs989 wrote:
Bloody Nipples wrote:Grinnell College, in Grinnell, Iowa

;-D I actually don't know much about it, but my cousin goes there and likes it, my sister also visited there when looking for colleges and said it was a pretty nice place. I can try and find out some more things if you really want me to but I doubt it's much more than you can find on their website...

Mr Nipples, have you actually ever been to Iowa before? Bit of a culture shock coming from San Fran. I believe that it is a liberal arts college. It is located about half way between Des Moines (city big enough to have everything you want to do) and Iowa City which is where the University of Iowa is. In Iowa City you only have to be 19 to get in the bars and the school was rated #1 for girls by playboy a year or two ago. Both about an hour away.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:09 pm

I'll have to look it up because I don't remember exactly where I read it at, but St. Louis is considered to be a top town for single men. Not only is there a favorable ratio of single women to single men, but the women are pretty hot, too. We just put out a Miss America a year or two ago, and she wasn't even from the wealthy area of St. Louis (she was from Florissant, for those that know the area).

My point is that if you decide that you do want to travel this far away, you will have some lady options available to you even if you go to WashU with the snooty chicks.

Here's the clincher, though: If you come to St. Louis, me and JTWood will hang out with you. Promise.

:-b :-D ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby BigMusky » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:21 pm

That is if you dont get killed in the war zone known as East St. Louis.

Ps... i lived down there one summer in OFallon and Belleville, there were no hot chicks over there. They must hide across the river.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:25 pm

BigMusky wrote:That is if you dont get killed in the war zone known as East St. Louis.

Ps... i lived down there one summer in OFallon and Belleville, there were no hot chicks over there. They must hide across the river.

All of the girls in O'Fallon/Belleville are club-hopping junkies. No wonder you didn't see any hotties there. I worked there for a year and was never impressed with any of them. They were all on ecstasy - seriously.

:-t
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk