College - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

College

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

College

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:07 am

OK, I never thought I'd be asking this type of question on an online forum, especially a fantasy baseball one ;-) , but here goes....

I'm a senior in high school, and I've applied and got accepted to a few different colleges around the country. I am trying to decided between them, but I see many of them as being so close together in terms of being the right place for me that I'm having a difficult time.

Here are the schools I've gotten into, ranked roughly by where I'd most like to go:

Washington University in St. Louis
Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio
Grinnell College, in Grinnell, Iowa
Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, NY
Macalester College in St. Paul, Min.
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara
UC Santa Cruz
UC Davis

(I'm still waiting to hear from a couple schools, but none of them are near the top of my little list.)

So...do any of you cafe members go to (or are alumni of) any of these schools? If so, why should I go to your school? Or, why shouldnt I? I would appreciate basically any information you can give me about life at these schools.

Thanks,
BN
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:12 am

BN, where are you from? How close are you to your family?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:17 am

slomo007 wrote:BN, where are you from? How close are you to your family?

I'm from SF. It doesnt really make a difference how far away from my family I am in college, if thats what you're asking...
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby so0perspam » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:18 am

I've heard a ton of good things about UCSD.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Re: College

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:19 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:Grinnell College, in Grinnell, Iowa

;-D I actually don't know much about it, but my cousin goes there and likes it, my sister also visited there when looking for colleges and said it was a pretty nice place. I can try and find out some more things if you really want me to but I doubt it's much more than you can find on their website...
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:23 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:
slomo007 wrote:BN, where are you from? How close are you to your family?

I'm from SF. It doesnt really make a difference how far away from my family I am in college, if thats what you're asking...

You say that now, but unless your home life is just miserable, I think you'll get at least a little homesick. Not saying you'll be crying every night and counting down the days until Christmas to come home, but I think you'll be surprised.

That said, if you're really just dying to get out of SF, then I know quite a few people who do things like that and just go to a college far from home on purpose. Some people prefer that, but I would be sure that you would be one of those people, otherwise there's a good chance you'll get off to a bad start by being unhappy and maybe even not doing so well gradewise.

Most colleges offer the same set of classes for the first 2 years anyways, so it really isn't a big of a decision as the HS counselors make it seem. However, if you're not wanting to transfer ever, and want to get a degree from the same school you start at, give it some good thought. I can't really be of any help because I've never been/heard anything about those schools....but if it were me and I were in your shoes, I'd probably stick around Cali.

Do you have any idea what you want to do in life? You don't have to know exactly, but it would help to at least have some general direction, as some schools will be stronger in some areas than others.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:24 am

Thanks guys. ;-D

I've visited every place except a few of the UCs, so I know a lot about each of them. But I have yet to stay overnight in any dorms (I will stay at a couple of them in the coming weeks), so I dont have the best feel for how the social stuff works at each of them, or just what the atmostphere is like with the students. Thats why I'm looking for people who go to these schools or used to go to them. I need the inside information ;-) .
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:27 am

slomo007 wrote:Do you have any idea what you want to do in life? You don't have to know exactly, but it would help to at least have some general direction, as some schools will be stronger in some areas than others.

I applied to the school of Architecture at WashU, so thats what I'd do if I went there. I might want to do architecture in grad school. Other than that, something in the liberal arts (I dont yet know what).
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:29 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Do you have any idea what you want to do in life? You don't have to know exactly, but it would help to at least have some general direction, as some schools will be stronger in some areas than others.

I applied to the school of Architecture at WashU, so thats what I'd do if I went there. I might want to do architecture in grad school. Other than that, something in the liberal arts (I dont yet know what).

That's good to know. You won't be absolutely limited with your choice, but definitely aim for a school who is known for what you want to do. You will always be able to switch, but when you hear about the guys who have been in school for 7-8 years, it's typically because they couldn't make up their minds and switched majors about 3 times.

Good luck with the decision, wish I could be of more help. I know that OU has a good architecture program. It's tough, but it's good. ;-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:34 am

For as many rips I've heard on Vassar on the Simpsons, I would suggest against that place. ;-D

Oberlin is from somewhere near me...but I have no idea about how it is or anything like that.

If nothing else, I'd probably guarantee the girls are better at one of the CA schools. ;-)
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk