Is Kevin Brown worth a #1 waiver spot? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Kevin Brown worth a #1 waiver spot?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby eftda » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:48 am

kcs261 wrote:Early on in the season you have to expect that the #1 WW spot will come back to you fairly quick.

yup, thats my logic. Go ahead and do it.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:06 am

Oh my back...oh my hand...which one was it now?...can't seem to recall....how's the mound today?...a bit soft isn't it?...Why can't the ground crew get it right?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Conner » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:19 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Oh my back...oh my hand...which one was it now?...can't seem to recall....how's the mound today?...a bit soft isn't it?...Why can't the ground crew get it right?

He's commented all spring about how great he feels, physically.

I'd definitely use a waiver spot on him, especially if you could use another starter, and he's the best one available.

He may be the Yankees fifth starter, and because of that, he may lose a start or two early in the year. I'd doubt that, though. I think Torre will just let everyone have some extra days off, and not skip anyone.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Octavian » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:45 am

I wouldn't bother. He's past it, he pitched well against Tampa Bay last year in the first half of the year and that was about it, that is... until he broke his own hand... and if he doesn't hurt himself, I'm sure his back will give out and that's not to mention the fact that he's either the 4th or 5th starter.

Brown = :-t
Octavian
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:57 am

I'd do it. High risk, high reward. Don't forget, as the Yankees #5 pitchers, he'll often be facing #5 pitchers from other teams. He should get plenty of wins as long as he's healthy. The health is the only thing I worry about.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:13 am

tough call but i think i would pass and see if bigger fish become available. i guess it kind of depends on the quality of your league though. public league i would definitely hold on to the #1 spot. league with fairly knowledgable people i would be more inclined to claim brown.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:40 pm

Not that anyone needs ANOTHER reason to stay clear o fthis guy, but:

Rotoworld:
Because of their schedule, the Yankees may go without a fifth starter for the first three weeks of the season.
The starter getting bumped will likely either be Kevin Brown or Jaret Wright, although Carl Pavano is also a possibility. ''Somebody is going to have to be the one guy who is not going to be a starting pitcher the first three weeks of the season,'' manager Joe Torre said. ''But don't read too much into that it's our fifth starter and we are not going to use them. That other guy, I'm not sure that doesn't mean he won't come into a game out of the bullpen if the situation presents itself.''
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Not me

Postby rainman23 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:46 pm

I've got the top waiver priority in my league, and I wouldn't consider wasting it on Kevin Brown. The guy wasn't drafted in my league until the 12th round, and that's much earlier than I would have taken him. He's had one season in the last several where he didn't become his owner's headache. If I needed pitching and he was a FA, I'd definitely take a flyer on him. But I wouldn't give up a high waiver for the privilege.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:07 pm

Yanks to skip Wright

Jaret Wright, SP NYY

News: Jaret Wright will be skipped the first time the New York Yankees go through their starting pitching rotation this season. The decision was made because the Yankees have three off days during the opening 10 days of the regular season.

Analysis: Wright will make his first start at Baltimore on April 15. "It's not easy when you have five quality people like we have," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "We just decided to line them up that way. Maybe we felt Jaret can handle that physically. And he was fine with it."

TheYanks04 wrote:Not that anyone needs ANOTHER reason to stay clear o fthis guy, but:

Rotoworld:
Because of their schedule, the Yankees may go without a fifth starter for the first three weeks of the season.
The starter getting bumped will likely either be Kevin Brown or Jaret Wright, although Carl Pavano is also a possibility. ''Somebody is going to have to be the one guy who is not going to be a starting pitcher the first three weeks of the season,'' manager Joe Torre said. ''But don't read too much into that it's our fifth starter and we are not going to use them. That other guy, I'm not sure that doesn't mean he won't come into a game out of the bullpen if the situation presents itself.''
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers