DOTEL??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

DOTEL???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DOTEL???

Postby DannyMyron89 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:09 pm

what do u guys think Dotel will do this year....

i was thinking cause this guy in my league wants Corey patterson bad so i might offer him patterson for dotel... i have alot of steals cause i have beltran, rollins, brian roberts, and vernon wells should get some this year...

but my closer is k rod and my other is chad cordero, not very strong...

what do u guys think?
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jpbusta » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:11 pm

I think you should go for a little higher maybe try someone like Nathan or Benitez first.
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Re: DOTEL???

Postby jjigglers » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:13 pm

DannyMyron89 wrote:what do u guys think Dotel will do this year....

i like him as a good bet to drop his ERA from last year (in oakland) and repeat high K. saves are kind of random, but i think he'll get (and convert) his fair share of save opps.

DannyMyron89 wrote:i was thinking cause this guy in my league wants Corey patterson bad so i might offer him patterson for dotel... i have alot of steals cause i have beltran, rollins, brian roberts, and vernon wells should get some this year...

but my closer is k rod and my other is chad cordero, not very strong...

what do u guys think?

this part feels like one of those trade questions hidden as, "how do you think ____ will do?"
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:15 pm

jpbusta wrote:I think you should go for a little higher maybe try someone like Nathan or Benitez first.

Dotel will have a moderate bounce back and I'd rather have him than Benitez due to strikeout numbers. I think the trade would be a deal for you as well.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:20 pm

I like Dotel this year - something like a 3.5 era with 100+ strikeouts seems likely. Toss in 30-some saves and he's solid.

Better than Patterson? Yes. Especially in leagues that count OBP and OPS. But if he's really high on Patterson, you might be able to get even more out of him. Maybe something like

Patterson/Cordero

for

Dotel/another good closer.

Maybe he'd bite.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:38 pm

jpbusta wrote:I think you should go for a little higher maybe try someone like Nathan or Benitez first.

I took him over both of these guys. He gives you the K's of a starter, and you can expect that ERA to come down too bcuz he gave up more homeruns than usual last year, hence inflating his ERA a little. I think he is totally undervalued this season.

I say he is top 6, but I look for guys with good K's as a closer, because you cant predict saves.
Last edited by RynMan on Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mrider » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:45 pm

hes good 35 saves for sure and lower era hes still a excellent closer.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:01 pm

Points league such as cbs.sportsline, I take Dotel because of his high K totals.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:01 pm

RynMan wrote:

I took him over both of these guys. He gives you the K's of a starter, and you can expect that ERA to come down too bcuz he gave up more homeruns than usual last year, hence inflating his ERA a little. I think he is totally undervalued this season.

I say he is top 6, but I look for guys with good K's as a closer, because you cant predict saves.

I agree. I see last year's ERA as an aberration, and I don't see any reason why he won't return to his pre-2004 numbers. His ERA might be a little bit higher than 2001-2003 because of the league switch, but pitching in a pitchers park instead of a hitters park should largely offset that.

There are only about 5 closers who can get 110-120 K's, and the value of these closers is often underestimated. The fact is that the extra 50-60 K's you'd get from having Dotel instead of Benitez is just as significant as the strikeout difference between Curt Schilling and Mark Mulder.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bobby Baseball » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:10 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:
RynMan wrote:

I agree. I see last year's ERA as an aberration, and I don't see any reason why he won't return to his pre-2004 numbers. His ERA might be a little bit higher than 2001-2003 because of the league switch, but pitching in a pitchers park instead of a hitters park should largely offset that.

There are only about 5 closers who can get 110-120 K's, and the value of these closers is often underestimated. The fact is that the extra 50-60 K's you'd get from having Dotel instead of Benitez is just as significant as the strikeout difference between Curt Schilling and Mark Mulder.

nicely done! ;-D

Double Deuce Ranch
Bobby Baseball
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers