Norihiro Nakamura - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Norihiro Nakamura

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Norihiro Nakamura

Postby jay » Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:49 pm

arlo can you please explain who this guy is and his fantasy impact. thanks
Zack Greinke...the next Greg Maddux. LOOK IT UP!
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:26 am

Sure thing - check the Sleepers column later today... :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:50 pm

It's possible that scheduling conflicts will push the sleeper conflict back until tomorrow, but since I promised this for today, here's the text ahead of time: :-)

With all the attention being given to Hideki Matsui, other Japanese stars who might cross the Pacific and join the major leagues are being all but ignored. Perhaps the best of these is Norihiro Nakamura. The 29-year old third baseman has played his entire career with the Kintetsu Buffaloes and is now a free agent; he is currently making up his mind whether to stay in Japan or sign with an MLB team.

Any team that lands Nakamura will have added an excellent bat to its lineup. Nakamura, who has led Japan's Pacific League in both home runs and runs batted in, finished the 2002 season with 42 home runs and 115 rbi in 140 games, along with a solid .294 average. His defense is only average and he doesn't have much speed, but his bat should make up for those shortcomings. Besides, defense won't worry fantasy owners, and stolen bases probably aren't what you're looking for at the hot corner. If Nakamura does decide to leave Japan, he should be in the top third of major league third basemen.

So far, the New York Mets seem to be the frontrunners for Nakamura's services. With Edgardo Alfonzo no longer in town, the Mets need to plug a hole at third and have already held talks with Nakamura and his agent. This would seem to be a very good match, the only question being whether the Mets have enough payroll flexibility to offer Nakamura a contract equivalent to what he would earn in Japan. The Cubs also seem interested, and San Francisco could be in the mix as well.

Keep a close eye on where Nakamura winds up this offseason. At a time when solid third basemen aren't all that easy to find, he could be an excellent addition to your fantasy roster, at far less of an investment than Hideki Matsui. It would, of course, remain to be seen how well Nakamura can adjust to major league pitching, but thirty homers and a .290 average seems like a realistic estimate.

Hope that helps. Nakamura's certainly a risk, but I like his potential at a relatively shallow position. In fact, I like him so much that I grabbed him last summer for my keeper team...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jay » Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:00 am

thanks a lot. im sure none of my other league members know about this guy.
Zack Greinke...the next Greg Maddux. LOOK IT UP!
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Norihiro Nakamura

Postby sagamiwara » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:58 pm

Hi all.Im baseball fan in Japan.

Nakamura-Mets is gamble. He have many strike out. I bet 66% Nakamura will be good Leaguer.
My stats thought
AVG .260-.290 HR 15-25

At least he is not Shinjo level player.He can hit hard not only fastball.He is clutch in Japan.My fav team is his rival team.When he is in Japan,I watch many game win hit by him.

He is not good defence player.He won gold glove but its not come from his ability.He is star that made he won it.

http://www.npb-bis.com/player/register/ ... 25920.html

His stats in Japan.

His Swing is unique.When he smash dinger you will excite about His
swing.Its huge action.Dont miss it!

Thank you for reading.

My page!(Include Kazuo Matsui. Our Star!)

http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/profiles/r ... name=bbfjf
Lions Rule!
sagamiwara
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Baseball Leftovers