Russ Branyan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Russ Branyan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Russ Branyan

Postby Hudson72 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:43 pm

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has got an inside scoop on this guy? I'm in a Home Run Derby league and I'm hoping Branyan can provide 25 HR's as my utility player. I figure even in a platoon role this guy can slug 20 bombs, and if he ever gets a full time job, look out....

Still his playing time seems murky...I've followed him closely and he's been tearing it up this spring, and seems to have the inside track on the 3rd base gig for the Brewers. At the very least I've heard he'd play everyday against righties.....does anyone have any info on this? Thanks in advance.
Hudson72
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby This is the year » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:04 pm

Surprisingly, Branyan edges out Dunn and Bonds for most powerful hitter in the game (according to Forecaster)...The problem is that he can't make contact. If he has a full time job he could definitely clobber 30 homers, but are you willing to take the .240-ish average that comes with it? Think "Jose Valentin"

I'm not sure what a home run derby league is though, so maybe that won't affect you.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Hudson72 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:40 pm

Wow, that's some good info....thanks for the input. Yeah all my league is based on is simply HR's. You get a 220 salary cap and players cost what they hit last year (i.e. Dunn costs 46, Thome 42, etc)....you start all positions and a DH, and need to field a 13 man team. It's pretty cool.

That being said, do you feel Branyan has the inside track on this job? Have you seen anything recently on this? Also what is that forecaster thing you mentioned. Thanks!
Hudson72
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:39 pm

Definitely a good pick to have in a HR only league. So far in camp, Branyan has greatly outplayed Wes Helms, and almost every Brewer fan would like Russ to start against every RHP at the very least, if not every day. Given starter's ABs, 40 HR would not surpise me. I was at the game where Russ debuted as a Brewer. First AB, the guy hits the longest HR in Miller Park history. Of course, in most leagues, his 170-200 K and .230ish average would bring you down. I actually have him in a league where BA is not a category, and neither are Ks. Instead, OPS is. He's valuable in a league like that too, as he posted a very solid .840+ OPS last year.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Hudson72 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:12 am

Thanks Scooter....any idea when the Brewers will annonuce what they plan to do with the 3rd base situation?
Hudson72
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:07 pm

Hudson72 wrote:Thanks Scooter....any idea when the Brewers will annonuce what they plan to do with the 3rd base situation?

No official word yet, as far as I know. The fear many Brewer fans have is that Yost seems to have a thing for Helms. Melvin (the GM) preferes Branyan. At one point Yost mentioned a platoon, with Helms hitting lefties (which is about the only baseball related skill Wes is good at). However, he has also gone on record in the past stating he doesn't like platoons. Bottom line, if he makes his decision based on performance, numbers, logic, defense, and upside, he'll pick Russ.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Hudson72 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:23 pm

Good stuff Scooter, thanks man. If you hear anything, could you please let me know, thanks dude!
Hudson72
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers