How to adjust in an 11x11 H2H League?!? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to adjust in an 11x11 H2H League?!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to adjust in an 11x11 H2H League?!?

Postby Berge » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:32 pm

Ok, I've only been playing FFB for two years now and one of my leagues is going to be 11x11! I've done 5x5 and 6x6, so I am not quite sure how to adjust.

Any thoughts? My first instincts say I need to get solid OBP guys and avoid the high power, high k type guys. Pitching seems to be heavily slanted to the Starting pitcher....

Categories are:

R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, IBB, HBP, K

IP, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, ER, BB, IBB, HBP, K

We play:

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util

SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P
Berge
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Berge20 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:55 pm

Toughy? Just uncommon?
No clue why the commish won't just use OBP and eliminate a few, but he's running things....
Berge20
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:20 pm

W/ HR + 2B/3B, you can't just write off power guys for OBP guys as most of the OBP leaders tend to be big guns across the board. If you are set up in yahoo, it probably would be a good idea to get lists ranking each of those cats to try to pick up a few 'winners' for those specific cats.

We use:

AB, R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, E, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS

and

W, L, CG, SHO, SV, HR, BB, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP, K/9

I don't like using IBB and BB as that will lead to a sick amount of 'double dipping'. I do agree that SP, particularly Livan Hernandez and other guys who do pitch CG occasionallly, have more value than in 5x5 leagues or even a league w/ a couple of extra 'ratio' categories like ours. I targeted Livan, Sheets and Santana last year and won quite a few weeks w/ the extra points from their CG efforts (which also, of course, help ERA, IP, K, etc....). I'd suggest seeing if you can get support for a slight adjustment to a few more 'ratio' categories (K/9, WHIP, SLG instead of 3B and or 2B...) to fill stuff out instead of the additional 'counting' cats you are using. You could still do this but, if it's too late or no one is interested, I would get some CG aces asap.

Perhaps it will balance the league a bit w/ Bonds out for a while but our categories have worked well for 3 years now so I am ok w/ the format. It IS painful losing E every week when you have Soriano and Bonds weak AB costs his owners that cat pretty regularly so it is not as screwy as it might look. K guys not only lose that cat but typically can be a drag on the OBP/ OPS cats too. I have not tried to do any math to see if it's 'better' or 'worse' than the 5x5 leagues but it works, is competitive and people have pretty much stuck with it all year, which are our main goals. I am doing a 5x5 league too so maybe I'll have a better feel for how they differ by the Allstar break?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:25 pm

my strategy:

pick barry bonds.

he'll win you BB and IBB pretty much by himself. his other numbers arn't shabby, either. ;-7

triples are rare, so make sure to grab someone who gets a lot of them, like pierre or even a lower-in-the-order figgins.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Berge20 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:29 am

Yeh, I've got to do a bit more research on who K's a lot batting and such. I'm sure some of those power guys have crazy K rates.
Berge20
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:28 am

Overbay is another guy who hits TONS of doubles and, due to low HR at 1B should likely be available fairly cheaply/ late. I kind of expect him to go deep a bit more as he ages but I think that he'd be a decent pickup for that sort of format.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers