Another Strong Team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Another Strong Team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby abstractpoet » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:05 am

Yeah, A-Rod and Soriano are both top five picks in a lot of drafts. So whether that's luck or skill, you made out like a bandit. I think you can package one of your weaker starters (Arroyo or Willis) with one of your outfielders to land a second tier starter--maybe even someone like Beckett or Harden if you've got some dummies in your league.
abstractpoet
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JDD » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:47 am

The reason I GOT those guys is that this is NOT a ROTO league which over-values stolen bases. This is a Head-to-Head league which TOTALS the fantasy points and then determines the winner... a typical score would be something like 240 to 220 or something smaller for a weekend match up.

The thing you have to remember when playing a twelve team league like this... it is almost impossible to pick up a decent hitter from the waiver wire.

And the way to win is to always have three good starting pitchers ready to go during each match-up.

By request, I will post my draft either today or tomorrow...
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JDD » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:54 am

And for those of you who cannot wait, here are my first ten picks, and I picked fourth during a FAST LIVE DRAFT....

A-Rod
Oswalt
Pedro (hunch)
Hoffman (another hunch)
Soriano
Cabrera
Young
Matsui
Konerko (those last three picks were sweet)
Ryan (steal)

After that, I went after my outfield, then took the last of the good hitters, then filled out my rotation. I am counting on Willis and Glavine to continue their good springs into the regular season. If they do not, I am in a heap of trouble.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby abstractpoet » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:17 am

Are you doing a Sandbox (Fullcount) league? I used to be in one of those until they started charging money. :-/ Fun times, though--I actually like that kind of league much better than the yahoo head to head style, which doesn't penalize you nearly as much when one of your starters totally tanks a game. And I like how the Sandbox leagues give you crazy bonus points for things like hitting for the cycle or no hitters.

Even in that kind of league, I still think Soriano is by far the strongest 2nd baseman. I can't believe he dropped all the way to the fifth round!
abstractpoet
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ThunderSnarfer » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:29 am

Regardless of league setup, Soriano shouldnt have made it past the 2nd round.

Cabrera shouldnt have made it past the 2nd round. Pedro and Oswalt past the 3rd.

And young is another top 40 player in my opinion. Looks like you were drafting with a bunch of monkeys, unless they know something I dont.
ThunderSnarfer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:32 am

Man, that's a great team. Wow. How'd you get Pedro-Oswalt-Cabrera-Soriano.... Man, what a great combo.

I'd be a bit concerned with saves. I see Hoffman getting hurt (my crystal ball often lies, though), and Ryan and Batista would be a tough pairing. You could do some trading to strengthen that, though.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:34 am

JDD wrote:And for those of you who cannot wait, here are my first ten picks, and I picked fourth during a FAST LIVE DRAFT....

A-Rod
Oswalt
Pedro (hunch)
Hoffman (another hunch)
Soriano
Cabrera
Young
Matsui
Ryan (steal)

After that, I went after my outfield, then took the last of the good hitters, then filled out my rotation. I am counting on Willis and Glavine to continue their good springs into the regular season. If they do not, I am in a heap of trouble.

Wait, Cabrera fell to the sixth round?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:55 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
JDD wrote:And for those of you who cannot wait, here are my first ten picks, and I picked fourth during a FAST LIVE DRAFT....

A-Rod
Oswalt
Pedro (hunch)
Hoffman (another hunch)
Soriano
Cabrera
Young
Matsui
Ryan (steal)

Wait, Cabrera fell to the sixth round?

and hoffman went in the 4th round????? wow i like hoffman alot, but not 4th round material....

but nice team.... good hitting, good pitching... maybe try to move rowand for a closer would be the best way to get a closer i think..... bay or reed will fill in nicely imo for rowand....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AtP » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:44 pm

Again it's not your draft I have beef's with. I would like to see who the other 11 yahoo's picked ahead of Soriano. Regardless of scoring you have to put a 2B out there, and he is head and shoulders above any other 2B. No way he goes any lower than early 2nd round in any draft.
Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.
AtP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JDD » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:21 pm

In the Fantasy Point format, Mark Loretta can score you just as many points as Soriano, because a Roto format over-values stolen bases. They are not one-tenth of the game itself, so why give them that much value in a fantasy game.

Stolen bases do not spin off into another category, unless you count runs. And since running teams don't always score more points in real baseball games, it stands to reason the same will happen in fantasy baseball.

That's why I don't play roto. Carl Crawford is a nice player, but I don't think he is one of the best in the game, so why would I go out of my way to draft him very early? Well he might win me a category... so sure, play to your rules, but I prefer one set over another.

And to answer the question, yes this is over at Sandbox, using a slight variation on the Full Count rules.

More later...
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team