Baseball Tonight on ... well tonight - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Tonight on ... well tonight

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby fantasyfiend » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:45 am

I have to say that seeing as how the A's and the Dodgers are my favorite teams, it was a very interesting offseason in where the pundits feel these teams have fallen off the Earth.

As to HR talking about what is a small market, I think he tends to forget it's a term that not only defines the area but the interest of baseball in that area. You could build a baseball team in Green Bay but they would probably never trade their Packer Loyalty; there is a small market interest.

And with the Dodgers, I wouldn't doubt that type of analysis from Reynolds; nevermind the fact that Kent is rated highly in UZR or the fact that Dodger Stadium is notorious for affecting all types of hitting except HR's. I'd say the one position that worries me the most is catcher as Philips and Ross is somewhat blaise.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kev921 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:04 am

:-/ Ok, some of us who fell asleep before this episode of BBTN started.

What I want to know is when does this become a nightly show again? :-)
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pacman » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:10 am

Just had a good thought (forgive me, hockey fans). Remember all those times the first couple months of each season, when Baseball Tonight either isn't on, or is on really late, because of NHL playoff games, especially overtime playoff games????

Not a problem this year. ;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:04 am

fantasyfiend wrote:As to HR talking about what is a small market, I think he tends to forget it's a term that not only defines the area but the interest of baseball in that area. You could build a baseball team in Green Bay but they would probably never trade their Packer Loyalty; there is a small market interest.

What? Give me a break. So how can SF have a salary thats over double OAK? How much different a demographic is San Fran to Oakland? Be honest about it - this come down to an owner who refuses to spend on his club. Granted he doesnt have to - he's taken this club to the playoffs and division championships more often than the teams that spent more over the last decade, but dont make an excuse for him by assuming people in the area just dont like baseball - thats hogwash.

fantasyfiend wrote:And with the Dodgers, I wouldn't doubt that type of analysis from Reynolds; nevermind the fact that Kent is rated highly in UZR or the fact that Dodger Stadium is notorious for affecting all types of hitting except HR's. I'd say the one position that worries me the most is catcher as Philips and Ross is somewhat blaise.

The things that are going to hurt this team the most are the emphasis on statistics that went into building it. What kind of stat indicates the level of volatility you get when putting Kent and Drew in the same clubhouse as Milton Bradley? What about the defense? This was a team that ws on the verge of being a real contender - now they will be lucky to win .500 or finish higher than 3rd in the division.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hybrid » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:19 pm

kev921 wrote::-/ Ok, some of us who fell asleep before this episode of BBTN started.

What I want to know is when does this become a nightly show again? :-)

Well it's on tonight at the same time, 12:17 a.m. but not Wed. night. Then it's back for Thurs. night .... so it's on and off for the moment, but it looks like an everyday thing starting Sunday (the 1st day of MLB).
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:22 pm

Thursday night is the Yankees/Red Sox special. Yay. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GameOn » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:55 pm

fantasyfiend wrote:Reynolds has got to be the stupidest baseball analyst I have ever witnessed in my life.

Absolutely no concept of what the Dodgers or A's are doing based off Win Shares and other sabermetric methods. Since he doesnt understand it, he just calls it wrong. idiot

No, Harold just played baseball. He thinks he has a better idea of how to create a team than Bill James (who by the way, never played the game and all he can do is run some equations). And for the last time...the A's do not win because they have high win share player or high OBP players...THEY WIN BECAUSE THEY HAD HUDSON, MULDER, and ZITO. Their offense isn't anything great, their pitching staff is who wins the games. And with Hudson and Mulder gone they are going to have a tough time. I love the A's but I can't stand all this Moneyball, Bill James praise they get. They are a good team because they have great starting pitching...or had great starting pitching.

As for the Dodgers...I clearly think they have made some poor moves. They lose Lo Duca and Mota for Penny. Penny is a good starting pitcher, but in REAL BASEBALL (not fantasy) I do not think he is worth a top of the line catcher and a dominant setup man. Also, they replace Beltre with Valentin? That is a HUGE downgrade. They should have had a better backup plan for losing Beltre. And finally they lose Finley and Green and get Drew and Kent....I personally think that is a downgrade, especially considering that they will probably play Kent at 1B soon.

LOL @ his comment about Bartolo going to sleep for 10 games and still finishing the season with 18 wins. Ya, what an amazing individual effort on his part.

Colon started out the year great and then fell off. His point was just that if he could win 18 pitching that poorly...how will he do when he pitches at the level he is capable of?
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:40 pm

GameOn wrote:
LOL @ his comment about Bartolo going to sleep for 10 games and still finishing the season with 18 wins. Ya, what an amazing individual effort on his part.

Colon started out the year great and then fell off. His point was just that if he could win 18 pitching that poorly...how will he do when he pitches at the level he is capable of?

It's not like Colon has some innate characteristic that helps him win games even when he pitches bad. He was just lucky. Even the best pitchers probably won't win 18. To think some crappy tub-o-lard pitcher can win 18 just because he was lucky is waaaaay too far-fetched for me.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby chadxor » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:53 pm

No, Harold just played baseball. He thinks he has a better idea of how to create a team than Bill James (who by the way, never played the game and all he can do is run some equations). And for the last time...the A's do not win because they have high win share player or high OBP players...THEY WIN BECAUSE THEY HAD HUDSON, MULDER, and ZITO. Their offense isn't anything great, their pitching staff is who wins the games. And with Hudson and Mulder gone they are going to have a tough time. I love the A's but I can't stand all this Moneyball, Bill James praise they get. They are a good team because they have great starting pitching...or had great starting pitching.

actually, he did play. he was a big time prospect that happened to fizzle in the minors. did you actually read the book? one of the points made was that players respected him more because he actually had played the game
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:00 pm

chadxor wrote:

actually, he did play. he was a big time prospect that happened to fizzle in the minors. did you actually read the book? one of the points made was that players respected him more because he actually had played the game

You might be confusing Bill James and Billy Beane. James never played. Beane was a Mets prospect that fizzled.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers