My first live draft -How did I do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My first live draft -How did I do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My first live draft -How did I do?

Postby johnnie2130 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:57 pm

5 X 5 Roto league. How does my team look?

C A. Pierzynski (CWS - C)
1B A. Pujols (StL - 1B)
2B M. Loretta (SD - 2B)
3B C. Jones (Atl - 3B,OF)
SS D. Jeter (NYY - SS)
OF M. Ordóñez (Det - OF)
OF C. Lee (Mil - OF)
OF G. Anderson (LAA - OF)
Util J. Wilson (Pit - SS)
BN C. Crisp (Cle - OF)
BN A. Boone (Cle - 3B)
BN F. Thomas (CWS - Util)
BN W. Taveras (Hou - OF)

SP J. Schmidt (SF - SP)
SP J. Beckett (Fla - SP)
RP B. Wickman (Cle - RP)
RP U. Urbina (Det - RP)
P E. Milton (Cin - SP)
P J. Piñeiro (Sea - SP)
P D. Willis (Fla - SP)
BN K. Brown (NYY - SP)
johnnie2130
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hookem2003 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:10 pm

First, how big a league is it? From there, AJ could be a nice surprise this season, we'll see. Servicable though. Infield is solid. Watch to see if Boone gets 2b eligibility - if he does then deal the hotter of the two 2b's for another outfielder, RP, or SP. Not real sure about GA and I'd want someone other than Jack Wilson holding down the Util position. Look for someone like Hidalgo or Mench on the wire. Pitching needs work. Schmidt's a stud and Beckett has the potential to be, but has been inconsistent along with the rest of your pitchers. If you get lucky, it could be a nice rotation. But if Beckett and Brown were to go to the DL like they have in the past, and D Train disappoints (I hope he doesn't cause he's my #5) then you're rotation is shot. Definitely need an upgrade at RP. Urbina's a decent #2 closer and Wickman a #3. You're gonna need to pick up a couple more throughout the season to keep pace in that category or make a trade. As crazy as it sounds, you might look to move Pujols for a Tex, Helton, etc. + a closer or a proven SP.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnnie2130 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:17 pm

It's a 12 team league. I got confused near the end because I diudn't know all the players. I wish I could do more mock drafts to get better at it. Thanks for the help so far. I'll see who's on the WW.

J. Frasor (Tor - RP) is on the WW. There's not much more there unless there's some sleepers I don't know about. Any sleepers?
johnnie2130
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JakeBauer » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:32 pm

Doesn't seem too shabby too me for 12 teams. Your rotation has too many question marks in my opinion. Other than Schmidt you could either implode or hang around near the top. You don't have that #1 RP but I'd go for another dependable SP first. Anderson and Ordonez both are a bit of a question mark. and your bench is no certainty for the OF. I don't know who's left available, but you might want to shore that up a little incase you get hit by the injury bug.
JakeBauer
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby hookem2003 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:51 pm

This isn't something you necessarily can fix right now. Stay on top of the boards here throughout the season and pick up people as you go. There's an old saying that you can't win your league on draft day, but you can lose it. That definitely applies to you - you didn't lose it, but need to work on it throughout the season. I got Lidge and Abreu last year off waivers and rode them to the title. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's got that story. Just gonna take a little extra elbow grease. ;-D
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby A2theIzzo » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:03 pm

OF is a little weak, but its decent.
A2theIzzo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ccsammy21 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:17 pm

Your team has potential but watch out for guys like Ordonez and Beckett who could end up worthless all season. I like your SP if they can stay healthy but try and trade for a better closer. Wickman is too shaky and Urbina plays for a bad team. And I'm sure you can find better bench players on the free agent list. I would drop Thomas because hes too old and out at least a month. And Taveras can get a much better replacement as well.

Rate my team!
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=107234
ccsammy21
College Coach
College Coach

whatever changes you make

Postby rajah » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:42 pm

....be sure the new guys have some speed....other than Jeter, you have none in the starting lineup. Crisp has some and so does Taveras, but he is gonna hurt you in other categories. Agree with the Big Hurt suggestion - see if you can do a package with him and maybe get back a frontline SP and another bat (preferrably with quick feet).
Take two and hit to right
rajah
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team