Being a personal trainer. Anyone have info? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Being a personal trainer. Anyone have info?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:18 pm

Amazinz wrote:
slomo007 wrote:The degree is what trains you on how to even assemble a business plan and what it takes to run that business, so without it you won't have what it takes to present yourself successfully unless you just have a high general business knowledge without education (some people do, as obviously you do, but many don't).

Sorry but I think this is poo-poo. O:-)

I would never suggest someone not get a degree because it makes your life a lot easier. But as far as running your own business you either have it or you don't. I don't believe that any amount of college will prepare you for what it takes. I have my Masters in Computer Science so I'm not just dismissing people with degrees.

Every year I work with young punks (I was the young punk once) who come out of college with a degree in CS or BMIS and have absolutely no clue as to what it takes to work within a production team, design code on a deadline and work with clients. They know how to code but they have no idea how to make that skill profitable.

Again, I agree. But do you think a HS grad knows how to do that? Even more doubtful.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:49 pm

Like anything in life you have to learn how to do stuff.

I tell you what, I would rather be resourceful and try to find people that are self employed and have done this instead of spending 100K to have a teacher show me how to do it. I want to learn from someone that has walked the shoes
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:11 am

SHOCKandAWE wrote:Like anything in life you have to learn how to do stuff.

I tell you what, I would rather be resourceful and try to find people that are self employed and have done this instead of spending 100K to have a teacher show me how to do it. I want to learn from someone that has walked the shoes

I know what you're saying..but not everyone has the entrepreneurial spririt. For you, that's great, and I actually admire that you knew yourself well enough before hand to accomplish what you've done without going through school.

You either are or aren't an entrepreneur...if you're hesitant, there's little chance to succeed. I would hope you would at least agree with me here.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:17 am

slomo007 wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:Like anything in life you have to learn how to do stuff.

I know what you're saying..but not everyone has the entrepreneurial spririt. For you, that's great, and I actually admire that you knew yourself well enough before hand to accomplish what you've done without going through school.

You either are or aren't an entrepreneur...if you're hesitant, there's little chance to succeed. I would hope you would at least agree with me here.

I agree totally with you here!

Back to the original post though i think he does have that desire and I am just syaing that I think he should go for it. It is a scary choice to make, however I think anytime you make a change like that it can be scary. the older he gets the harder it is to take chances. Once you have a family and kids it gets tougher because now you have to make choices that are now in the best interest of the familly. This will most of the time require something with more job security than taking a chance at making it as a business owner.

My advice to him would be do all the homework first and try to be resourceful. get to know others that are in the same field and have walked the shoes that you want to fill. Who know! Maybe after doing research he may find that this is going to be more work than what he willing to invest. It is never wise to jump right into this without doing some serious research first. If he gets in a finds out that maybe he can grow his business into more than just personal training. He can partner up with a Chiropractor, Hire a massage therapist, maybe even try to get a job working at a gym first to make sure he likes it.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:15 pm

My advice if you're going to be a personal trainer:

Avoid Balco.

:-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby so0perspam » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:16 pm

Madison wrote:My advice if you're going to be a personal trainer:

Avoid Balco.

:-b

Ahahaha .... :-B
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer