Being a personal trainer. Anyone have info? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Being a personal trainer. Anyone have info?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:00 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:It's just between going to class in the morning, studying, working full time, keeping the house clean, spending time with the girlfriend, making money playing poker, etc, I'm always physically and emotionally drained.

How about keeping your girlfriend occupied by having her clean your house? Seems like that's killing two birds with one stone.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:39 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Baseballer02 wrote:It's just between going to class in the morning, studying, working full time, keeping the house clean, spending time with the girlfriend, making money playing poker, etc, I'm always physically and emotionally drained.

How about keeping your girlfriend occupied by having her clean your house? Seems like that's killing two birds with one stone.

ZING! :-B :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby BigMusky » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:46 pm

I know some rich dudes that worked their way up the restaraunt business chain, but you wont make didly squat unless you open your own place or start a franchise restaraunt. Alot of work and very little security because they fail all the time.

I would suggest that you quit working full time because in my opinion your school is more important. If they wont cut your hours, get anothe r job that has lower hours. If you need the money, get a second job that allows you to study while you work. Like working a computer help desk somewhere with the school.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Tavish » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:59 pm

baseballer02 in a couple of years:

Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:02 pm

I would say stay in school. If memory serves, you are 20 at the most. I would assume that the restaurant gig seems cool now because you can make some cash and have fun with the lady but, in reality, you probably aren't really making good $$. Once you get older, you will realize that. When you are younger, the most important things are some cash in the pocket and a girl on your arm. That gets old pretty quick. Take it from me. I just turned 34 and I have 1 10 credit class to go for my B.A. It gets much more difficult to get the degree when you get older.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:11 pm

Degrees are good to have, but in my opinion if you're not going to go into whatever field you are studying after you are through, it's almost a waste of time.

My best friend was the valedictorian of my HS class, and he became a physics major at the same college I went to. I majored in Chemistry. He did great in non-physics classes, but he did pretty bad in the physics ones. I did OK in pretty much every class...no super grades, but no D's (had a C in a few).

Anyway, we both graduated with degrees. Within a month, I had found a job as a Chemist at a local chemical distributor. A few months later, my friend got a job as an insurance claim taker at the insurance company his mother works at. The only thing you needed to know how to do was to use a computer and talk to people on the phone. He currently makes about 4 dollars an hour than I do and routinely wins free things from the company. Did he really have to go to college to do what he's doing? Nope...

Yes, the place I work at is the problem as far as wage, but the point is at least I enjoy the work I do and it's in the field I enjoy (chemistry). I'm pretty sure my friend doesn't get any enjoyment in talking to people all day other than hearing how stupidly they managed to wreck their car. He also has a lot of supervision whereas I basically do my own work with little direction from my "boss." I do a lot of surfing, and the job really isn't that hard...plus occasionally I get to try to make stuff which is always fun. :-)

I guess the point I'm making is that if you enjoy the whole restaurant thing and really hate (or are not finding the point in) college, then maybe you should stop. If you are willing to work hard in that industry and think that you will have the experience necessary to advance and make more money, go for it. But as everyone else said, having a degree doesn't hurt - it shows any would-be employer that you have some smarts. ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:20 pm

And if he wants to handle claims for the rest of his life, I might agree with you. A college degree is a great thing to have, no matter what. There are lots of jobs that you don't technically need a degree for but that doesn't make it useless. I am starting a new job soon and I will make excellent $$. I don't need my degree for it and I will be paying off my school forever but I wouldn't trade it in.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Pablo975 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:24 am

Here's my two cents....find what makes you happy. What you are passionate about. Find something you can at least somewhat enjoy.

A degree means A LOT less these days. It's basic supply and demand. The last 40 years or so, everyone has had it drilled into their heads, "If you don't get a degree, you'll never amount to anything!". Problem is, the last decade or two, a LOT more people have had, and taken, the opportunity to go to college....which has flooded the market with degreed people looking for work.

Now, at the same time, jobs have been drying up in our country. Computers replace humans by doing tasks faster, more reliably, and with less bitching/issues than humans. Jobs get outsourced overseas. Companies have downsized.

All this means is there are more people than there are jobs, meaning the competition is greater.....and also means employers are in the drivers seat. Say an employer has a job opening that pays 40k per year. If you have a degree, and every other person applying has one, why should you get the job at all? And what if the guy behind you will do it for 35K? Once companies realize they could hire the same quality of people for less money, they will.

You've heard the fashion sayings like, "Blue is the new black this season!" right? Well, a Masters degree is the new "college degree". And it better be a specialized degree for the field you're aiming for.

So, should you go through 4-8 years (the average takes people 5 years these days) of schooling, getting neck high in student loans in order to just be......acceptable and maybe, just maybe find a kick arse gig? In the past, a college degree meant you were heads and shoulders above the average Joe Schmo. Not anymore. You need some extra training, real life experience, a good network of people in your industry (it' who ya know 95% of the time), and selling yourself. Sadly, they don't teach most of this at State U.

Examine these situations:

My cousin has a computer programming degree from a very good school. Took him 3 years to get a 40k a year job he dislikes. Not exactly early retirement money.

My brother in law is a barely literate welder. He makes 80k per year and loves it. In our area, that's great money.

So, it boils down to what is right for YOU. Don't take the route laid out for you by others. Do what YOU feel is right and you can't go wrong. A degree can't hurt your professional life, but don't believe it's the only route to future happiness either. As with most things in life, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Just follow your heart, think it through for awhile, and make a firm decision (no second guessing yourself) and you'll be fine.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Pablo975 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:31 am

Crap. I forgot why I felt compelled to post.

My uncle was a pharmacist. Owned his own place. Did well for a long time. Then, he had to fight RiteAid, CVS, etc, and sold off the business rather than take a huge paycut to work for them.

He's now a trainer at Ballys.

See what his wonderful, expensive education got him? Screwed by the big box corporate stores.

Funny thing is, he's happier now than ever before.

So.......good luck bro......

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:07 am

Pablo975 wrote:Here's my two cents....find what makes you happy. What you are passionate about. Find something you can at least somewhat enjoy.

A degree means A LOT less these days. It's basic supply and demand. The last 40 years or so, everyone has had it drilled into their heads, "If you don't get a degree, you'll never amount to anything!". Problem is, the last decade or two, a LOT more people have had, and taken, the opportunity to go to college....which has flooded the market with degreed people looking for work.

Now, at the same time, jobs have been drying up in our country. Computers replace humans by doing tasks faster, more reliably, and with less bitching/issues than humans. Jobs get outsourced overseas. Companies have downsized.

All this means is there are more people than there are jobs, meaning the competition is greater.....and also means employers are in the drivers seat. Say an employer has a job opening that pays 40k per year. If you have a degree, and every other person applying has one, why should you get the job at all? And what if the guy behind you will do it for 35K? Once companies realize they could hire the same quality of people for less money, they will.

You've heard the fashion sayings like, "Blue is the new black this season!" right? Well, a Masters degree is the new "college degree". And it better be a specialized degree for the field you're aiming for.

So, should you go through 4-8 years (the average takes people 5 years these days) of schooling, getting neck high in student loans in order to just be......acceptable and maybe, just maybe find a kick arse gig? In the past, a college degree meant you were heads and shoulders above the average Joe Schmo. Not anymore. You need some extra training, real life experience, a good network of people in your industry (it' who ya know 95% of the time), and selling yourself. Sadly, they don't teach most of this at State U.

Examine these situations:

My cousin has a computer programming degree from a very good school. Took him 3 years to get a 40k a year job he dislikes. Not exactly early retirement money.

My brother in law is a barely literate welder. He makes 80k per year and loves it. In our area, that's great money.

So, it boils down to what is right for YOU. Don't take the route laid out for you by others. Do what YOU feel is right and you can't go wrong. A degree can't hurt your professional life, but don't believe it's the only route to future happiness either. As with most things in life, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Just follow your heart, think it through for awhile, and make a firm decision (no second guessing yourself) and you'll be fine.

Good post, for the most part. However, using two examples to support your view is not really ideal. Typically, the college degree does give you the better job, it just so happens that it didn't work out for your family members....but still, if at all possible he really should get a degree. I haven't even graduated yet (May) and I've got a great job lined up with IBM. I doubt IBM is hiring many high school grads.

You're right about the Masters degree being the new thing though. I plan to attain my Masters as soon as I get settled in to a job. It's only an extra 32 hours or so, and a good 20-25 hours is complete review. Kind of dumb not attain it really.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk