Being a personal trainer. Anyone have info? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Being a personal trainer. Anyone have info?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Being a personal trainer. Anyone have info?

Postby Baseballer02 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:24 am

Well I'm starting to think that college isn't for me, so more than likely I'll be dropping out. I'm really looking into being certified as a personal trainer. Does anyone know any personal trainers? I'd like to find some information on expected income, time required, and other business aspects involved.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:04 am

don't drop out .. :-t

Tough it out. Its only four years.
Maybe go to one less party a week or something, but you will be much happier once you get that piece of paper.

Don't give up yet. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Pacman » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:19 am

wrveres wrote:don't drop out .. :-t

Tough it out. Its only four years.
Maybe go to one less party a week or something, but you will be much happier once you get that piece of paper.

Don't give up yet. ;-D

Agree 100%, stay in college. And there's NO REASON you can't pursue Personal Trainer certfication AND get your degree. I and a lot of my friends agree that our college years were the best years of our lives, but we didn't REALIZE they were the best until we were done, and out in the "real world". There have been many days I've longed to be back at that wonderful point in my life -- where the biggest pressure facing me was an upcoming exam, or which girl to take out Friday night. ;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:14 am

I completely agree with wrveres and Pacman...hang in there...you'll regret it if you do decide to drop out... :-o
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Being a personal trainer. Anyone have info?

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:46 am

Baseballer02 wrote:Well I'm starting to think that college isn't for me, so more than likely I'll be dropping out. I'm really looking into being certified as a personal trainer. Does anyone know any personal trainers? I'd like to find some information on expected income, time required, and other business aspects involved.

I actually have one and she says all the time how tough it is to stay in business. Here income can vary from 15,000-40,000 depending on her market demographics. Don't expect to make much in the first 3 years.

I say if you want to do that then go for it. Most people that are successful business owners are risk takers. You will never until you try!
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cannonarm21 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:11 am

As mentioned before, try and rethink your decision. There are very few jobs these days where you can live comfortably without some kind a degree, even if it is from a 2 year or a tech school.

I was a personal trainer for 3 years and got burnt out, fast. I was making about $28,000 a year and was working about 55-60 hours a week including ALL weekends.
Being a personal trainer is a short term job in my opinion. not something you want to make as your career.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Irish » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:35 pm

I just graduated from College. I thought it was essentially worthless education wise (I could of just got a library card and read books), but the degree is invaluable and vital to getting to the level we should all strive for. Plus, as has been mentioned, the responsibility is minimal and the fun is high.

Keep in mind you might become a personal trainer and hate that too. Working out by yourself and training someone are obviously very different. You don't want to end up being a 35 year old personal trainer. Billy Blanks and that crazy guy with the ponytail already got that covered.
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BigMusky » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:12 pm

Just to let you know, there are alot of jobs that require a college degree now, even if you dont use it. I have friends that majored in completely useless fields like History and Media Studies, but just having a degree opens alot of doors for them. You will probably end up as a constructions worker or truck driver if you dont get one, unless you have a family member that throws you a break.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Baseballer02 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:29 pm

It's just between going to class in the morning, studying, working full time, keeping the house clean, spending time with the girlfriend, making money playing poker, etc, I'm always physically and emotionally drained. I realize how important a college degree is, but i just don't have the energy to pursue it. I stayed up late thinking about things last night and here's a few things I came up with

1)I am currentyly a shift manager at a fast food restaurant. I really enjoy working in the restaurant/retail/customer service industry. I have been looking at Asst. management positions for restaurants in my area. The pay for some of these restaurants seems decent and some offer nice benefits, but I'm not sure about the job security in the field.

2) Become certified as a personal trainer and attempt to build a good size client base.

3)Obtain an associate's degree. THis of course is not as good as a bacelor's but would still leave my window of oppurtinty wide open for a nice career.

I could possibly even do choice 1 while doing choice 2. Anyone have any experiences with an associate's degree?
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby ironman » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:58 pm

BigMusky wrote:Just to let you know, there are alot of jobs that require a college degree now, even if you dont use it. I have friends that majored in completely useless fields like History and Media Studies, but just having a degree opens alot of doors for them. You will probably end up as a constructions worker or truck driver if you dont get one, unless you have a family member that throws you a break.

Thanks for not saying Geography. ;-)
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Next

Return to General Talk