Manny or Tejada? Who's better in 5x5 league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny or Tejada? Who's better in 5x5 league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby gtabaplayr1 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:36 pm

[quote="bselig"]Manny... .276 is not an acceptable batting average for a first round pick. Based on hindsight, of course, Tejada would have been the better pick last season[/quote]

Manny batted .308 even with a very poor second half average. The year before that was .325 and before that it was .349. The guy is one of the best hitters in the game.

That said I'd still take Tejada basically because of position scarcity and it makes the rest of your draft that much easier.
gtabaplayr1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokey » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:42 pm

I have Tejada ranked one spot ahead of Manny in my rankings:

Pujols
Guerrero
Beltran
A-Rod
Abreu
Tejada
Manny
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:53 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:real close,,,, if it is a 12 team or less i would take manny due to the fact that i can find a good SS for my team in 12 or less.... if it is more than 12 teamer than i grab tejada, as i am not as confident in the 14+ rated shortstops on my list..........

Yep, the number of teams does matter here :-)

Keep Nomar and in mind if you've like to take Manny yet still have a slugging SS on your team.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Woolly » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:35 pm

TEJADA!!!!
Woolly
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:37 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:real close,,,, if it is a 12 team or less i would take manny due to the fact that i can find a good SS for my team in 12 or less.... if it is more than 12 teamer than i grab tejada, as i am not as confident in the 14+ rated shortstops on my list..........

Agreed. You Tejada supporters should check out his '03 stats. :-?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:54 pm

slomo007 wrote:

And when you're done with that check out his '02 stats...
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:58 pm

Amazinz wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

And when you're done with that check out his '02 stats...

Why take the chance that he's going to repeat 02 or 04 as opposed to 03 when he's going for a price that values him at 04 level? Sounds to me like buying high.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:30 pm

Let's ignore '02 and '04 and concentrate on '03? That sounds like you're just looking for a reason to dislike him. :-)

I don't think expecting him to repeat his '02/'04 numbers is taking a chance. I haven't heard any compelling arguments that suggest Tejada is going to revert.

As far as paying full-price for him, isn't that what you are doing with every first round pick? It's not like you can get him any cheaper because he'll be gone in the first round.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:53 pm

Amazinz wrote:Let's ignore '02 and '04 and concentrate on '03? That sounds like you're just looking for a reason to dislike him. :-)

I don't think expecting him to repeat his '02/'04 numbers is taking a chance. I haven't heard any compelling arguments that suggest Tejada is going to revert.

As far as paying full-price for him, isn't that what you are doing with every first round pick? It's not like you can get him any cheaper because he'll be gone in the first round.

Not necessarily, Soriano is going at a bargain in the late first round if you think he can revert (I think he will). I'm not saying Tejada will revert back to 03, what I am saying is that I would rather let someone else take that chance. Especially when we're talking about a 5th pick.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers