vlad vs. beltran - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

vlad vs. beltran

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

vlad vs. beltran

Postby bob123 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:10 am

i chose beltran over guerrero with the third pick in my draft today. head-to-head yahoo league with 10 teams, offensive categories are average, runs, walks, steals, total bases, home runs, and rbis.

i did it mainly for the steals, but then when i was able to snag crawford in the late second round i started to doubt myself a little. beltran does get more walks and steals, but guerrero will hit for a much higher average and has slightly better power (hr, rbis, total bases).

what do you guys think?
bob123
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kelly Gruber » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:17 am

I agree, but you didn't know you were getting Crawford later, right. Why don't you trade Crawford, who is really hyped up right now, for a decent power hitter. I'd suggest trading for Nomar if you can before he starts tearing it up for the Cubs, although it may be too late now, as people are excited by his ST stats.
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bob123 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:22 am

unfortunately i have a no nomar policy in place for a couple of years because he burned me last year, heh. i have carlos guillen at shortstop anyway; i'm optimistic and i think he should give me similar production to nomar.

interesting idea about trading crawford ... my team is stacked in terms of steals; in addition to beltran and crawford, i also have patterson (30), wilkerson (10-15), wright (15-20, marcus giles (20-25), and some other guys that might swipe a few. i might look into trading crawford ... it'd have to be for a bopper, though; crawford is arguably the best option in baseball this year for steals.
bob123
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jkpigskin » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:28 am

beltran is very patient at the plate.. so he will help u with walks... if beltran can go back to his .300 ways and keep his other stats near where they were last year.. then he will be awesome... though i think vlad is the safer pick

best keeper team ever!
jkpigskin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:46 am

Im not trying to be mean, but it was foolish to pass Vlad once Pujols was off the board. Vlad hits in the high .330s, and will hit more HR, RBI, and probably more R. And its not like 15-20 steals is shabby either. Beltran may get you to .300, but .290 range is more likely.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby agchris02 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:39 pm

i completely agree, unless youre just afraid vlad will get hurt, he's the much better pick, i almost jumped out of my seat, picking 4, when the draft went arod, pujols, beltran and vlad fell to me, he'll get you a higher avg, more runs, more rbis, most likely comparable walks, and still get you a few steals
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:42 pm

In that setup there is no way I wouldn't take Vlad if he fell to me at No. 3. There is no way I would take Beltran over Vlad anyway, but especially not with added emphasis on power (TB) for your league.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:43 pm

vlad would have been the easy choice to me over beltran... beltrans 25 extra steals does not make up that 45 plus batting average along with the extra hrs and rbis as well.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:30 pm

Give me Beltran over Vlad.

Also, bob123, sounds like you have a pretty decent team - the guy I would try and move is Patterson - not Crawford. Stick with Guillen too.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:37 pm

Yeah I'd definately trade one of your SB guys. Trading Crawford wouldn't hurt your team in any area but SB's which you are already strong in. Crawford isn't the best for drawing walks and getting total bases. So if you need pitching, you can go and get some. But don't trade just for the sake of trading - make sure you get a fair deal. Patterson might also have to go. I don't really like him because his BA isn't showing signs of improving and eventually Chicago HAS to move him far away from the top of the order. But of course it depends what you can get for him. It might be best to keep him because he gives you more of a shot at winning SB's every week, which if you trade Cawford you might need.
Last edited by LBJackal on Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers