Top Notch Keeper Aces? Still? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Notch Keeper Aces? Still?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top Notch Keeper Aces? Still?

Postby MadHatter » Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:34 pm

What do you guys think of Roger Clemens and Tom Glavine for this season. Glavine in New York and Clemens possible in Texas or back in Boston. Are these guys still worth holding onto over a guy like Cliff Floyd?
MadHatter

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jay » Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:29 pm

I'd say it depends on the rest of your team. If I ranked tehm it would be like this:
1. Clemens
2. Glavine
3. Floyd
But thats only if you are even offensively and pitching-wise. Clemens' ERA will rise this year, but he isnt going to Texas and he will finish his career with a contender. He's a sure thing for Wins and Ks. Glavine is on a last place team which hasn't sniffed a good outfielder sice daryl starwberry. Their infield is the 1995 all-star team (not a compliment) and Mike Piazza is nnot exactly a pitcher's catcher. Floyd has two pluses. He's the youngest and he'llwind his way on a good team.
Hope that helps. ;-D
Zack Greinke...the next Greg Maddux. LOOK IT UP!
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

yes...

Postby MadHatter » Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:33 pm

I'm in a 15 team league that deep. Pitching is always hard to predict, and I've gone with these two for the three years. I guess I'm just wondering when they'll run out of steam. The rest of my starting pitchers are very uninspiring - with Sabathia and Rafael Soriano (believe it or not) being the only other bright spots.
MadHatter
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Arlo » Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:53 pm

In that case yes, both Clemens and Glavine would be worth keeping over Floyd (as jay said). Do they have some question marks? Sure, but the potential rewards for both are high. At the very least, both should give you a bit better trade value than Floyd, if you feel that the risks are too great to pin your pitching hopes on.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Question Marks?

Postby MadHatter » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:28 pm

I can keep 10, but want to go with less if possible to get better position in the draft. My first 6 are no-brainers. If I do Glavine and Clemens I'm at 8 and that would be fine. Then there's Jason Lane, Rafael Soriano, Marcus Giles... all draftable.
MadHatter
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Arlo » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:42 pm

Of Lane, Soriano and Giles, Lane probably has the highest upside, both short-term and long.

Obviously, wait to see where Clemens goes before making a decision, but both he and Glavine seem like great keepers at numbers 7 and 8 with 15 teams in the league. One note on Glavine, though: with Ordonez leaving and Norihiro Nakamura possibly coming over to play 3b, the Mets' infield defense may become a bit of a weakness rather than a strength. this shouldn't impact Glavine all that much, but it's worth keeping in mind...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers