Punting Holds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punting Holds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Punting Holds

Postby bboy » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:13 pm

I'm in a H2H league with 12 scoring categories (OPS and HLDS) being the extra 2 on top of the norm. There are 2SP, 2RP amd 2P on the pitching roster. I have Graves and Reviera so saves are OK.

Would anyone consider punting HLDS in this position to strengthen SP (currently Zito, Carpenter, Weaver, and Garcia) and a pretty crappy OF ?
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:30 pm

Assuming that everyone on the waiver wire is then crappier than the players you currently have, how is punting that category going to strengthen them?
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Punting Holds

Postby jjigglers » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:27 pm

bboy wrote:I have Graves and Reviera so saves are OK.

i disagree. but to your original post, i think going for holds is valuable for the simple fact that the guys that get holds do get vulture saves/wins and usually good ratios. in H2H yes, you can punt a category and be fine, so if its that bad, do it.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:38 pm

I dont think your saves guys are safe. Plus, the good holds guys almost always have great rats and K/9s. So they help in multiple cats.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby brandnew » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:45 pm

Honestly that wouldn't be very smart, as decent hold guys are relatively easy to find, and help you in a bunch of categories.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LBJackal » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:58 pm

Holds are a bad category to punt. Most people under-value them. I'd target the big guns for MR's like Otsuka or Gordon, and to go along with one of those 2 somebody like Mike Gonzalez or LaTroy Hawkins. But it sounds like it's too late for that. I'd grab Zito if he's all that's left. Last year his mechanic were off and he says he's got it all "under control" so to speak. I'll believe it when I see it but at least it's not a mystery as to why he had a horrible year. He said Mulder sucked for the same reason - lack of confidence that led to bad mechanics.

BTW is this for the H2H World Series? If it is, I had my draft Friday night and got Otsuka and Hawkins - Otsuka 81st overall and Hawkins 145th. I also got Gagne and Lidge (16th and 48th). With only 4 spots where RP's can go, I should usually win SV, HLD, ERA, and WHIP with wins in K's when my 4 RP's have big weeks. But that's my strategy; I found that RP's were lasting too long but I wanted the best ones so I paid for them.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby brandnew » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:08 am

Gonzalez and Hawkins are great picks because they'll get you both holds and saves.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bboy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:24 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:I dont think your saves guys are safe. Plus, the good holds guys almost always have great rats and K/9s. So they help in multiple cats.

Reveira and Graves have to be pretty safe surely?
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bboy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:29 am

LBJackal wrote:BTW is this for the H2H World Series? If it is, I had my draft Friday night and got Otsuka and Hawkins - Otsuka 81st overall and Hawkins 145th. I also got Gagne and Lidge (16th and 48th). With only 4 spots where RP's can go, I should usually win SV, HLD, ERA, and WHIP with wins in K's when my 4 RP's have big weeks. But that's my strategy; I found that RP's were lasting too long but I wanted the best ones so I paid for them.

Yep it is H2H world series. I couldn't make the draft so didn't want to rank the MRs too high at the expense of quality position players but ended up ranking SPs too low as well.

Ya get what ya get when you don't make the draft I suppose :-D
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers