The incredible shrinking man! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The incredible shrinking man!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Iconoclastic » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:00 am

Many guys, like Soriano, don't need to be heavy to hit for power either.
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:43 am

LBJackal wrote:Why is being fat a good thing? All else equal his owners should be happy he lost weight. The reason that he lost weight should worry them though.

I agree. A friend of mine was talking to me about this recently. SS's used to be really light hitters while the C's were big guys that could hit for power. Nowadays, more SS's are power guys and C's are smaller. Catchers aren't big lunks like they used to be. Tony Pena comes to mind as a nimble little guy who caught and did pretty well. Santiago wasn't very big either until you-know-what started on him (not just old age if you get my drift ;-) ).

I think it's great that he's losing weight. It will help him with his defense, and I doubt it will affect power that much. If you know how to hit the ball right and have good snap off the bat (a'la Nomar), you don't need to hit with a super swing like Sheffield does. I think Rodriguez has that type of ability. ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:57 pm

Last year, Rodriguez clearly had a great year at the plate, but his defense wasn't up to par with his usual self and he did wear down quite a bit in the second half. I think some change in conditioning was probably in order. Keep in mind, Pudge is only 5' 9" and I hear that's being generous. Being up over 210 lbs for a guy his height isn't exactly ideal.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Woolly » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:08 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Does this absolutely worry anyone else? Is I Rod going to be able to play a whole season at this weight? Esecially catcher? Honestly, losing roughly 30 lbs has to affect how he's going to play and his endurance. Pudge needs to rediscover Burger King, and fast.

There is NO WAY I would own Pudge this year unless he was sitting there in the 13th round of a 10 team draft. Most leagues have plenty of people to take him way before that point, so I don't have to worry about him.
Woolly
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RC » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:14 pm

One of my fellow managers last year had the choice between trading for I-Rod and Javy Lopez after the All-Star break.

He chose Javy because he found that Pudge's numbers generally went down in the second half, whereas Javy's slightly improved.

Thought that would be useful when considering his durability in past years.

Less weight could be a better thing. He's never been huge in the power categories, so it could be a great thing that he's lost a few pounds.

Now Pujols coming to camp slimmed down, that would be something I could be concerned about.

RC
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby moochman » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:18 pm

Being a loser, I've actually listened to a few Tiger ST games and not-so-Pudge has still had trouble with passed balls. Also heard one of the broadcasters talking about how much upperbody muscle is missing this Spring, and that Pudge isn't at approachable. Seems depressed. Both earmarks of person's who've cut out on a certain supplement.

One has to wonder if the change in his workout regime will keep him healthy all season.

On the bright side he is hitting .340 this ST.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Strasil42 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:19 pm

RC wrote:One of my fellow managers last year had the choice between trading for I-Rod and Javy Lopez after the All-Star break.

He chose Javy because he found that Pudge's numbers generally went down in the second half, whereas Javy's slightly improved.

Thought that would be useful when considering his durability in past years.

Less weight could be a better thing. He's never been huge in the power categories, so it could be a great thing that he's lost a few pounds.

Now Pujols coming to camp slimmed down, that would be something I could be concerned about.

RC

link?? and i thought he was just hitting the tar outta the ball? Like 6 homers and no strikeouts in like 44 at bats.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:48 pm

I actually don't understand the Pujols comment, is it a joke? Pujols has never been really muscular, he has one of the best right-handed swings in baseball. There's a reason no one accuses him of taking steroids, he's not a muscular guy.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby blackbearabroad » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:49 pm

I think it was a joke
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RugbyD » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:41 pm

it reads weird, but its saying if pujols came to camp slimmed down....yadayadayada. the 'if' isn't there, but its implied.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers