OLIVER PEREZ- CY YOUNG YEAR?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

OLIVER PEREZ- CY YOUNG YEAR??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:57 am

The_Idiot wrote:The real question is not when he will win the Cy Young, but how long until the Bucs lose him to the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, or Mets?

It is tough being a Pirate fan.

Someone on another message board suggested 2008...apparently this is when his arbitration years are through and he can tap into the market. I can definitely see this happening. :-t

There's no way he takes a major discount when his agent (who I believe is Boras) can get him thirty times more anywhere else that would be a contending team. I would think the only way he would consider staying is if the Pirates become a bona fide threat to win the Central in the next three years. :*)

The Pirates management will not commit to giving big time contracts after all the mistakes they made in the past with them. The fact that a "big time" contract for us is about 5 million bucks doesn't help either. I would think Benson is considered a middle of the road pitcher, and he makes 7 million a year. The fact that we're paying Perez $381,000 is not conducive to keeping him at all.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brandnew » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:09 am

The freakin' Mets screwed EVERYONE over by signing Benson at 7 Mil. Now mediocre/crappy pitchers like Milton make 8-9 Million. Ridiculous...

I think Ollie Perez could get around 14 Mil. on the market. Depends on how he does in the coming years.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:15 am

brandnew wrote:I think Ollie Perez could get around 14 Mil. on the market. Depends on how he does in the coming years.

Exactly why I edited my post to say he could get 30 times more than he makes now (381K X 30 = 11,430,000). ;-)

Santana got 10 mil a year, and he's got a similar situation as Perez but has shown even more than Ollie has. At least the Twins were smart enough to lock him up because if he stays as good as he did last year, it will be great for them. Of course, if he blows up it'll be a big-time blunder, but at least they know what they need to do to stay competitive in their division.

The future of the Pirates needs to be in Perez, Jack Wilson, and Bay...I'm hoping their years weren't concurrent flukes. With the way the Pirates are hitting in ST (which I know means nothing), I am somewhat excited to see them start playing some real games.

Of course, they are 11-13 in those games but somehow have hit the most HR's of the NL teams. Classic! :,-(

(BTW...Wigginton is absolutely ON FIRE right now...keep him on the sleeper 3B radar. ;-D )
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:19 am

Mercer, you think Kip Wells can put it together? I remember last year people were riding his nuts in Spring Training, and he was terrible...

Duke and Perez should be a nice combo... isn't Santana still in Arby years? That's why he was so cheap? Would Perez give a discount to his team? He seems like the type of guy who would go to a mid-level contending team, like the Cubs, Giants, Padres, etc.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:30 am

brandnew wrote:Mercer, you think Kip Wells can put it together? I remember last year people were riding his nuts in Spring Training, and he was terrible...

Duke and Perez should be a nice combo... isn't Santana still in Arby years? That's why he was so cheap? Would Perez give a discount to his team? He seems like the type of guy who would go to a mid-level contending team, like the Cubs, Giants, Padres, etc.

I don't know what to think of Kip. He has a pretty good fastball and a wicked Sheets-like curve that he can get strikes and K's with a lot of the time. The biggest deal with him last year was the blisters. I hope those don't pop up again. Another thing he has problems with is throwing too many pitches. He tries to get K's, and that gets him into a lot of full counts. By the 6th inning, he's thrown 100 pitches, and Lloyd gets scared to leave people in after that because one mistake normally loses them the lead (if they have it). He had a ton of great pitching performances over the last few years, but many times he got ND's because the score was 1-1, 2-2, or 3-3 by the time he left.

As with all Pirates pitchers, the drawback is not the pitchers themselves...it's the dang offense that can't score! Another thing I routinely see is the Pirates scoring runs and then giving them right back the next inning either through errors or pitching. It seems as though the team gets complacent...thinking that they finally did their job and that the pitcher will get them through the rest of the game. Well, even with good teams that doesn't happen.

With Boras as Perez's agent, I doubt he will do the hometown discount as I stated before. He knows he's good, and if he's not playing for a winner he knows that there are plenty of winning teams with cash that would love to have him.

I haven't seen Duke, but I know he's very good. He's posted a 3.11 ERA in A and a 1.39 and 1.58 ERA in AA (8-o). He also outpitched D. Williams and Vogelsong this spring by a mile, but I knew from the very beginning that they wouldn't bring him up. The other guys are out of options, and Duke could still go to AAA and get more "seasoning." I have no doubt he'll be up once if not twice this year either because of injury or September call-ups. If they keep up their current track, Perez and Duke would be an awesome combo for the Pirates to have...but keeping them here once they become stars is going to be really hard.
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:53 am

brandnew wrote:Mercer, you think Kip Wells can put it together? I remember last year people were riding his nuts in Spring Training, and he was terrible...

Well Mercer already said it but when Kip doesn't have blister problems he is usually a very good pitcher.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers