Minor League Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Minor League Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minor League Draft

Postby jay » Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:01 pm

(Copied from my other post to put in its own topic)
In our league we have this thing called a minor league draft in which we pick guys under 24 who havent had too much MLB experience. For example we don't pick guys like Mark Prior, Josh Beckett, Brett Myers, and Carlos Pena. They would have been picked a few years ago.
The top choices this year are likely Mark teixiera, Rocco Baldelli, Joe Mauer, Jose Reyes, and Brandon Phillips.
Anyone else know some can't miss prospects. As many as you can list would be great.
The draft is tomorrow so any posts today or tonight would be greatly appreciated. ;-D
Zack Greinke...the next Greg Maddux. LOOK IT UP!
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:41 pm

The guys you mentioned are all excellent choices. Also, you might want to check out our minor league rankings. They're from last season, so guys like Prior and Myers are still included, but it might point you to a name or two that you haven't considered yet.

Anyway, let's see...

For long-term impact, I really like Jose Lopez. Lopez isn't even 20 yet, and led San Bernardino (A) in average and steals. His 8 hr should increase. He won't make a fantasy impact any time soon, though.

I'm also pretty high on Choo Freeman, although the Rockies' of situation is pretty murky (and will continue to be).

Jesse Foppert is another player to consider. In terms of potential, he's probably even higher than the Giants' other young arms, including Boof Bonser. Foppert might have a chance to reach the majors this year, but that's not certain. Still, if I had to pick one minor league pitcher for a keeper team today, he might just be it.

Would Franklyn German be eligible, or has he played too many games in the majors? Saves never hurt, and he might be Detroit's closer this season.

Wilson Betemit could have an impact this year, depending on what happens in the winter meetings.

Hee Seop Choi could also be solid if he gets the playing time.

I haven't given up on Brandon Larson yet, even though he's not getting the press he did a while ago.

Chin-Feng Chen? Lyle Overbay? Overbay probably has more potential, but Chen seems to be in a better situation...

And don't forget Josh Hamilton. The talent is still there...

Hope this helps for starters!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Brokentusks9 » Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:51 pm

I don't know if these guys count for your league, but I'll list the young guys I know of...

Orlando Hudson, 2b

Marlon Bryd, of

Joey Thurston, 2b

You mentioned Brandon Phillips, 2nd/SS?...I heard he'd be the one to move to short if/when Vizquel leaves. Food for thought...

Joe Borchard, of

Franklyn German, p

Cliff Lee, p (I'm banking on the fact that I'll get him dirt cheap and he'll spot me a few wins like Danys Baez did last year)
Brokentusks9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:53 pm

Good ones, Brokentusks9!

That's the trouble with minor leaguers: so many good prospects, but you just can't grab them all...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

thanks

Postby jay » Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:18 pm

good stuff guys. i'll remember that for tomorrow.
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

update

Postby jay » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:58 pm

These were my results:

Baldelli
Betemit
Mauer
A. Gonzalez
Henson
Nady
Hawpe
Restovich
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:48 pm

Looks excellent. Solid all the way through, with a great risk/reward ratio. I particularly like Mauer with your third pick - could be a huge bargain down the road. ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers