Louisville in... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Louisville in...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby joshyboy72 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:41 am

You'd think we have enough threads on college hoops by now.... 8-o
joshyboy72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 621
Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:42 am

BigMusky wrote:Get ready to get spanked by the Illini.


They were pretty clutch against Arizona tonight, but they're gonna have to go on a cold streak sometime.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 783
Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Souptown

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:28 am

OK I don't know where else to ask this so: Why do people refer to the Cardinals as "Loo-uh-vull"?? Every time I hear "Louisville" on TV or from people when not talking about basketball, it's pronounced "Loo-ee-vill". But with the Cards, it's like we're all southerners all of a sudden and have to say "Loo-uh-vull". Am I the only one who notices this?
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby JTWood » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:47 am

LBJackal wrote:OK I don't know where else to ask this so: Why do people refer to the Cardinals as "Loo-uh-vull"?? Every time I hear "Louisville" on TV or from people when not talking about basketball, it's pronounced "Loo-ee-vill". But with the Cards, it's like we're all southerners all of a sudden and have to say "Loo-uh-vull". Am I the only one who notices this?

People from Louisville pronounce it with a drawl. The announcers are catering to the home fans when they say it like that.

It's like here in Missouri at re-election time. All of the sudden, anyone up for election stops pronouncing it Missouri (with a long e sound) and starts pronouncing it Missoura (with a short a sound).

Stupid colloquialisms... :-b
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby logan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:21 am

LBJackal wrote:OK I don't know where else to ask this so: Why do people refer to the Cardinals as "Loo-uh-vull"?? Every time I hear "Louisville" on TV or from people when not talking about basketball, it's pronounced "Loo-ee-vill". But with the Cards, it's like we're all southerners all of a sudden and have to say "Loo-uh-vull". Am I the only one who notices this?


pretty much like jt said. take it from me thats where i was born. its pronounced loo-uh-vull by everyone. i hate when people say louie-ville. i immediatley have to correct them. as for them being in i knew it was just a matter of time till pitino got the team back to prominence. (although that wvu game was real intense and a lot of fum to watch ;-D ). ill be cheering my ass of for them against illinois. i think illinois are ripe for an upset (even though i dont really see it as an upset). should be a great game.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2810
Joined: 4 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: newark,delaware

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:18 pm

LBJackal wrote:OK I don't know where else to ask this so: Why do people refer to the Cardinals as "Loo-uh-vull"?? Every time I hear "Louisville" on TV or from people when not talking about basketball, it's pronounced "Loo-ee-vill". But with the Cards, it's like we're all southerners all of a sudden and have to say "Loo-uh-vull". Am I the only one who notices this?


LOL, no you're not. :-D Like the others said, it's a regional thing I think. Most people from Louisville (and pretty much everyone else around here) pronounces is Loo-uh-ville, or sometimes just Loo-ville if your a real red-neck. :-D I pronounce it Loo-ee-ville though, just becuase I'm not red-necky like that. ;-D
Image
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 6480
Joined: 6 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Swiping second

Postby logan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:09 pm

well considering we are the natives of said city our pronuciation is correct ;-) ;-) :-D
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2810
Joined: 4 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: newark,delaware

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:01 pm

logan wrote:well considering we are the natives of said city our pronuciation is correct ;-) ;-) :-D


Well that's because you have an accent. It doesn't mean we all have to use the same accent or else nobody in North America, save Quebec, could pronounce a single European city correctly. Plus, we'd all have to start calling New York "New Yawk" if the hometown accent is the one to be used. And "South House-tun"? C'mon, we all know it's pronounced "Hughes-tun". SoHo is easier I guess :-D

To me, its Loo-ee-ville. I swing a Loo-ee-ville Slugger ;-)
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:04 pm

LBJackal wrote:
logan wrote:well considering we are the natives of said city our pronuciation is correct ;-) ;-) :-D


Well that's because you have an accent. It doesn't mean we all have to use the same accent or else nobody in North America, save Quebec, could pronounce a single European city correctly. Plus, we'd all have to start calling New York "New Yawk" if the hometown accent is the one to be used. And "South House-tun"? C'mon, we all know it's pronounced "Hughes-tun". SoHo is easier I guess :-D

To me, its Loo-ee-ville. I swing a Loo-ee-ville Slugger ;-)

Yes, but I'll be damned if I live in Saint Loo-ee... That's a fine nickname, but no way is that how I pronounce it formally.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby BigMusky » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:07 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
LBJackal wrote:
logan wrote:well considering we are the natives of said city our pronuciation is correct ;-) ;-) :-D


Well that's because you have an accent. It doesn't mean we all have to use the same accent or else nobody in North America, save Quebec, could pronounce a single European city correctly. Plus, we'd all have to start calling New York "New Yawk" if the hometown accent is the one to be used. And "South House-tun"? C'mon, we all know it's pronounced "Hughes-tun". SoHo is easier I guess :-D

To me, its Loo-ee-ville. I swing a Loo-ee-ville Slugger ;-)

Yes, but I'll be damned if I live in Saint Loo-ee... That's a fine nickname, but no way is that how I pronounce it formally.



yeah it is you pooy st louy fruity tootie cardinal fan. :-D
Image
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2780
Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "Milla-walk-ay"

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact