Sheffield <,> or = to last yr - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheffield <,> or = to last yr

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:40 pm

agchris02 wrote:as long as he stays healthy, he's worth a late first round pick, those getting him at the end of the 2nd (me) or anytime in the 3rd are getting great value, he'll be the best yankee behind arod to own

I agree, the owners in my league seemed to shy away from him as well and i was able to get a steal I thought with taking him in the 4th rd, 33rd overall. The one thing I loved about Sheff while here in Atl was the fact that he gave 110% all the time.. hurt or not. The guy can flat out rake and if his shoulder is truly pain free expect no less than last years numbers and possibly quite a bit more.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:55 am

another vote that sheff will equal or better his numbers from last year... 3rd round is a steal
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:48 pm

unclepaulie wrote:Yes, you should take Mags over him :-t

Shef is a BEAST take him in the 2nd and reap the rewards!

at #4 (out of 12 owners/23 rounds) i got sheff (5th round/52nd pick), mags (7th round/76th pick) and vlad (1st round/4th pick) in my outfield...with hafner (11th round/124th pick) or nevin (20th round/237th pick) as my DH....and burnitz (23rd round/268th pick) on my bench...

to go along with
aramis ramirez
pavano
crawford
oliver perez
reyes
estrada
clement
thompson
wells
glavine
inge
castillo
horacio ramirez
graves
vizquel
mesa

life is good...

;-D

and yes sheff will be a beast!
Last edited by Krunk City King$ on Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:53 pm

I had him last year and was pleased w/ the results but have steered clear this year as I've read reports w/ some news that his shoulder is still not 100% (on dial up right now so trawling through Sheff news for links is not really practical...sorry!).

This, plus his surliness about the interest on his deferred payments, suggest to me that the risk is a bit more than I'm interested in spending picks/ $$ on for fantasy purposes as, if he plays w/ his customary level of intensity and throws something out of whack, he's perhaps likely to bail suddenly. If he did slip to the fourth round, I'd get him but that hasn't happen in either of the drafts I've done.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby pedrosanpedro » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:58 pm

A year older, steroids questions = not good
Healthy shoulder Improved #'s from Arod, Jeter and Matsui = good
I'd have to say its a wash, he will produce bout the same as last year, maybe a teensy weensy bit better.

Am I allowed to say "teensy weensy" on a roto forum? :-]
pedrosanpedro
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:59 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I had him last year and was pleased w/ the results but have steered clear this year as I've read reports w/ some news that his shoulder is still not 100% (on dial up right now so trawling through Sheff news for links is not really practical...sorry!).

let a cable internet brother help you out mr. dial up....

Mar. 21, 2005 - 11:27 pm et
Gary Sheffield went 2-for-3 with a double and two RBI tonight. He's battign .382.
Sheffield's shoulder probably isn't 100 percent, but it's better than it was for most of last year and he still finished with MVP-type numbers then. He's ready for Opening Day.

Mar. 15, 2005 - 6:28 pm et
Gary Sheffield started in right field today and went 1-for-3 with a walk.
Sheffield DH'd last night after missing three games with a hip flexor.

Mar. 14, 2005 - 11:48 pm et
Gary Sheffield, back after missing three games with a hip flexor, started at DH tonight and went 1-for-4.
Sheffield was shifted out of right field after it rained prior to the game. He's expected to play in the outfield tomorrow.

Mar. 14, 2005 - 7:27 am et
Gary Sheffield, who is recovering from a hip flexor, is expected to play tonight.
''But if he feels something we will give it another day,'' manager Joe Torre said.
Source: New York Post

Mar. 12, 2005 - 1:51 pm et
Gary Sheffield is out today and won't play tomorrow due a right hip flexor injury.
''It's just precautionary,'' Yankees manager Joe Torre said. ''He'll play Monday.'' Sheffield's shoulder never seemed to hurt him at the plate last season, but nagging injuries have limited his production rather frequently in his career. It's something to think about on draft day.

Mar. 6, 2005 - 9:46 pm et
Gary Sheffield made his spring debut today and went 2-for-3 with two RBI.
Sheffield, who played right field with Jason Giambi DHing, said he experienced no pain in his surgically repaired shoulder. ''I was pretty shocked on a couple of swings I took,'' he said.

Feb. 28, 2005 - 3:24 am et
Upset with the contract he negotiated a year ago, Gary Sheffield reportedly was refusing to participate in spring training team functions until recently placated by Yankees owner George Steinbrenner.
The Yankees may not have known what they were getting into when they signed Jason Giambi. They definitely did when they inked Sheffield. According to the New York Post, Sheffield was demanding he be paid interest on the $4.5 million that is deferred without interest annually from his contract. It looks like he'll get what he wants, as the Yankees correctly figure it's in their best interests to keep him happy. In other Sheffield news, the outfielder has been ruled out of Thursday's spring opener as he recovers from shoulder surgery.

Feb. 27, 2005 - 4:49 am et
Gary Sheffield will be held out of intrasquad games tomorrow and Tuesday as he recovers from offseason shoulder surgery.
He might not play in the exhibition opener. ''Since he went into that thing where he was trying to swing real hard, he's backed off a little bit,'' manager Joe Torre said. ''But he stepped it up today. He smoked a couple of [balls]. We'll just go slow with him.''

Feb. 23, 2005 - 3:29 am et
Gary Sheffield resumed taking batting practice yesterday and indicated that his surgically repaired shoulder felt better.
Sheffield doesn't know if he'll be 100 percent by Opening Day, but that's not a major issue. ''The strength is not there yet,'' he said. ''I don't feel that pain that I felt last year. That's a big difference.''

Feb. 22, 2005 - 3:49 am et
Gary Sheffield felt discomfort in his surgically repaired left shoulder after taking too many swings in batting practice last week.
He's supposed to be better now. ''He is going through the rehab process,'' GM Brian Cashman said. ''The doctor and trainers haven't told me I should be concerned, so I am not. I don't anticipate any problem.''
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:06 pm

Thanks!! I am done drafting though and took Edmonds on both teams for my aging yet still potent OF in the 3rd round, as painful as it was to take Cardinals!! hee hee...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Sheff Salad

Postby Mugwump » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:28 pm

I think Sheff will be reinvigorated and surpass last year's stats, with a slight improvement overall. Bringing back quality chemistry guys like Tino and Nelson will help everyone overall. Plus, I think Giambi will surprise this year and provide some protection in the back end of the line-up. Runs overall will be up for The Yanks.
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GSes » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:09 pm

sheff is a monster.

if you pass on him in the 2nd round your are in idiot :-D

the man provides 1st round stats for a 2nd round price.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:15 pm

GSes wrote:sheff is a monster.

if you pass on him in the 2nd round your are in idiot :-D

the man provides 1st round stats for a 2nd round price.

You mean an idiot.

And you'll eat those words at the end of the season.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers