Auction Drafters Only - bidding strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction Drafters Only - bidding strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Drafters Only - bidding strategy

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:17 am

A strategy sometimes people will use in my drafts is to bring out a player for bid with a high bid - near or even AT their value. I think the purpose of this strategy is to catch bidders off guard and to prevent a bidding war which may cause inflation.

I like this technique in rare occasions where I feel it's a have-to-have guy for my team, although I can't think of a time that I necessarily have done it.

I started thinking about WHEN during the bidding process that this would work best. Almost every player brought out is notoriously brought out at a ridiculously low price for whatever reason, and it almost always takes a while for the bidding to get realistic. Maybe it's more effective to let people look at their sheets, let the slow-climbing bids come, let people think about how low a price they hope they can get this guy, THEN blurt out a near or at value bid. Maybe that would actually be more stunning?

What I'd be afraid of with blurting it out immediately is maybe I catch some people so off guard that they bid without thinking. Or maybe others would just assume that this player MUST be worth more - why would I bid at that player's value?

Anyone use this bidding technique?
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:13 am

Sometimes. I hate it when someone like ARod is brought up at single digits. All it does is make something needlessly long. The only problem of doing what you are talking about is when you don't really want the player and are just trying to drive the price up, you might get stuck with him. I had that happen to me with Larry Walker a couple of years back. The person bidding befoe me brought him up at a dollar, and I jacked the price up to $20 and got stuck.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby issyg67 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:37 pm

Every auction is different. The 10 or 12 guys at your auction are not the same 10 at mine. A strategy that works for you might not work for me. That's what makes auctions great -- they're never boring and you have to think the whole way through, especially when you're down to $7 and have three spots still to fill.

Regarding your question, I think, generally, the more people involved in the bidding then higher the chance the player will be overpaid. Someone might have a limit of $35 for, say, Randy Johnson, but if they're in the bidding in the teens and twenties, they might get sucked in Start the bidding at $30 and maybe someone won't get attached to the player.

I can see this happening, but not often. Make sure that whatever you throw someone out for, you don't care if no one else bids.
issyg67
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:57 pm

I have found that when you start off a bid on a player with something ridiculously low, then more people are likely to bid on them. And when a bidder begins to bid on a player a couple of times, then they are more likely to keep bidding till they get him (since they figure they have already mentally invested a certain amount of money in him, why not go a few bucks more?) The bottom line is if you start a bid on a player at, or close to a reasonable bidding price, say, 40 dollars for Pujols, then you will probably limit the amount of people who engage in bidding.

On the flipside, if you are nominating a player who you don't want, but who you want people to over-bid on, then I would start the nomination off at something grossly cheap.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers