Francona is a moron, Renteria suffers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Francona is a moron, Renteria suffers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Francona is a moron, Renteria suffers

Postby baseballnewb » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:52 am

Shortstop Edgar Renteria will bat second in the Red Sox order on Opening Day against left-hander Randy Johnson, but when they face right-handers he will be batting lower in the lineup—likely fifth or sixth. Manager Terry Francona made the announcement on Friday, saying outfielder Trot Nixon will bat second on most days against right-handed pitching.

Poor management messing with the top five players in your order. This can do nothing but hurt your teams batting chemistry having someone different bat 2nd every day. Bad news for Renteria owners, thankfully I've stayed away from him this season.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Melo255 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:58 am

That's not a stupid move at all. Take a look at the split stats for Renteria and Nixon against righties and lefties. Renteria is just awesome against lefties and struggles mightily against righties. Nixon is just the opposite. He completely crushes the ball against righties but can't hit a thing against lefties. Playing the numbers this is absolutely the right move for Francona to make.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Brendo » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:03 am

and what's so bad about hitting 5th in the red sox lineup????
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bost0n » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:14 am

Brendo wrote:and what's so bad about hitting 5th in the red sox lineup????

Exactly what I was thinking.
cross your fingers for missouri
bost0n
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby agchris02 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:33 am

why not manage around pitching matchups? that doesnt seem stupid at all...in fact itd be dumb NOT too, if i had a player that hit .100 pts higher against lefties, better believe hed be higher in the lineup

Plus, batting 5th in the redsox lineup as opposed to 2nd wont hurt his value THAT much, if at all (ninth, maybe, but still wouldnt be awful, not like batting nine in detroit)
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:45 am

apparently you dont recall that Larussa did the same thing in Stl where Renteria actually batted lower than 5th or 6th on most times when he wasnt in the 2nd spot. I don't think this will hurt his value any moving from 2 to 5th in the order. The problem I've always thought about moving a guy around in the order is it breaks up rythmn. But Renteria always seems to put up solid numbers across the board no matter how they move him around due to pitchers he faces.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Francona is a moron, Renteria suffers

Postby thehat » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:08 am

baseballnewb wrote:
Shortstop Edgar Renteria will bat second in the Red Sox order on Opening Day against left-hander Randy Johnson, but when they face right-handers he will be batting lower in the lineup—likely fifth or sixth. Manager Terry Francona made the announcement on Friday, saying outfielder Trot Nixon will bat second on most days against right-handed pitching.

Poor management messing with the top five players in your order. This can do nothing but hurt your teams batting chemistry having someone different bat 2nd every day. Bad news for Renteria owners, thankfully I've stayed away from him this season.

Yeah, that Francona is a real dope. I don't see how the Red Sox expect to ever win a World Series with a dimwit like him at the helm.

Renteria should be fine wherever he hits in that lineup, but I like the idea of Nixon hitting #2 vs. righties, and Payton hitting perhaps #7 vs. lefties.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:45 am

My thoughts exactly, thehat.

I prefer Bellhorn in the two-hole, but Renteria-Nixon should work.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LBJackal » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:51 am

Yeah Bellhorn should be #2 with Renteria 6th or around there. I don't understand all the hype around him. I've seen him taken in the 2nd or 3rd round a couple times.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blackbearabroad » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:16 pm

the problem with bellhorn in the 2 hole is his high number of strike outs... Because he takes so many pitches its nice to have him up there, but with his willingness to take 2 strike pitches (i think he lead the majors in that last year) results in 2 many K's for a classic 2 hole player
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers