keeper baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

keeper baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

keeper baseball

Postby jay » Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:07 pm

I an 8 team league, with 8 keepers per team(kept unlimited years).
I have the 4th pick in this, our initial draft...
I have felt out the owner before me and I envision the draft going like this:
1. Arod
2. Vlad
3. Soriano
4. Me
I am debating between Albert Pujols and Barry Bonds(who's the reason i got into baseball over a decade ago). I'd love to have Bonds on my team but Pujols' consistancy at such a young age shocks me. Any thoughts? Any other players I should be considering?
Also, what round do you think these guys would go in(or where would you take them):
MArk Prior
Pat Burrell
Adam Dunn
Josh Phelps
Vernon Wells
Joel Piniero
THANKS A LOT FOR ANY RESPONSES! ;-D
jay

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:53 pm

Pujols and Bonds have completely different things going for them. for immediate impact in terms of overall numbers, Bonds is your man. He's 38 though, which is a consideration in keeper leagues - particularly if there's no limit on how long a player can be kept.

Pujols has youth on his side, and he also plays at shallower positions and gives you some flexibility. That might change in the future, though...

It's an awfully tough call, and seems to be more a question of philosophy than player value. If it were my decision, I'd rather have Pujols.

I'd certainly at least consider several other players. Randy Johnson, for instance, would be a sweet pick at #4 if you're looking to win this year. (Check out the first round of our non-keeper mock draft for some others to keep in mind.)

It's hard to gauge what other owners will do, but I think that under this format, Prior will go off the board very early. With his potential, I'd say that's justified, although you can probably draft a Josh Beckett, who has a similar ceiling (blisters aside), much later. Burrell and Dunn also won't last very long, even though Dunn's perceived value went down a bit last year. Phelps shouldn't go very early if he only qualifies at dh (if he's a catcher, that's a different story). Wells also shouldn't be picked too early, since there are many comparable outfielders around. Pineiro is interesting - my sense is that in many drafts, he'll be taken several rounds later than he should...

Hope this helps you plan ahead!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jay » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:43 pm

thanks a lot...
i was leaning toward pujols, too. he got it all going for him.
i completely forgot about beckett (i dont know how, i gues i think of him and burnett as the same person) so thanks for that.
i think i'll try and scare my friends out of picking phelps so early by saying he's gonna qualify at DH only (he's the worst Def C excluded piazza).

In our league we have this thing called a minor league draft in which we pick guys under 24 who havent had too much MLB experience. The number one pick figures to be Mark Teixiera (we call him T-REX), and I've got the number 5 pick...
I want Rocco Baldelli in the first round.
ANy other minor leaguers you guys like?
jay

Postby MikeeDee » Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:01 pm

Jose Reyes is a name that comes to mind. Other obvious ones Brett Myers (unless he has had too much PT for your league). Jesse Foppert is a pitcher I really like, even though Williams and Ainsworth will probably get to the majors first. He has more upside though. I also think Dewon Brazelton is a little overlooked. Joe Thurston seems locked to play 2nd for LA this year. They'd all be possible 1st rounders if it was up to me...
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:35 pm

Good ones, MikeeDee. Certainly no shortage of minor league talent this year. Reyes and Foppert, in particular, could be huge.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Dogs » Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:57 pm

I agree with Arlo Bonds is 38 and how many more years are you going to get from him? Sosa would be a good choice, he is 34. I think the Cubs will have a better year than most think. Dusty Baker will have a huge impact on Sosa ;-D . R. Johnson is another choice to consider, his is 39.
Burrell and Dunn 8-o will probably go early second round. I like Dunn's potential then Burrell's. Prior will go late 3rd or early 4th.
As for wells there is an abundence of outfeilders, I would not go after him until the 7th or 8th the earliest.
Mike
Big Dogs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

draft

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:13 am

I would take RJ or Sosa. Pujols might be my 3rd pick. As far as minor leaguers, Reyes/Foppert/Baldelli all great choices. I would add 2b Brandon Phillips, of Joe Borchard, c Joe Mauer, 1b Hee S eop Choi, of Marlyn Byrd.
HOOTIE

Postby Grenade Teeth » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:06 pm

Since the keepers are unlimited you can't take Bonds over Pujols in the first, but Bonds may be available in the second... there are only 8 picks between your first and second round picks. Pujols will not be available in your second round.

Unless OBP or OPS are a category in your league, Bonds isn't a tremendously special fantasy player. The guy simply walks too much for fantasy baseball, this kills HR and RBI chances and waters down the BA effect. I would put Bonds behind Vlad, Manny, Mags and Sammy in the OF, all 4 SS should probably go before him and probably the big 3 SP and maybe Zito and Oswalt should get some consideration (unlimited keepers, mmmm)

I'm not trying to bash Bonds, I'm just saying he should be there in the 2nd.
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers