Barry, Big Mac, and the Hall - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry, Big Mac, and the Hall

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Barry, Big Mac, and the Hall

Postby blackbearabroad » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:25 pm

This is ridiculous, look I’m not condoning steroids, or their use. But they were part of the game throughout the entire decade of the ‘90s and I realize that many Hall worthy players didn’t juice during that decade, but this shouldn’t really be shocking or news to. What I’d like to know are these people doubting McGwire’s ability (they would have some pretty tough hall standards, and he does match up favorably with a number of recent inductees). That and 50 fifty people who don’t think/aren’t sure that Barry’s hall worthy (not that he’s not a pr**k)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2020890
He began letting Koby Clemens drive the orange Hummer to school after he signed a letter of intent last November to play baseball for the University of Texas, whose colors are burnt orange and white. Before that, Koby drove a black Hummer to school
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:32 pm

They're both Hall of Famers. That survey is an utter joke.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:34 pm

And you know if the poll results had been reversed, everyone would be claiming racism and such. Either both are in the hall or neither are. You cant have one in and the other out.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cmchampa2 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:38 pm

Actually, and I may be in the minority, but I wouldn't think that McGwire is a sure-fire Hall of Famer. He was a one-dimensional player and if Jim Rice can't get in, I can't see how McGwire does. And I was as big a McGwire fan as anyone.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mustangs989 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:41 pm

cmchampa2 wrote:Actually, and I may be in the minority, but I wouldn't think that McGwire is a sure-fire Hall of Famer. He was a one-dimensional player and if Jim Rice can't get in, I can't see how McGwire does. And I was as big a McGwire fan as anyone.

I'd put McGwire in, he may not be a first ballot HOF like Bonds should be but he should still be in IMO. Either way like DK said that survey is a joke :-t
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Jedimindtric » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:42 pm

What I don't understand is why there is so much more disapproval for Mac then Bonds. At least Mac wasn't an outright jerk. It has been said by one of the writers that Mac didn't achieve his status without steroids but what about Bonds? He was a very good line drive hitter with speed turned monster 70 hrs a year. What do you call that? In addition, this whole mess pretty much started with Bonds and Balco so why the heck wasn't Bonds asked to testify in front of Congress? Maybe immunity? Maybe a conspiracy by baseball because Bonds is still a draw? What is it? They will probably both make the hall but after all this but I don't really believe they deserve it. Yes the hall is filled with racists, gamblers, addicts and so on but this is blantant cheating in our face. Now I still like Big Mac, and I have never liked Bonds, but with this aside, I think Bonds should crawl away, leave Hank's record alone, and give us remaining baseball fans something real to hold on to. Also. in my mind, there is no *, Roger Maris holds the single season HR record.
Jedimindtric
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blackbearabroad » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:42 pm

Lets be fair (and this is from a Sox fan) rice is a borderline hall of famer. Scary in his prime but he quickly detereorated around the age of 30. McGwire also quickly fell apart but at the age of 35. Those 5 years make all the difference in the world.

...and compared to some others in the hall, neither of them can be worse then Ty Cobb
Last edited by blackbearabroad on Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:43 pm

Jedimindtric wrote:What I don't understand is why there is so much more disapproval for Mac then Bonds. At least Mac wasn't an outright jerk. It has been said by one of the writers that Mac didn't achieve his status without steroids but what about Bonds? He was a very good line drive hitter with speed turned monster 70 hrs a year. What do you call that? In addition, this whole mess pretty much started with Bonds and Balco so why the heck wasn't Bonds asked to testify in front of Congress? Maybe immunity? Maybe a conspiracy by baseball because Bonds is still a draw? What is it? They will probably both make the hall but after all this but I don't really believe they deserve it. Yes the hall is filled with racists, gamblers, addicts and so on but this is blantant cheating in our face. Now I still like Big Mac, and I have never liked Bonds, but with this aside, I think Bonds should crawl away, leave Hank's record alone, and give us remaining baseball fans something real to hold on to. Also. in my mind, there is no *, Roger Maris holds the single season HR record.

Hate to break it to you, but Maris had an asterik next to is because he hit it in a 162 game season, as compared to Ruth's 150 (?) game season.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:45 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Jedimindtric wrote:What I don't understand is why there is so much more disapproval for Mac then Bonds. At least Mac wasn't an outright jerk. It has been said by one of the writers that Mac didn't achieve his status without steroids but what about Bonds? He was a very good line drive hitter with speed turned monster 70 hrs a year. What do you call that? In addition, this whole mess pretty much started with Bonds and Balco so why the heck wasn't Bonds asked to testify in front of Congress? Maybe immunity? Maybe a conspiracy by baseball because Bonds is still a draw? What is it? They will probably both make the hall but after all this but I don't really believe they deserve it. Yes the hall is filled with racists, gamblers, addicts and so on but this is blantant cheating in our face. Now I still like Big Mac, and I have never liked Bonds, but with this aside, I think Bonds should crawl away, leave Hank's record alone, and give us remaining baseball fans something real to hold on to. Also. in my mind, there is no *, Roger Maris holds the single season HR record.

Hate to break it to you, but Maris had an asterik next to is because he hit it in a 162 game season, as compared to Ruth's 150 (?) game season.
I think it was 154 games, and yeah that's why
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Jedimindtric » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:48 pm

Rice didn't have that magic number of 500 homeruns. That is why he isn't there. I think he was a great player but that is why. I am mad about Dale Murphy not being in the Hall. He had the most hits, runs, and Rbi's in the 1980's and second most homeruns, as well as back to back MVP's on a team with nothing else. (Don't even say Horner) But his bottom line keeps him out only 398 career HRs and a career average in the 260s.
Jedimindtric
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers