Hideki Matsui......Hittin cleanup? MVP candidate? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hideki Matsui......Hittin cleanup? MVP candidate?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Frances The Mute » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:11 pm

Matsui batted cleanup in 23 games last year (87 ab). In those 87 ab he hit:

-18 runs
-6 hr
-17 rbi
-.345 avg 8-o
-.436 OBP 8-o
-.621 SLG 8-o
-.1.06 OPS B-)

Extrapolating those 87 at bats into 584 ab looks like this:

-121 runs
-40 hr
-114 rbi
-.345 avg 8-o
-.436 OBP 8-o
-.621 SLG 8-o
-.1.06 OPS B-)

Obviously, I would curb my expectations a bit, and maybe i dont know enough about baseball to explain why his avg and stats are so high when batting 4th. But like you know....those are encouraging numbers should he cleanup all year.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 384
Joined: 11 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: SAN FRANCISCO

Postby Tokugawa » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:36 pm

Matsui is going to have a big year. He has a tremendous work ethic and has continued to work hard adapting to the different pitches he sees in the US. A batting average over .300 and HR total of almost 40 is a major possibility.

As far as using the word Jap goes, it is no more racist than referring to a citizen of the US as a Yank or citizen of the UK as a Brit. Whether these words are racist depends on the context in which they are used, which in this case wasn't offensive. I think it's pathetic how over sensitive some of you are, perhaps the usage was careless but by no means racist. Oversensitivity towards race is as much racisim as carelessness, if not more!!!
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 168
Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:45 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:He'll be good, but not MVP good. Vlad plays in the same league as Matsui...

Yeah, so does Manny ;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion
Posts: 7189
Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Golfing

Postby NZF » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:49 pm

lesgrant wrote:
Also, Matsui’s durability is grossly underrated. He’s a great pick because he has a consecutive game playing streak that goes back several seasons in Japan. I’m not sure of the exact numbers but his MLB streak alone puts him among the active MLB leaders.

Does anyone have the grand total (Japan & US)?


Not me but I agree he should be bumped up cheat sheets for his durability.

I believe he is 3rd at the moment behind Tejada and Pierre for consecutive games. In fact he officially played 163 games in 2003 which takes some doing over a 162 game season.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby Conner » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:54 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
lesgrant wrote:
Also, Matsui’s durability is grossly underrated. He’s a great pick because he has a consecutive game playing streak that goes back several seasons in Japan. I’m not sure of the exact numbers but his MLB streak alone puts him among the active MLB leaders.

Does anyone have the grand total (Japan & US)?


Not me but I agree he should be bumped up cheat sheets for his durability.

I believe he is 3rd at the moment behind Tejada and Pierre for consecutive games. In fact he officially played 163 games in 2003 which takes some doing over a 162 game season.


I have no idea who else has long streaks in the majors, but as has been pointed out...if you consider his days in Japan (which there's no reason not to)...I've got to assume he blows everyone else away.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 760
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:04 pm

Tejada is currently well over 700 consecutive. Maybe very close to 800. He's miles ahead of anyone else in the majors.

Pierre is around 350 at the moment. Hideki is at 325 not counting Japan.

From memory, Terrence Long had over 400 during his time in Oakland and A-Rod might have been close to 500 at one point in Texas.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby Conner » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:08 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:Tejada is currently well over 700 consecutive. Maybe very close to 800. He's miles ahead of anyone else in the majors.


Wow...I knew he was first by a good amount, but I had no idea it was by that much...



Counting Japan, Matsui is well over 1,000, though....


Either way...When you get that high, it doesn't really matter. Both should be considered extremely durable....Nice to have in a head-to-head league, for sure.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 760
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby justinA » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:19 pm

Oh no he said jap, crucify him. Let me guess, jew is going to be derogatory next because it is short for Jewish person. Riiiiight.

And yes, Matsui will be solid, so he's got a good chance to be in the top 3 of the MVP voting.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1013
Joined: 9 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Conner » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:32 pm

justinA wrote:Oh no he said jap, crucify him. Let me guess, jew is going to be derogatory next because it is short for Jewish person. Riiiiight.


Can't we just drop it?






He didn't mean it to be derogatory.....That's all that matters.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 760
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Conner » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:01 pm

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3494828

Asked to name the teammate that is impressing him most this spring, Yankees RHP Mike Mussina selects LF Hideki Matsui.

"He looks better and better every month he plays," Mussina says. "Last year, he looked much better. And so far this year, he looks really good."
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 760
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fast dogs, threelions and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact