Hideki Matsui......Hittin cleanup? MVP candidate? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hideki Matsui......Hittin cleanup? MVP candidate?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hideki Matsui......Hittin cleanup? MVP candidate?

Postby Frances The Mute » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:14 am

Godzilla should be batting cleanup cause hes so sick, but from what I've read lately Giambi might hit 4th leaving Matsui in the 6, 7, or 8 hole.

Assuming he eventualy lands the cleanup spot, plays everygame like he always does healthy, how much better can this dude get? Huge leap from his first to second year, powers obviously there and he's proven he can hit MLB pitchers the second time around. Why can't he inch further towards his Japanese league totals of 2002? He's still not old, and oh yea hes in a contract year too.

[/i]
Last edited by Frances The Mute on Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hideki Matsui......Hittin cleanup? MVP candidate?

Postby jpbusta » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:19 am

Frances The Mute wrote:Godzilla should be batting cleanup cause hes so sick, but from what I've read lately Giambi might hit 4th leaving Matsui in the 6, 7, or 8 hole.

Assuming he eventualy lands the cleanup spot, plays everygame like he always does healthy, how much better can this Jap get? Huge leap from his first to second year, powers obviously there and he's proven he can hit MLB pitchers the second time around. Why can't he inch further towards his Jap league totals of 2002? He's still not old, and oh yea hes in a contract year too.

[/i]

Please edit this word ASAP. I'm not japanese but that word shouldn't be used at all right here. :-t
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:48 am

Frances The Mute wrote:Godzilla should be batting cleanup cause hes so sick, but from what I've read lately Giambi might hit 4th leaving Matsui in the 6, 7, or 8 hole.

Assuming he eventualy lands the cleanup spot, plays everygame like he always does healthy, how much better can this Jap get? Huge leap from his first to second year, powers obviously there and he's proven he can hit MLB pitchers the second time around. Why can't he inch further towards his Jap league totals of 2002? He's still not old, and oh yea hes in a contract year too.

[/i]

Use of the word is uncalled for :-t
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bselig » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:13 am

not sure what you guys have against abbreviations, the word jap is fine; I have no idea if Matsui can match his power numbers from japan but he should at the very least be an rbi machine batting cleanup
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baseballnewb » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:15 am

People who look for racism in everything they read will always find it, don't worry about it.

Yes I think he could put up MVP numbers, if he can start to hit 2 seam FB's out of the park he will put up monster numbers.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:19 am

First of all, ditch the "abbreviation". Second, being a yankee fan, i can assure you that the contract year means nothing in his case. He gives it all 100% of the time. he's a guy that just plays the game the way it should be played. He's not going to play harder for money.

He won't come close to his Japanese totals, but 35 homers, 120 rbi's is within grasp. I don't see him getting serious MVP consideration because of the star power around him and because he is extremely underrated. Most people don't see him for the great player that he is.

Assuming he eventualy lands the cleanup spot, plays everygame like he always does healthy, how much better can this dude get? Huge leap from his first to second year, powers obviously there and he's proven he can hit MLB pitchers the second time around. Why can't he inch further towards his Japanese league totals of 2002? He's still not old, and oh yea hes in a contract year too.

[/i]
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:20 am

bselig wrote:not sure what you guys have against abbreviations, the word jap is fine; I have no idea if Matsui can match his power numbers from japan but he should at the very least be an rbi machine batting cleanup

some people find it offensive, some dont.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5160122

i am not sure if he can manage another increase in numbers or if he will level off but i have been getting him on most of my teams. should still hit for a decent average with 30+ homers, 100runs, 100+rbi. very good player to have your team and sometimes overlooked given all the other stars on the yanks.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby donny23 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:22 am

Sometimes you don't have to look, you jusst have to know history. That term has always been extremely derogatory since WWII. I'm sure you wouldn't be offeneded a bit if someone used what is well known as a derogatory term towards whatever race/ethnicity/nationaility you come from. :-t Oh, and by the way, I'm not japanese.

baseballnewb wrote:People who look for racism in everything they read will always find it, don't worry about it.

Yes I think he could put up MVP numbers, if he can start to hit 2 seam FB's out of the park he will put up monster numbers.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Frances The Mute » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:24 am

his apparent adjustment to MLB pitching seems pretty obvious.

HR increase from 16-31, OBP increase .353- .390 8-o ....It seems almost a given that his OPS will be up near 1.0 this year.

Seems like hes got a lot more potential then a lot of people give him credit for. I don't know anything about the JAPanese baseball league but he was a flat out beast the year before the yanks got him.

Does anyone know, is Giambi really gonna disappoint me and hit cleanup?

(please stop hijacking my post, I changed "Jap" to something else, how abbreviating his nationality is racist i don't know, but this post is more about hyping Matsui ok)
Last edited by Frances The Mute on Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:25 am

He'll be good, but not MVP good. Vlad plays in the same league as Matsui...
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers