If you could only pick one? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

If you could only pick one?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

If you could only pick one?

Postby HATA » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:41 am

In a points head to head non keeper league. We have one slot for a minor leaguer. So I am looking for a player that will start in the minors & will impact the bigs in 2005. (not a middle reliever or a 4th out fielder). I hear that Zach Duke will spend the 1st month in the minors before joining the rotation- but if I were to take an arm (preferable) I would like one on a team that wins a few more games. Any thoughts?
HATA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby oakiedragon » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:20 am

Here's some names to throw out there.
Felix Hernandez: Not absolutely garunteed to get called up to stay this year. But there really isnt anything holding him back. He should get called up anytime after the all-star break, barring a major injury to the rotation.
Brandon Mccarthy: the minors K leader last year. Has really impressed this spring, and would have started in the rotation if Buehlre was injured as bad as originally thought.
Denny Bautista- Good pitching prospect, right now is the front runner for the 5th spot in Kc's rotation. so he may not work for you. Hes had a great spring and if he has learned to control his plus stuff he could be a huge pickup.
Scott Baker(Min)- Hes a lesser known prospect, but he did very well this spring and is next in line for a spot in Min. rotation. He is not really a power pitcher, more finesse but he does typically throw 90-93. And he also changes speeds extremely well, better than most in the minors. He could get a callup sometime before the all-star break.
Ezequial Astacio(Hou)-Another lesser known prospect who is having a great spring under the radar. He is also in contention for the 5th spot but is less likely to get it not because he hasnt preformed well but rather because of his age. And the Astros dont want to start his 3 yr. arbitration clock too early.
cant think of anymore at the moment, if i do ill add them later. But i hope this helps. drop a line when its done and let us know who you picked.
oakiedragon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HATA » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:36 pm

Thanks for the names, mind you I’m not opposed to taking pitchers on losing teams- the best minor leaguer pick up last year was Greinke (and Orlando Hernandez). Let me know of any others you can think of- What about Germano? Will he make the rotation this year? I like that big park….
HATA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby GarnerPhils » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:15 pm

Astacio isn't that young. He turns 26 this year. Came over from Philly in the Billy Wagner deal. Redding and Duckworth are not that stable, though, and even Backe is no sure thing in Houston, so he might be worth a look. I like to wait until they are actually called up and see what their situation will be before I commit to a rookie pitcher. Good luck.
GarnerPhils
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby HATA » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:54 pm

Agreed, but the beauty of this rule is you can keep the guy in the minor league slot even after he reaches the bigs and only activate him when you are ready for him to score points for your team. So a little dice rolling is involved.
HATA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Minor League & College Baseball