Less Filling, Plays Great - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Less Filling, Plays Great

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tal1286 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:21 pm

SCARPARIELLI wrote:
I would say Ryan Howard over any 1B but Pujols pretty much

This is really getting out of hand. Best case scenario for Howard is Dunn-type numbers, and that's only if he isn't benched against lefties.

I'm not saying that he will put up better numbers...the point of the thread isn't that the person will be better...at least that't not how I see it. I think the thread is more geared towards players who will be undervalued...maybe I used the wrong words.

I do think, however, that Howard will likely be a top 5 1b, and if not this year, will certainly be one in the years to come.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:57 pm

I'm not saying that he will put up better numbers...the point of the thread isn't that the person will be better...at least that't not how I see it. I think the thread is more geared towards players who will be undervalued...maybe I used the wrong words.

I do think, however, that Howard will likely be a top 5 1b, and if not this year, will certainly be one in the years to come.

I don't think people will be getting Howard as cheaply as they might expect. He is 42 in the Yahoo O-Rank ahead of the likes of Thome, Huff, and Giambi all of which have the chance to put up same or (in the case of Huff and Giambi) much better numbers.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby SCARPARIELLI » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:09 am

Oh, I understood what you meant, but Howard is going as early as the 5th round in mocks. Now he MIGHT produce 5th round numbers this year, if everything breaks just right. I say he doesn't. A better "plays great..." example is probably Morneau, or Prince Fielder compared to Ryan Howard. You can actually get one of those guys 10 rounds later. 1st base is so frickin' deep that if I can't get Pujols or Tex and then miss out on Helton/Delgado/Lee/Berkman/Dunn/Konerko/Sexson, there is no way I'm going to reach for Ryan Howard to make up for that if I can wait for Giambi/Thome/Fielder/Morneau. See what I mean?

I think I am gonna act like the self-appointed Howard/Utley police around here this spring and see how that goes. BTW, Kent will (ironically) provide better value than Utley this year.

edit: I rattled off all of those 1bmen and for got about Papi!! and maybe Pronk!! there are no fewer than 15 other 1B who are comparable to or better than Ryan Howard.
SCARPARIELLI
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers