2005 Felix Hernandez thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

2005 Felix Hernandez thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2005 Felix Hernandez thread

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:21 am

More reason to like Felix Hernandez, well that is unless your a Yankee fan....

When he was 16 and being persued to sign a contract with a MLB team, he recalls the Yankees trying to sign him and this is what he said about it....

"I don't like the Yankees. I never did. I don't know why. The Yankees are too big. I could have gone with the Yankees but I really didn't like them. It's not the people. It's the team."

Sorry just made me smile a little ;-)

Anyways has anyone caught Felix pitch this ST? His last game was on MLB.TV against the Angels, which if you missed could watch now if you have it. His mound composure is just remarkable, even facing Vlad ... you wouldn't know it by his body language. You also wouldn't know it by the result, 3 fastballs later Vlad K'd. I'm guessing he was told to work on his fastball, since that is all he really threw. Cabrera though had the unfortunate luck of being the one who got to face his curve and well, he didn't look pretty (needless to say he couldn't hit the pitch and K'd as well).

I'm thinking the All-Star break, barring injury, is when he will be up. I figured I would make this thread for the time being that he is in the minor leagues.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:34 am

An article on Felix, during a previous outing...

http://mariners.scout.com/2/361345.html

And if you have a BA subscription, that have an article on him there as well...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/f ... felix.html
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ensanimal » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:37 pm

didn't get to see him pitch, but from what i've read, it seems everyone was impressed with the way he came back after having a rough outing his first time out. gotta be really mentally tough to come back strong after a bad outing in his situation.

kid seems like the real deal ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby hawgvike » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:45 pm

As a Felix owner in a dynsasty league I'm glad to see the M's putting him in the minors to start off the year. Supposedly all he has left to work on is his already fine command of his fastball and then he'll be completely ready for Seattle.

I saw the replay of last night and he was clearly working on his fastball as its stated above except to Cabrera. Good to see him K Vlad. That was an awesome sequence and it will be fun to see their battles in the years to come.
hawgvike
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:39 am

A very good compliment from one of the best:

• Catcher Miguel Olivo said he talked to Angels slugger Vladimir Guerrero after Felix Hernandez struck him out on Wednesday night. Olivo said Guerrero told him he couldn't even see the fastball that yielded the third strike. Hargrove said he was more impressed with Hernandez's curveball, and he would not say definitively that Hernandez won't be on the opening-day roster. While that is unlikely, Hernandez said he expects to start the season at Class AAA Tacoma and be promoted sometime later.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby messenjah » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:55 pm

The only question I really have is his control. Obviously it's at least average or better, but how good is it. I haven't heard anyone really rave about it, and I haven't really heard anyone knock him for it either, so I'm just trying to get an idea on how good his control is. Everything else, stuff, movement, composure, velocity, all seem to be there, but I haven't heard about his control. Anyone got any info?
messenjah
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:38 am

Well for an 18 year old pitching in High A and Double A, I'd say it was very good. Felix's walk ratio per 9 innings was on the whole year was around 2.75. The times I have seen him pitch he hasn't had a problem with control, that being said he still needs to work on it like every young pitcher ... but it really isn't anything to be worried about with him.

The few times he will walk a few is when he gets frustrated, he will tend to try and over throw and get into trouble. He had a couple times where that happened to him in AA, but what makes him impressive is that the next outing he would learn from it and start to dominate again. Experience alone will help him a lot in the control problem, learning to not get frustrated and over throw.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby 2k4cubs » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:02 pm

A tough day for Felix yesterday. I believe he gave up 8 runs in 2 and 2/3 innings. I guess he'll have those though.
2k4cubs
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby hybrid » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:24 pm

2k4cubs wrote:A tough day for Felix yesterday. I believe he gave up 8 runs in 2 and 2/3 innings. I guess he'll have those though.

Not that he didn't get roughed up, cause he did. But he gave up 8 hits, not runs ... though he did give up 5 ER's. He was fine the first 2 IP (didn't allow a run), but got in trouble in the 3. From the reports I read, he got frustrated and let it get to him by trying to throw harder. Also he was pitching on just 3 days rest, but I think it shows the he obviously needs more experience in the minors this year. That being said he is a quick learner ;-)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Vetterstrom » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:21 pm

Does anyone know if there is any video of Felix pitching on the internet?
Vetterstrom
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball