Ahh The South Is still back in 1860 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ahh The South Is still back in 1860

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ahh The South Is still back in 1860

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:06 pm

I went to school In Charleston. I've been to this Imax..Sometimes I think that southerners are plain out ignorant.

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (AP) -- IMAX theaters in several Southern cities have decided not to show a film on volcanoes out of concern that its references to evolution might offend those with fundamental religious beliefs.

"We've got to pick a film that's going to sell in our area. If it's not going to sell, we're not going to take it," said Lisa Buzzelli, director of an IMAX theater in Charleston that is not showing the movie. "Many people here believe in creationism, not evolution."

The film, "Volcanoes of the Deep Sea," makes a connection between human DNA and microbes inside undersea volcanoes.

Buzzelli doesn't rule out showing the movie in the future.

IMAX theaters in Texas, Georgia and the Carolinas have declined to show the film, said Pietro Serapiglia, who handles distribution for Stephen Low, the film's Montreal-based director and producer.

"I find it's only in the South," Serapiglia said.

Critics worry screening out films that mention evolution will discourage the production of others in the future.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:44 pm

Yep, keep living in your shell. The Earth was created 6,000 years ago, despite all evidence. Evolution doesn't exist, despite all evidence. So just keep going at it.

(And this is from a person who believes in God.)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:27 pm

Critics worry screening out films that mention evolution will discourage the production of others in the future.

As though that's a bad thing...

I don't see why people would boycott or be offended by a film like this. Just go see it and chuckle at the references. That's what I'd do.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Re: Ahh The South Is still back in 1860

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:13 pm

acsguitar wrote:
IMAX theaters in Texas, Georgia and the Carolinas have declined to show the film, said Pietro Serapiglia, who handles distribution for Stephen Low, the film's Montreal-based director and producer.

"I find it's only in the South," Serapiglia said.

you may think it is funny, but IMAX is absolutely correct,,,,,in the south where the southern baptists are the majority, it is just a smart business decision...... a movie like that would not do anything to bring the people into the theaters in the south, so why bring it in..... why should they pay to bring the movie to their theatre if they know up front they will get very few viewers???????? IMAX is just catering to their customers basically in a way.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:42 pm

I've never understood why Creationism and Evolutionism can't go hand in hand. They are not as contradictory as some of these loons make it out to be. But evolution (and I believe in it) isn't exactly provable.

Anyway, I agree with Rump. If the movie isn't going to sell tickets or is going to cause bad publicity no reason to show it.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby curious_george_43545 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:45 pm

If eveloution existed and we grew from like monkeys, why wouldn't their be part monkey part humans out there? ....Was that question as stupid as it sounded?
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:49 pm

Part monkey, part human? They are plenty of them. I work with a few. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:52 pm

If IMAX really wanted to make money in the South they could simply show reruns of HeeHaw and Dukes of Hazard.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby LBJackal » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:05 pm

Hey if people don't want to watch Apollo 13 because it references heliocentrism, then of course theatres aren't gonna show that movie. I'm sure a Columbus movie about the earth being flat would go over well though.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:49 am

We didn't evolve from monkeys..

...and at night, those aren't really stars, its just a dark blanket that has been draped over the sky, and the "stars" are just holes where the daylight is coming in. O:-)
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Next

Return to General Talk