D e e p S l e e p e r ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

D e e p S l e e p e r ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

D e e p S l e e p e r ?

Postby looptid » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:24 pm

And I mean deep. David Dellucci. I saw he hit 17 homeruns in only 331 at bats last season, and was kind of surprised. I checked out the yearly forcast comments at BP, and here is how they progressed:

1997 - He’s only 5’10”, which partly explains why he lasted until the 10th round of the 1995 draft after leading the SEC in hitting at .410. He’s done pretty well for himself in two professional seasons, hitting for average and showing a willingness to take a walk. Power is lacking, although that wasn’t a problem in college, and he plays all three outfield positions.
1997, AA, 23 yo, 385 AB - .327 / .418 / .574

1998 - A smallish, lightly-regarded 10th-round pick despite being a major conference batting champ, Dellucci has done nothing but hit and improve since turning pro. His defense is good; probably not good enough to play center in the majors like he did in Bowie, but full of hustling, diving plays in the mold of Rusty Greer. The only hitter in the system with a good chance to contribute next season. If he does, it’ll be in Arizona, who took him in the Expansion Draft.
1998, Diamondbacks, 24 yo, 416 AB - .260 / .318 / .399

1999 - One of the few good players the Diamondbacks took in the Expansion Draft, Dellucci hits OK for a center fielder, but probably not well enough to carry a corner spot. In limited action during a Devon White owie, he wasn't anything special with the glove. I thought he'd be more patient; in fact, Dellucci, Batista and Travis Lee all walked less than I thought they would. Given the history of Buck Showalter, it's hard to imagine this would be the result of instruction, and all three players should draw more walks this year.
1999, Diamondbacks, 25 yo, 109 AB - .394 / .463 / .505

2000 - Dellucci was having a nice season as a fill-in when he was sidelined by a degenerative bone condition, called Kienbock's disease, in his left wrist. Nobody has ever had this kind of disorder and returned to play baseball. It would be a shame if Dellucci’s career came to an end so soon, as he was coming into his own as a hitter and would have had a good chance to take part of the right-field job.
2000, AAA, 26 yo, 122 AB - .230 / .309 / .402

2001 - After surgery on his left wrist to correct a rare condition ended his 1999 season, David Dellucci struggled with a broken finger and tendinitis in his hand in 2000. Almost anything that gets written about him is going to be prefaced by some sort of discussion of the tragedy that a guy hitting almost .400 went down with an injury. Not to kick a guy while he’s down, but Dellucci's track record makes it pretty clear that 1999 was a fluke. He will have to fight for a bench job.
2001, Diamondbacks, 27 yo, 217 AB - .276 / .349 / .479

2002 - Dellucci stays healthy about as long as Carl Everett keeps his mouth shut. Dellucci’s career has been interrupted by surgery to correct a congenital wrist problem, a blown-out ankle, and numerous knee injuries. What all that means is that Dellucci is 28 years old with just 903 plate appearances in his career and a lot of lost development time. Right now, he’s a very good fourth outfielder/pinch hitter who can handle both corners, and he may still have a small spike ahead of him.
2002, Diamondbacks, 28 yo, 229 AB - .245 / .326 / .402

2003 - A variety of injuries have robbed Mississippi standout Dellucci of his chance to be a surprise star, but he still has the capability to jump up with a .300/.380/.530 season. He’s fragile, but he still covers enough ground and throws well enough to play a creditable right field, or share a job and get 400 productive PAs.
2003, DBacks/Yankees, 29 yo, 216 AB - .227 / .313 / .352

2004 - Unavailable.
2004, Rangers, 30 yo, 331 AB - .242 / .342 / .441

2005 - He of the great expansion draft steal and grisly arm and wrist problems had a nice little season, only hinting at what might have been had he been able to stay healthy throughout his career. He's been signed to an extention, and will likely share the DH duties with Greg Colbrun this year in Arlington, a duo which could prove to be a nifty little bargain.
2005, Rangers, 31 yo, ? - ? / ? / ?

I picked him up for $2 in an AL-Only league. I'm excited.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby donny23 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:35 pm

Don't be too excited. Adrian Gonzalez already appears to be set to eat into his DH time. He likely won't get more than 400 at bats
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jellyroll » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:10 pm

donny23 wrote:Don't be too excited. Adrian Gonzalez already appears to be set to eat into his DH time. He likely won't get more than 400 at bats

yep.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby looptid » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:13 pm

:,-(
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Dellucci Update

Postby looptid » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:28 pm

Gonzalez has been sent down, and Dellucci has been named the everyday DH now. He only has 43 plate apperances, but so far he's produced.

.276 AVG / .512 OBP / .621 SLG with 2 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 11 R, 7 RBI, and 2-for-2 in steals. Not too shabby. He's walking a lot and slugging a ton.

He homered in 4.39% of his plate apperances last season when he hit 17 homeruns in limited play, and he's homered in 4.65% of his plate apperances this season. I think he's already made the $2 I spent on him.

The guy has some skill, but suffered that grizzly wrist injury. Looks like he's playing up to his potential. Not saying he's going to be an all-star or anything of the sort, but I bet he's unclaimed in most leagues and is at least deserving of a bench spot.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CPHFighter1 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:42 pm

I agree. The problem is they think he can't hit lefties. Last year, he hit a home run every 19.5 at bats. This was better than Jose Guillen, Geoff Jenkins and Andruw Jones last year. I say give him a shot every day and season Adrian until September.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:44 am

I like him in an AL only league for sure.

Or, if you are in a league with a fair ammount of bench spots and can afford it, play Dellucci against righties and Mench against lefties. Mench kills lefties, so this would give you pretty nice composite numbers for guys who could well be on the WW in mixed leagues.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guttenburg » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:44 pm

Pretty good performance again tonight for Dellucci.

With Gonzalez being sent down, this guy is looking to be in the right place at the right time.
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MMoNeY24 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:47 pm

I grabbed him for Nixon in my 14 teamer. Looking pretty good right now as everyday DH and worse comes to worse, he's not something that isn't expendable if he's bad.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Paco625 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:24 am

The question is, who will be the better fantasy player, Dellucci or Mench?
Paco625
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers