Bowling Thread part 2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bowling Thread part 2

Postby ensanimal » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:30 pm

Madison wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Madison wrote:
Tavish wrote:Actually in all three games I was two strikes short

A cleverly hidden trivia question that a few people are probably scratching their heads about, so here's the answer. A spare in the second frame (doesn't matter if it's a gutter spare, or a 9 count and spare, it equals the same score), and a 9 count on the 12th shot (3rd shot in the 10th frame. Strike, strike, 9 count). All the rest were strikes. Like this:

X ?/ X X X X X X X XX9=279. ;-)

:-)

Very nice, although there is another way to reach the 279 mark with only 10 strikes. :-)

Front 10, then a gutter or foul, then a 9 count. Didn't figure that was the case here though. ;-)

i don't understand a word here :*)
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:36 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Might as well ask if anyone saw Liz Johnson on the PBA show last week...I thought that was pretty cool. It kind of stunk that she won the first match because the other guy foot fouled twice ( :-B ), but she still won. :-)

The PBA really needs a Jennie Finch or Anna Kournikova. I'm not sure how many guys would tune in to watch Liz Johnson's follow-through. :-o
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:42 pm

ensanimal wrote:
Madison wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Madison wrote:
Tavish wrote:Actually in all three games I was two strikes short

A cleverly hidden trivia question that a few people are probably scratching their heads about, so here's the answer. A spare in the second frame (doesn't matter if it's a gutter spare, or a 9 count and spare, it equals the same score), and a 9 count on the 12th shot (3rd shot in the 10th frame. Strike, strike, 9 count). All the rest were strikes. Like this:

X ?/ X X X X X X X XX9=279. ;-)

:-)

Very nice, although there is another way to reach the 279 mark with only 10 strikes. :-)

Front 10, then a gutter or foul, then a 9 count. Didn't figure that was the case here though. ;-)

i don't understand a word here :*)

It's a bowling thing. :-b

Layman's terms. First 10 strikes in a row. Then a zero count (ball in the gutter or your foot goes over the foul line) and then you get 9 pins on your final shot. Get it now? :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pacman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:43 pm

Madison wrote:
Candle pin bowling? I've heard and read about it, but it's one thing I've never tried. Did try duckpins one time, but never candle pin bowling. Interesting. ;-D

It's really difficult to find a tenpin bowling alley in my area (North Shore of Massachuetts). It's all candlepin here, has been my whole life. But back in the 80s, you still could find a few tenpin lanes, but you might have to travel a bit to get there. Now they're all gone. It's candlepin or nothing up here.

Candlepin Bowling Pins

Big differences: softball-sized ball (no holes); taller, narrower pins, and THREE balls per box! Despite the extra ball-per box, scores are MUCH lower than in tenpin. Anything over 100 in candlepin is a very good string. Strikes and spares are much more rare in candlepin.
Last edited by Pacman on Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby acsguitar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:45 pm

Pacman wrote:
Madison wrote:
Candle pin bowling? I've heard and read about it, but it's one thing I've never tried. Did try duckpins one time, but never candle pin bowling. Interesting. ;-D

It's really difficult to find a tenpin bowling alley in my area (North Shore of Massachuetts). It's all candlepin here, has been my whole life. But back in the 80s, you still could find a few tenpin lanes, but you might have to travel a bit to get there. Now they're all gone. It's candlepin or nothing up here.

Big differences: softball-sized ball (no holes); taller, narrower pins, and THREE balls per box! Despite the extra ball-per box, scores are MUCH lower than in tenpin. Anything over 100 in candlepin is a very good string. Strikes and spares are much more rare in candlepin.

We called this duck pin bowling...
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:45 pm

Tavish wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:Might as well ask if anyone saw Liz Johnson on the PBA show last week...I thought that was pretty cool. It kind of stunk that she won the first match because the other guy foot fouled twice ( :-B ), but she still won. :-)

The PBA really needs a Jennie Finch or Anna Kournikova. I'm not sure how many guys would tune in to watch Liz Johnson's follow-through. :-o

Yeah, there aren't super-babes on tour (and we've talked about some decent chicks before), but I like Cara Honeychurch. I know Mad likes Kim Adler, and Carolyn Dorin-Ballard ain't bad for an "older" lady. :-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pacman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:51 pm

acsguitar wrote:We called this duck pin bowling...

It's different than duck pin. Pins are shaped different. Duckpins are more like little tenpin bowling pins (same shape, but smaller). Candlepins are different (see pic above). Not sure if the ball size or scoring in duckpin is the same as candlepin (it may be).
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pacman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:54 pm

By the way:

KINGPIN -- excellent bowling movie!

Vanessa Angel.... grrrrr...

;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ensanimal » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:57 pm

Madison wrote:
Layman's terms. First 10 strikes in a row. Then a zero count (ball in the gutter or your foot goes over the foul line) and then you get 9 pins on your final shot. Get it now? :-D

gotcha, thanks ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:57 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Yeah, there aren't super-babes on tour (and we've talked about some decent chicks before), but I like Cara Honeychurch. I know Mad likes Kim Adler, and Carolyn Dorin-Ballard ain't bad for an "older" lady. :-D

Her sister Kathy Dorin-Lizzie is hotter and more friendly. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk