Who are the frist 12 picks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who are the frist 12 picks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tuff_gong » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:53 pm

my league is a 10 team H2H league. but here were the first 12...

A. Pujols
Á. Rodríguez
C. Beltrán
V. Guerrero
B. Abreu
A. Soriano
M. Tejada
M. Ramírez (thats me with the 8th pick)
J. Santana
Todd Helton
Ichiro Suzuki
Barry Bonds

ps:thankfully everyone in the latter half of my draft thinks RJ will be hurt/bad so i was able to snag him with the 13th overall pick, i think that could end up being one of the best picks in the draft.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseballnewb » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:16 am

In a 12 team I'd rate them as follows... note in a 14 team arod becomes #1 simply because 3B is no longer deep in a 14 team league.

1. Pujols - foot is a concern but he still hasn't seen his best year.
2. Vlad - I don't think he'll steal this year and will likely slip some
3. Arod - 40 HR, 25 SB, batting 2nd for yanks, can't go wrong
4. Beltran (sorry he went from 2 hitting parks to a pitcher park and a huge contract that means he won't run as much most likely, his value will slide this year).
5. Abreu - True 5 stat players ARE worth a 5th round pick.
6. Tejada - positional eligibility
7. Manny - steady as they come, a sure thing
8. Santana - best sure thing pitcher out there, though I would never take him 1st round, but somebody else will.
9. Helton - see manny, only concern is the weak lineup around him
10. Crawford - not worth a 1st round pick but no reason to take a big bopper here when so many are so close in value, you'll get a thome, ortiz, teix type on the rebound in round 2.
11. Suzuki - see crawford
12. RJ - too high an injury risk, not big on him.
OR
12. Soriano - I think his numbers stay like last year personally, I would not take RJ and soriano back to back here though, its an either or situation.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby -Slap- » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:20 am

Here are the first 12 picks from some CBS Platinum Leagues. Team names have been deleted to protect the innocent:

Round 1
1 Albert Pujols (1B STL)
2 Carlos Beltran (OF NYM)
3 Johan Santana (P MIN)
4 Alex Rodriguez (3B NYY)
5 Vladimir Guerrero (OF ANA)
6 Yah Mule Bobby Abreu (OF PHI) ;-D
7 Manny Ramirez (OF BOS)
8 Jason Schmidt (P SF)
9 Miguel Tejada (SS BAL)
10 Todd Helton (1B COL)
Round 2
11 Alfonso Soriano (2B TEX)
12 Randy Johnson (P NYY)

Round 1
1 Randy Johnson (P NYY)
2 Albert Pujols (1B STL)
3 Jason Schmidt (P SF)
4 Vladimir Guerrero (OF ANA)
5 Carlos Beltran (OF NYM)
6 Yah Mule Alex Rodriguez (3B NYY) :-D
7 Miguel Tejada (SS BAL)
8 Johan Santana (P MIN)
9 Alfonso Soriano (2B TEX)
10 Ichiro Suzuki (OF SEA)
Round 2
11 Todd Helton (1B COL)
12 Manny Ramirez (OF BOS)

Round 1
1 Alex Rodriguez (3B NYY)
3 Yah Mule Albert Pujols (1B STL) B-)
4 Vladimir Guerrero (OF ANA)
5 Randy Johnson (P NYY)
6 Manny Ramirez (OF BOS)
7 Johan Santana (P MIN)
8 Barry Bonds (OF SF)
9 Bobby Abreu (OF PHI)
10 Miguel Tejada (SS BAL)
Round 2
11 Jim Thome (1B PHI)
12 Alfonso Soriano (2B TEX)

Round 1
1 Albert Pujols (1B STL)
2 Yah Mule Vladimir Guerrero (OF ANA) :-)
3 Alex Rodriguez (3B NYY)
4 Carlos Beltran (OF NYM)
5 Miguel Tejada (SS BAL)
6 Johan Santana (P MIN)
7 Bobby Abreu (OF PHI)
8 Todd Helton (1B COL)
9 Manny Ramirez (OF BOS)
10 Randy Johnson (P NYY)
Round 2
11 Jason Schmidt (P SF)

Round 1
1 Yah Mule Albert Pujols (1B STL) :-b
3 Alex Rodriguez (3B NYY)
4 Johan Santana (P MIN)
5 Vladimir Guerrero (OF ANA)
6 Randy Johnson (P NYY)
7 Manny Ramirez (OF BOS)
8 Todd Helton (1B COL)
9 Bobby Abreu (OF PHI)
10 Jason Schmidt (P SF)
Round 2
11 Miguel Tejada (SS BAL)
Aaron 755
Ruth 714
Mays 660
Griffey 593
Robinson 586
Killebrew 573
Jackson 563
Schmidt 548
Mantle 536
Foxx 534
-Slap-
College Coach
College Coach

Postby xeifrank » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:27 am

OREO fan wrote:beltran's power will go down this year - i bet he wont crack 100 rbi and will probably get around 100 runs - throw in a .275 average in a tough hitter's park (just having good road #s does not mean he will be good in shea) and i dont see how he enters into thsi equation - i almost agree with the one guy who would take abreu over him

uh, thanks! That would almost be me. :)

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:40 am

Our 12 came as follows but a 10 team league pts based. Me 8th pick

1.Pujols
2.Vlad
3.Arod
4.Gagne
5.Manny
6.RJ
7.Beltran
8.Santana*
9.Schmidt
10.Soriano
11.Rolen
12.M.Rivera
13.Tejada* My 2nd rd steal ;-D

Oh btw -Slap-, I like your All-time HR leaders list with the glaring omissions of a select few ;-D
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby -Slap- » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:09 pm

Jack-In-A-Box wrote:Oh btw -Slap-, I like your All-time HR leaders list with the glaring omissions of a select few ;-D

Thanks. If Bud was a man, the record books would be recalled and amended tomorrow.
Aaron 755
Ruth 714
Mays 660
Griffey 593
Robinson 586
Killebrew 573
Jackson 563
Schmidt 548
Mantle 536
Foxx 534
-Slap-
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Par66 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:56 pm

bump

since i thought it was an interesting post... and since i didn't know how to "link" it to my recent post discussing the "next 12"
Par66
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tukka » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:24 am

8 team, H2H, standard 5x5 ... somewhat tainted by the small league I guess, and the fact that one of our managers is a big Yankees/Jeter fan.

Code: Select all
Round Overall Player
1     1       A. Rodriguez
1     2       V. Guerrero
1     3       A. Pujols
1     4       M. Tejada
1     5       C. Beltran
1     6       R. Johnson
1     7       J. Santana
1     8       P. Martinez
2     9       A. Soriano
2     10      M. Ramirez
2     11      D. Jeter
2     12      J. Schmidt

I was picking fifth, which I liked because it made my decision pretty easy. I really wasn't sure how to rank the first five guys, but knew I wanted one of them. Beltran is the guy who had caught my eye the most, so I'm glad I ended up with him, but picking him before the other four guys would have been a hard decision for me.
Tukka Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jjigglers » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:29 am

Tukka wrote:8 team, H2H, standard 5x5 ... somewhat tainted by the small league I guess, and the fact that one of our managers is a big Yankees/Jeter fan.

Code: Select all
Round Overall Player
1     1       A. Rodriguez
1     2       V. Guerrero
1     3       A. Pujols
1     4       M. Tejada
1     5       C. Beltran
1     6       R. Johnson
1     7       J. Santana
1     8       P. Martinez
2     9       A. Soriano
2     10      M. Ramirez
2     11      D. Jeter
2     12      J. Schmidt

I was picking fifth, which I liked because it made my decision pretty easy. I really wasn't sure how to rank the first five guys, but knew I wanted one of them. Beltran is the guy who had caught my eye the most, so I'm glad I ended up with him, but picking him before the other four guys would have been a hard decision for me.

great getting beltran, but you dropped the ball not getting abreu in the 2nd.

EDIT:
oh, and my top 12.
the top tier
Pujols (first if you dont think his injury will bother him)
ARod (first if you think last year was a fluke, and he'll get used to the park/lineup/division, AND dont trust later 3B)
Beltran (first if you think his average will go up, his power numbers will go up, and he'll continue to steal)
Vlad (first if you dont think his injury will bother him)

then,
Tejada (if you believe in position scarcity, and that SS is scarce)
Abreu (the surest thing this far in the draft, 30HR, 30SB, 100R, 100 RBI, .300 AVG seems routine)
Soriano (if you believe in position scarcity, and that 2B is scarce)
Helton (100/100/30/.330 seems very likely at Coors. solid, not much injury risk)
Ramirez (the second sure bet of the first round, you know what you get when you draft manny)
Ichiro (probably monster average, also probably monster runs in the lineup, who knows about his SB? better than crawford? in my eyes, yes)
Santana (if you are the type that needs a stud SP to feel safe, he was lights out in the 2nd half, can he keep it up?)
Johnson (old as dirt, but reliable as dirt as well, as long as he doesnt get hurt, should be a frontrunner for AL cy young)

my rankings and reasoning.
1. ARod (for me, the closest thing to a sure thing in the first four picks, no real injury risk, not beefed up like he was on roids, plus i think OF is very deep this year with a lot of quality sleepers)
2. Pujols (usually ARod is available here, but if not, Pujols is the least injury risk out of him and Vlad, and Beltran is overrated to me. when healthy, pujols is a beast)
3. Beltran (much less of an injury risk than pujols/vlad, help in SB is a bonus, but personally i think he isnt going to improve much on last year, worse park, fat contract, etc)
4. Vlad (hopefully beltran is available here, becuase Vlad is due for an injury that keeps him out for a significant period of time. when healthy, he is definately worth it here, but i want to feel safe with my 1st rounder)

to the next tier..
5. Tejada (if i'm drafting here, i want tejada. SS is position scarce, as mock drafts have most SS going off the board before their actual ranking. to get rollins/nomar/furcal you have to reach higher than what they are worth. save yourself the trouble and draft the MLB RBI leader)
6. Abreu (once again, consistent, not much more to say. if i have the 6th slot, most likely someone will slip from above, and if not, there's Abreu)
7. Ramirez (he doesnt really overwhelm statistically, but basically every stat (save SB) is well above average. solid pick)
8. Soriano (regardless of his plate discipline and ugly trends downwards, i think he has some value here. if you're waiting on giles to be your top 2B, NEWSFLASH, most of the rest of the owners are too. solidify your 2B slot here, and run with it)

and to the next tier.
by now, you'd better hope that someone has taken a pitcher (and yes, they will have) so:
9. Helton (pretty much a lock for 100/100/30/.330, i.e. a poor man's pujols but not much worse. no he isnt worth the 9th pick in the draft, but trust me, by now someone will have taken a pitcher)
10. Ichiro (seemingly a lock for 100R/50SB/.350 with a bunch of upside, you wont have to take him with the 10th pick, but in the early 2nd round, Ichiro and Helton are great values)

I'm forgetting something aren't I? Ahhh, the pitchers. Pitchers are fragile little creatures, and very succeptible to injury and/or regression. to put it simply, pitchers are not my type of people. if the first round played out as it did above, and at the 11 or 12th spot, and both Santana and Johnson are available, here's how i would take them)
11. Santana (draft and trade, but quite frankly, more likely to be healthy and pitching well in the fantasy playoffs than RJ)
12. Johnson (draft and trade, i'm not putting first round stock in a player i dont feel can fight time)
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tukka » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:05 am

great getting beltran, but you dropped the ball not getting abreu in the 2nd.

Haha, then I guess I also dropped the ball in the 3rd round when I didn't pick him up there either. He went in the 4th round in my league.

But you may be right, looking at my lineup ... I don't have a lot of speed to compliment Beltran, and he probably doesn't steal enough bases to get it done on his own. I'm not a baseball or fantasy baseball expert, and as such don't have a great deal of familiarity with different players, so I basically did my best to rank players by overall value and just picked the best value I could, taking position depth and my own positional needs into account. I didn't pay as much attention as I should have, probably, to the scoring categories for each player. But it's my first season so I was feeling a bit overwhelmed as it is.

Ah well. I may investigate some trading possibilities to help fill those gaps that I do have.
Tukka Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers