Interested in your view (and will return the favor) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Interested in your view (and will return the favor)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interested in your view (and will return the favor)

Postby uprightcitizen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:16 pm

I would love to hear your feedback on my team:

League Info
-------------
Teams: 12
Type: Head-To-Head Keeper League
Each week we play a starter at each position,3 OFs, a DH, 4 SPs, and 2 RPs.

Category Pts
Saves 5
Wins 10
Innings Pitched 3
Strikeouts 1
Losses -5
Earned Runs -2
Walks (Pitcher) -1
Hits (Pitcher) -1
Complete Games 5
Hit Batsmen -1
Wild Pitches -1
Shutouts (CG Only) 10
Holds 4
Blown Saves -3
Singles 1
Doubles 2
Triples 3
Home Runs (Batter) 4
RBI 1
Stolen Bases 2
Caught Stealing -1
Walks (Batter) 1
Hit By Pitch 1
Errors In Field -1
Four Hit Games 4
Runs (Batter) 1
Batter Strikeouts -1

Team Info
------------
Starters:
Position Name Team
C Posada, Jorge    NYY
1B Sexson, Richie    SEA
2B Roberts, Brian    BAL
3B Mora, Melvin    BAL
SS Furcal, Rafael    ATL
OF Sheffield, Gary    NYY
OF Sosa, Sammy    BAL
OF Wilson, Preston    COL
DH Giambi, Jason    NYY
SP Johnson, Randy NYY
SP Mulder, Mark STL
SP Lieber, Jon PHI
SP Wright, Jaret NYY
RP Ryan, B.J. BAL
RP Hoffman, Trevor SDG
Reserved:
Position Name Team
1B Martinez, Tino NYY
2B Hudson, Orlando TOR
3B Ensberg, Morgan HOU
OF Bigbie, Larry BAL
OF Wilkerson, Brad WAS
1B Thomas, Frank CHA
UT Upton, B.J. TAM
SP Backe, Brandon    HOU
SP Hernandez, Orlando    CHA
RP Gordon, Tom NYY

Not sure whether I should play Preston Wilson or Brad Wilkerson as my third outfielder. Or if Sosa proves unproductive I suppose both might be a better alternative.

I feel very confident with Johnson and Mulder as my two aces, but Lieber and Wright are far from sure-bets. Lieber at Citizen's Bank Park could give up a load of hits and Wright could easily get hurt. My back-ups in SP are even more of hit-or-miss with El Duque (incredibly talented but injury-prone) and Backe (no one really knows what he's capable of). Both of them have had good preseasons for what it's worth.

I pulled up a couple of prospects in the later round (B.J. Upton being the crown of them). I could see Frank Thomas helping me out once he gets healthy (if it ever happens). And Tom Gordon should be a decent replacement if Hoffman gets injured.

My league is very well-informed all around and the teams are generally pretty even-divided (I think mine is deeper than most). I am very curious to see what any informed fantasy players have to say and any advice on where to go from here.
Last edited by uprightcitizen on Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uprightcitizen
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

anyone?

Postby uprightcitizen » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:15 pm

been sending reviews on other people's teams... just curious for some feedback on this one. send me your team and i'll try to give my two cents on it.
uprightcitizen
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Big Papi » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:33 pm

that is a solid team.

I love the IF, the OF is somewhat shaky. Nothing to worry about TOO much with sheff there, but who knows about preston and sammy. I would plug in wilkerson, thats just my opinon. Pitching is great, can't complain, not too sure on ryan, but if all goes well good closers, tho i'm not a huge fan of hoffman...he gets the job done.

Overall I like it, just upgrade that OF I think for someone a little more consistent or proven.
The Big Papi
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby uprightcitizen » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:53 pm

thanks a lot for the input. funny you should mention hoffman as i'm not big on him either... however, i didn't draft any RPs until about the 18th round and he was one of the few still available.

i'm iffy on sosa as well but he was another one that stuck around too late for me not to grab.

as far as the wilkerson/wilson thing, i'm very unfamiliar with both of them besides what i see on a stat sheet. if anyone is a fan of either of these guys, let me know your opinions as well as i'm unsold on either of them, but i think both may have strong years.
uprightcitizen
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BigW27 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:22 pm

Your team is Tight all around. I think that Sosa is going to be a big surprise especiall in that Ball park. P. Wilson if healthy will be a force. Another sleeper will be Giambi, If he comes back to the way he was, your going to be a very happy camper. Randy Johnson and Mark Mulder are a nice 1-2 and J. Wright with all the attention on R. Johnson will win 16 games maybe more. I'm not to crazy about bigbie, try to pick up someone like J. Lane , K. Mench, A. Rios or C. Monroe. Other than that your team looks Solid. I love that 1-2 combo. ;-D
BigW27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Interested in your view (and will return the favor)

Postby zeeko20 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:10 pm

I like your infield but be wary of Sexson and his shoulder. He hurt it just swinging the bat so it sounds like something that could come up again. Hopefully he has a good year, I like the big man. Mora is underrated..nice work there. Sheff is solid of course....in my opinion it would take a minor miracle for Sosa to get his AVG and OBP back in the respectable range but he should knock some homers and get RBI. He's always been streaky which could play to your advantage in H2H if you aren't afraid to bench him when he is cold.

I'm a Wilkerson fan, I'd start him over Sammy until Sosa shows signs of life. If Preston Wilson is healthy he will be a little better than Wilkerson. Giambi is another big IF....I like your low cost gambles though.

Randy and Mulder will take you a long way and I'm big on Lieber this year as well. Not walking hitters, striking out some, and inducing ground balls goes a long way in the NL. I think Wright will get pounded this year, I'd trade him if he starts well.

Your closers are great. As someone else suggested I'd pick up Lane or another high upside OF over Bigbie...and probably try to find someone to gamble on besides Tino. Maybe the Yankees will squeeze one more season out of him though.

You've got a lot of gambles and I hope they pay off for you. My biggest mistakes with teams like this in the past is holding on too long when better players emerge on the waiver wire. Don't be afraid to drop deadweight for the hot hand now and again. Good luck!
My name is zeeko20, and I'm a Jose Reyes-aholic.
[url=http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=800863#800863]Please Rate My Team![/url] :)
zeeko20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby uprightcitizen » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:31 pm

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the comments a great deal.

Zeeko, I do have a number of "low cost gambles" like you said, and I like that you put it that way. I can deal with it if a couple of them don't pan out as I want, but I don't expect much crashing-and-burning in any of them. I got most of the "if"s so late in the draft that even if they pan out half as much as I hope I will be happy. I'll follow your advice to watch the waiver and jump on a hot hitter.

Bigbie and Tino were my last two picks in the 25 round draft we held, and I'm definitely for dealing them or dropping them if I find something better. I remember that Bigbie came back after being hurt at the end of last year and hit somewhere around .340 for the last month and a half or so. Doesn't have too much pop in his bat though. I couldn't let Tino go undrafted being the starting first basemen on one of the most potent offenses in baseball. (Although Bernie is still on waivers in the OF.)

I think when drafting I found a couple offenses that I liked (Yankees, Baltimore) and drafted a lot of my team around them. I figure they can bounce off each other and if some of my team is flourishing than the rest of it should benefit.

Thanks again for the advice and I'm going to check out the waivers and the other teams to see if I can find some higher-payoff gambles in the guys you suggested.
Let me know what you think of my team:
[url]http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=255263[/url]
uprightcitizen
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby uprightcitizen » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:48 pm

Just checked waivers and noticed Monroe and Lane were available. Anyone have any opinions on who might be stronger of those two? Both appear to have starting jobs in the outfield now, and both have the opportunity to increase their power a lot.
Let me know what you think of my team:
[url]http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=255263[/url]
uprightcitizen
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BigW27 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:45 am

They're both good...I'd take Monroe, only because he'll beat out Nook Logan and Dewayne Wise for CF and Detroit's lineup is going to tear $#*t up.

After Kent and Beltran left the Astros, only one word...Weak! :,-(

Go with Monroe. ;-D
BigW27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zeeko20 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:26 pm

BigW27 wrote:They're both good...I'd take Monroe, only because he'll beat out Nook Logan and Dewayne Wise for CF and Detroit's lineup is going to tear $#*t up.

After Kent and Beltran left the Astros, only one word...Weak! :,-(

Go with Monroe. ;-D

I like Lane better and Berkman will give him a little help after a month or so. But Lane has playing time issues, so go with Monroe until Lane shows something.
My name is zeeko20, and I'm a Jose Reyes-aholic.
[url=http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=800863#800863]Please Rate My Team![/url] :)
zeeko20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team